Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are you working on?

Posted by silvamae (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 23:46

This board has been my home away from home for many years and I am sad to see it so slow ..... so, what are you working on?

I have done a large, round wall hanging, a space motif, (again) ! but it has yet to be grouted. I am procrastinating because I dislike using black grout - it's so messy - yet I love the look of it, so that's what I will be using. I have also made a charming little Italian birdhouse that is at the grouting stage also.

But I am side-tracked because I am making a brooch bridal bouquet for a friend and that's what I've been working on tonight. It's going to be gorgeous! If you haven't heard of them yet, Google it or go to Etsy and search "brooch bridal bouquet." She requested jewel tones and gold metal tones so that's what we're working with. It is so much fun.

School will start back up soon and I will have more free time to dedicate to mosaic work.

So tell me, what are you working on?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are you working on?

Your projects sound awesome! I'd love to see pictures!

I've been going crazy making concrete flowers and mushrooms. I'm trying to make enough where I can start an Etsy store. Problem is, I don't want to sell any of them, LOL! So I make more hoping when I get enough, I'll have a dozen I'm willing to part with.

IMG_6023

IMG_6015

IMG_3608

IMG_3499

IMG_5964a

IMG_5964

IMG_5961

IMG_5956

IMG_5953

o

Wow, looks like you're well on your way to selling on Etsy! I know what you mean; most of the stuff I do, I either want to keep it myself, or my husband or daughter wants it. Hard to separate ourself from our art; it's like a part of us.

o

Yes, I've started an Etsy store to sell some of these, but haven't opened it yet. I think I need a good 8-10 items (per a recommendation from a friend), and then I need to really look them over and ask myself if I want to part with them all. LOL You're right that it's hard to separate ourselves from things we've made. I wasn't expecting that when I first came up with the bright idea to make some money off my craft.

Incidentally, those brooch bouquets you're referring to look adorable. And what I like about them is they could be saved for future generations. Would love to see some pics when you get it done!

o

Loribee I love your flowers! My life is robbing me of mosaic time.

o

I know it is kinda sad here but I have had GB all summer.I have been making flowers out of beer cans.We are on water ration and I have pull a lot of my flowers out of pots so I have made Fl .I hate artificial flowers but the are cute.I am getting tired of them and ready to make something .I have done some stepping stones need to mosaic one.

o

Thanks, Wacky! Nana, those beer can flowers are adorable!

o

Lori I love the mushrooms and flowers. Nana, the flowers are so cute, so fringy! Wacky, tell Life to move over a little; you need to make time for Mosaics! I will post pictures soon; I'm getting together with the bride-to-be and her mom on Saturday and the brooch bridal bouquet will be finished next week! Woo-hoo, I am ready to dive back in and spread some black grout around.

o

I've been working on and off on my Harley mosaic. The recent heat just zapped my energy . Even though I have A/C - it's just depressing being stuck in the house all day . "Cabin Fever" in summer !

o

I'm in the same boat, toomuch. The heat just saps my energy plus I don't enjoy feeling trapped inside. Besides that, I like to do certain mosiac activities outside. I nip outside and grout outside without worrying about the shards on the floor or the grout mess. When I have to do it inside it's so much trouble. Looking forward to Fall!

o

We've been in the same boat here in California. Even with a fan in my workshop and a shady area outside, when it gets over 100 I just can't do my projects. But this weekend's forecast is a beautiful mid 80's. Can't wait!!

TooMuch: Looking forward to seeing some pics of your project!

o

Lori, I met with the bride today and she got tears in her eyes looking at the brooch bridal bouquet -- and it isn't even done! It was so rewarding. She and her mom both are so pleased and said it looked better than any they've seen on the internet. Whew, I am so relieved. They brought me about 15 more brooches to be included so I will be done with it soon. I will post pictures! And I will probably write a how-to article. It was so much fun!

o

Oh, Silvamae, that's awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing it. How rewarding to know you've created what will surely be an heirloom for someone.

o

Those flowers are the cutest!

o

Go here to see the finished bridal bouquet. Yay, I'm done!

