Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silvamae

What are you working on?

silvamae
11 years ago

This board has been my home away from home for many years and I am sad to see it so slow ..... so, what are you working on?

I have done a large, round wall hanging, a space motif, (again) ! but it has yet to be grouted. I am procrastinating because I dislike using black grout - it's so messy - yet I love the look of it, so that's what I will be using. I have also made a charming little Italian birdhouse that is at the grouting stage also.

But I am side-tracked because I am making a brooch bridal bouquet for a friend and that's what I've been working on tonight. It's going to be gorgeous! If you haven't heard of them yet, Google it or go to Etsy and search "brooch bridal bouquet." She requested jewel tones and gold metal tones so that's what we're working with. It is so much fun.

School will start back up soon and I will have more free time to dedicate to mosaic work.

So tell me, what are you working on?

Comments (120)

• texaswild
    11 years ago

I LOVE it. Tricky business to make all those different sized squares come out right. It's a GORGEOUS frame that should please ANYONE. Good luck on your Christmas sales. You must have a good market down there. I sooooo miss the Austin area.

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Looking good!!! Just LOVE the dragon fly one too!!!

• silvamae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Finished the two mirrors today - changed my mind on the grout and used a sand color. I am happy with them - it's HIP to be SQUARE!

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's latest (two mirrors)

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

ooh those are really great, I like the sand grout too and I wouldn't have guessed that but it works on these

• texaswild
    11 years ago

Beautiful mosaicing - lovely mirrors. The grout is PERFECT. I bought some yesterday for the little house I'm making. First time I won't be using charcoal or black for years.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just finished this, a 3-part wall hanging. Checking to see if my Flickr link works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's Flickr Mosaics

• texaswild
    11 years ago

What a nice hanging - so beautifully made. Doncha just love Dichroic glass. That stuff is out of sight expensive.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know. I love it but I have to use it sparingly.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did a weird looking piece of bark on a Wedi board and called it "Asteroid" and I love it but my husband thinks it's peculiar. I was asking his opinion of pricing before I took my stuff to the Open House yesterday and when I held up "Asteroid" he wrinkled his nose and said "I don't know -- $39?" I counted the dichroic cabs I had in the background and said "I've got $48 in these alone!"

I enjoyed the Open House tremendously, the lady whose house it was is the nicest person and so are all her friends and neighbors.

Only the small stuff sold; the highest pieces that sold were for $40.00.

To see something else I recently made (not mosaic) go to Conversations.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Click link to see my Transportation birdhouse . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: Transportation birdhouse

• texaswild
    11 years ago

It's darlin', SILVA. Love all the tess you put in it.

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

Yes it is so cute!!

• silvamae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Remember the "Out of this world" space mosaics I did last year? I took them to Michaels to be custom framed and they quoted $480 for the large one and that includes a 40% off coupon. I then took them to Aaron Bros. and am getting them framed there (same frame); $130 for the large one. I will post photos when I get them back. Later today or tomorrow I will post a photo of the round one that I framed myself, and you won't believe what I used to frame it with . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's Flickr Mosaics

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

wow that's a huge difference in costs. I can never bring myself to pay for framing, if i can't figure something out I just leave it frameless

• silvamae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This will be the first time I have paid for custom framing a mosaic . . . I usually buy framed prints at Goodwill or garage sales and use them to frame my stuff. This was just too large and it's going to look good with all three framed alike. This is probably the only time I'll ever do this.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I put the photos of the round Space Mosaic on my blog today with a description of what I used to frame it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog - Round Space Mosaic framed

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

it looks great!!! love your solution

• silvamae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got the three "Out of This World" mosaics back from Aaron Brothers custom framing shop and I am so pleased with their work. I'm going to try posting a picture on here directly, and I hope it's not Gigantic like they have been in the past. Here goes. To see all three, click on the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog

• texaswild
    11 years ago

They look great, SILVA. You must have a huuuuuuuuuuge house to have a place for these side-by-side.

I bought a painting in PV - the artist, who's workshop followed ours - gave me a 4-hr. demo on his technique, and I felt it was mine, so bought it. He's shipping it Thursday. I have to take down several pieces in my l.r. to make space for it - huuuuuge.

I posted what I've been doing after returning from PV on the conversation side. Seems noone goes to that side often.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't go to Conversation often, but I did check it yesterday and I saw your post -- I commented on your Photobucket. Cool stuff - inspirational. Everything you do gives me an idea . . .

• texaswild
    11 years ago

I saw your comment and responded. I NEVER see/comment on Photobucket. Don't know why I don't get notices from them like we do on Flickr.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I want to work only on large things; guess I need to go into Outdoor Mode. I'm planning a mosaic stepping stones/natural stones combination walkway in the backyard next.

• texaswild
    11 years ago

WOW - that is big ideas for a big project - makes my back hurt just thinking of it. Way to go, SILVA. Can't wait for WIP pics on that one.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Go to the Conversation side to see the project I just finished.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got sidetracked from my next project - stepping stones for the backyard - and I'm working on a "female Mongol warrior mosaic." It's a torso; so far I have a deer antler, a woven metal gold-tone belt from Greece for a bandolier, and a broken Japanese teapot for her breast plates and a broken bowl for epaulettes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's latest WIP

• nanatricia
    10 years ago

That is going to be cool!! I have one like that I need to do but it has not spoke to me yet.

