Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doonie_gw

Smalti Outdoor Mosaic for a newbie!

doonie
13 years ago

Hi all! I am new to this forum, but thought I'd try it to see if I can get any more information to help me with a smalti tile installation.

I have never mosiaced before, but I love the look of smalti tile. I have an arched inset area above my covered grill that currently has a plywood base and one sheet of cement board screwed and "glued" in place with mastic. I have a second piece of cement board that I will start working on transfering my design too, which was laid out on a piece of posterboard.

So what's the best way to transfer this smalti to the cement board. I think I am supposed to use thinset to self grout them? I bought some mosaic contact paper to aid me, but I am nervous about starting and how in the heck am I supposed to keep the thinset moist? Can I do this in a single day?

The surround stones in the mosiac are travertine and slate, which I will seal first. My thought was to set them first and then transfer the smalti. I think I need will need to grout the surround stones, right?

Anyway, any and all help is so much appreciated.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (5)