Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ceramic AND glass kiln?

Posted by anniefran (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 9, 09 at 1:47

I'm a newcomer to glass work, and a ceramics novice...I've only taken classes where someone else does the firing.
Now I want to get my own firing capabilities and I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a dual-purpose kiln--one that can fire ceramics and also fuse glass. I'm assuming the difference between glass and ceramics is that you need more heat for glass.
Any advice? BRands? sources? costs?
thanks in advance!
Anne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ceramic AND glass kiln?

The Paragon Janus Ovation can fire both pottery and glass. I want one!

o

Oh yes I want one too but at $4000 I guess most of us will be wanting a long time

o

When I was doing ceramics I had a paragon hobby kiln.
220Volt, and it did glass and ceramics.
Check out thier website, then watch Craigs list and others like that.
You can usually get one at a reasonable price.
When I sold mine it was 10yrs old, pristeen condition and I sold it for $300.00.

o

OH DON"T get me going on the kiln coveting now.....!!!!

o

I have an EZ-PRO that I got at Delphi Glass (delphiglass.com) and I can do both glass adn ceramics in it. It is smaller, so it only cost a little over $600 when I bought it a couple of years ago. I love it.

o

I have 2 kilns both Paragon. One small 110v and one LARGE
Paragon that will hold the kitchen sink. LOL I fire ceramics and glass in both. I got mine at a college art dept auction. Craigslist has them all the time. Go to Paragon.com and look. They also have a scratch and dent section at their plant in Dallas. You can get some really good deals there. Call them for info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here