• texaswild
    10 years ago

REALLY gonna be a unique torso. Why doncha put it in it's own thread on this side, girlie? The website is slow to come up. Very interesting tess.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ready to grout -- thinking pale brown for top half and black for bottom half -- what do y'all think?

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

No advice from me since I am grout challenged but I can't wait to see her all grouted up! Hope someone else chimes in with advice!

• texaswild
    10 years ago

Why not brown for the whole thing to save yourself some trouble. Brown is a very nice grout color, and since you have so much brown in the piece, it could be great..

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, slowmedown! That's exactly what I'll do. Why deal with the black? I am now looking forward to grouting it -- probably tomorrow since I'll be in town most of the day today.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Done!

• texaswild
    10 years ago

SILVA: You l'il heiffer. You may have just inspired me to get back into mosaicing. Congratulations on the completion of this nice project. This is just darlin', and so unique. I like the shoulders tess and the, oh rats, can't remember what you call the strap across her breast. Great job, girlie.

I have several torsos, and I need to DO SOMETHING w/them. I've been trying my hand at paper crafting, and have become very frustrated. Have spend hundreds of $s on art supplies, and still, I sit and stare and produce NOTHING. Think I need to grab a torso and plant the first tile on it. THEN, perhaps, I can find my way around this wall. Thank you for the inspiration.

Just got home from a John Conlee concert, and I'm wired - fabulous entertainer. Hope I can settle down and get some sleep tonight so I can get myself up fresh and get to the garage tomorrow morning to fetch a torso and get back to work. This block has gone on far too long.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hear you! That's what I always have to do; glue a tile on something and go from there. This torso was a challenge. It is that heavy-duty white slick plastic that is so tough you can hardly put a hole through it. The ammunition belt thingie and the antler are anchored on with nails and screws, and I used several bits of Apoxie Sculpt to hold the antler in place. Then the base is covered with a thin piece of plywood that we cut to fit and stained. So she's got a lot of behind-the-scenes work on her.

Like you, I sometimes veer off onto paper and I start out with these ambitions to do something cool but I never get far with it and always come back to mosaics.

I'm ready to do a full-size mannikin now!

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

WOW Silva, she looks amazing!!!! I'll bet you are quite pleased with the way she came out and now you are ready to get busy making stuff for your open house!

A torso by you Slow? Do it please! I know you will come up with something exciting!!!!!

• texaswild
    10 years ago

Nice job, SILVA.

CRAFTY: I managed to pull one out and get it washed and ready. Also nipped up some red tiles - still have four plates and four cups to nip. As I sat there nipping away, I was trying to get an idea of how to begin. I also cut out, sanded, sealed and put hangers on four wooden hearts for a one-day workshop w/two ladies I met in PV who w/be here during CALAMITY's upcoming visit. W/continue nipping red tiles today while I THINK THINK THINK on a design.

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

I have a feeling that as soon as you start gluing stuff down, the design will begin to flow beneath your creative hands!

• mfbpa
    10 years ago

Hi All....
    I'm a spring to fall mosaic'er as I work outside in a mosaic hut that my hub made me last year. I stumbled across some of Slo's work on Pinterest and have been hooked on her stuff since. Thank goodness you post photo's on Photobucket Slo, I love seeing the beautiful things you make! I thought I'd jump in and say hi and say that I just started my first project for this year. I'm covering an old mailbox to use for my garden tools.
    Also while cleaning up the yard I was OVERCOME with a thought to mosaic the wall in the front yard. I'll take a pic tomorrow (it's pouring rain here today) to show you my blank canvas. I can't get the wall out of my mind! I'm sketching and trying to decide how to proceed with the theme etc.... I'm going to use the push and squish method so no grouting.
    I hope to use all sorts of tessera for this project. Gosh knows I've been collecting junk for a LONG time and have some cool stuff. The house is very old, from the 1800's and I'd like to incorporate something historic too.
    mfbpa in PA

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

Wow that sounds like a cool project to do! You should start a new thread for it though so we can follow your progress from start to finish. Can't wait to see your mailbox too! How nice to have tour own place to go to and create!

• mfbpa
    10 years ago

Here's an end view of my mailbox. I will call her Millie as I have to have a name for everything! LOL I'm also going to do as you suggested and start a new thread for my wall. I did load some pics on Photobucket too.

• texaswild
    10 years ago

Soooooooo glad you're back. Have wondered what you've been doing. Thanks for the compliments. LOVE your mailbox, and the wall idea is a knockout. Your home is so beautiful, and I know you'll do a fabulous job on the wall.

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

Millie is very cute!

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Latest garden stone

• Calamity_J
    10 years ago

Great projects ladies!!!

• texaswild
    10 years ago

Very nice, SILVA. Have y'all seen Chris Emmert's stones on Flickr today? Her work is awesome. She must use miles and miles of ball chain. That stuff is sooooooo expensive. I've only bought one spool, and haven't used it yet. Gave a yard to DD in Dallas, and she LOVES it. She used it on a wooden mini-album she made.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I need to get some. That will be the next thing on my list to order. Black ball chain (large) would be great for butterfly bodies, and smaller size to outline wings. I have seen her stuff and it is beautiful.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More garden stones . . .

• texaswild
    10 years ago

Sweet. I envy you w/all those stones available.

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

Love these garden stones and I think you should have no problem selling them at the open house!

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, y'all. I love making them.

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Virginia's Top Choice for Reliable General Contractors