Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stone sealer for slate mosaic table

Posted by Kieran1973 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 6:44

Hi all,
We've recently bought a mosaic table for our garden (www.europaleisure.co.uk/2011/12/durango-firepit/ - a bit pricey, but a beautiful item, and barbecuing your dinner at the table is great fun) - the surface material is listed by the manufacturer as 'natural slate', set on a metal base plate with some sort of grainy cement. The manufacturer says that although the table is weatherproof, it should be brought indoors over the winter as it is not frost-resistant; we really don't have room indoors to do this, however, so I'm looking for a stone sealer for it, particularly to protect against frost. Can anybody recommend one? nanoShell Stone looks quite snazzy, but I can't find any reviews of it online; does anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stone sealer for slate mosaic table

That's a very beautiful table/firepit. Re sealing it for winter, it is my understanding of sealers that they are for sealing it from stains - not waterproofing or frost prevention. Can you take just the table top inside - maybe in your garage or some covered area?

o
RE: Stone sealer for slate mosaic table

Indeed, most sealers don't seem to mention frost, which is why I was looking at nanoShell (http://www.nanoshell.co.uk/protective-coatings/stone-sealer), which claims to prevent frost damage. Although as you say, it is a lovely (and very expensive) table, so we thought we might as well get it protected against stains as well; the manufacturer says the slate is susceptible to stains. We really don't want to bring it indoors, so we thought a combination of sealer, agricultural fleece (which the manufacturer has tentatively said could help against frost damage by reducing condensation) and a rain cover would hopefully do the trick...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here