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog

o

Silvamae, that turned out beautifully! Wow, one could sit and look at it forever (well, someone like me who loves shiny pretty things, heh). That is one very lucky bride!

o

Thanks, Loribee! It was fun to do. It's made of jewelry that has meaning for them; brooches from grandmothers and aunts and donations from friends. It was quite a new experience for me and I'm ready to make another one. It's addictive!

o

Wow, what an heirloom. I'm jealous they had so many beautiful things to choose from!

o

This is my first picture post -it is a pebble stepping stone. Had a hard time getting the black grout off the white stones.

o

I love the stepping stone.

o

Thanks so much! I've had such a time with learning everything, it gives me a headache. All I really wanted to do was make some pebble stepping stones, but one thing led to another, and here is my WIP...I've been working on it since July.

o

LOL it always starts with "just a couple stepping stones". Welcome to the addiction. Your stone is absolutely gorgeous. What is your plan for the bird?

o

Love the pebble stone and the bird.

o

Thank you so much! I knew you'd get a kick out of starting with stepping stones, loribee. It's true though - you start looking into other materials and methods, and mysteriously a stash of glass, broken pottery, bags of grout and thinset, hoards of possible substrates, and much much more start taking over your home.

The plan for the raven is based on a Native American story. Raven steals the sun, water, and moon from Eagle.

This is supposed to represent raven hanging the moon. I will finish up with a sunset and water, and of course a moon. My cutting of glass into square shapes leaves something to be desired, but at least I'm consistent with my irregularities.

I do my work at a Seattle mosaic shop, and they are going to help me with the double indirect method in a wood frame.

It helps to have knowledgeable people around to bounce ideas off. I have noticed a certain glazing over in the eyes of people who aren't into mosaic when I talk about it.

Silva, I've read your blog and am so impressed with your work. Susan

o

Wow! So many wonderful projects!
I adore those little concreteflowers, and the space mosaic and everything.
I am tediously putting the background on my plant stand that I started months ago. I foolishly decided that it would be good practice to have the back ground be rows of uncut square glass tiles (except cut around the flowers and moth etc.) Whatapaininmyyouknowwhere! Its been a torture experience! I am very slowly making progress, but I don't like to work on it too much. I have a little project planned as a reward, but maybe i need to do the reward now! and have another reward when I'm done.
Kathy

o

Pictures, Kathy, pictures! What reward do you have planned? I have been working on a metal watering can and that has been torture also! because the pieces slide out of position; and I just don't want to be bothered to sit there and hold each one in place til the glue sets up. I have decided in the future to always have two mosaic projects going at the same time. That way I can leave one alone while the glue hardens and work on the other one. And I am going to try using GE Silicone II on metal - no more MAC glue on metal! All I have to do on the watering can is the spout - and that will be a pain for sure!

o

Silvamae, I think the idea of having two projects going at a time is a good one! I'm (very stupidly!) working on a strange project right now that involves mosaicing the inside of a round fish bowl. I'm crazy I tell ya! I've had all kind of sliding glass issues. I'm finding patience I didn't know I possess. Mosaic on!
Becky

o

Haha, I'm often in a situation like that. Carry on -- you can do it!

o

Please check out my blog - - I just finished a second bridal bouquet today. I love doing these!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog - latest bridal bouquet

o

Okay, y'all, I got brave and listed this bouquet on Etsy (seller mosaicroad). I need money to be able to buy more vintage brooches, I'm on a tangent, I love making these! Not giving up mosaics, just branching out. If anyone has old flower-type brooches they want to trade me, I have tons of stained glass, glass tile, and nipped plates!

o

Forgot to add, in addition to having tons of stained glass, glass tile, and nipped plates, I have a bazillion flat-backed marbles (glass gems, glass globs).

o

Silvamae your brooch bouquets are so pretty.I have also seen them done in crystals or large crystals added as filler. I did a couple French Beaded flower bouquets. If you can pick up that skill the little flowers are also a nice fill. I think I used up all my jewlery doing a lighted Christmas tree in picture frames project years ago. Always love branching out from mosaics once in awhile. I think it keeps the creativity going.

My project right now is finally finishing the top of the master bath mirror surround I started a couple of years ago. I stalled out because I just did not know where to go with it. And then a vision hit and all is good and I imagine I will have this done some time this winter.

My husband turned the light fixture over since I took the picture and it all looks so much better. I am already working on the next section but my job got in the way.

Also working on a mannequin. At this point I only have her taped in the silver foil tape. Plan on doing her bustier in grape clusters leaves and vines. If I can. This is an experiment.

o

Wow, that is amazing! and thanks for the suggestion about the crystal fillers. That would really add to it. Can't wait to see pics of your mirror surround finished.

o

There's so much talent here !!! It's overwhelming !!
I finished and shipped the Harley Mosaic , now I started on another ........... horse ! I have a collection going LOL I can't get enough of them :)

o

I just remembered that we can now upload pictures directly from our computer, so here's a picture of my latest.

o

silvamae, This is a picture of the French Beaded flowers. A very simple one for hair comb. The added top loops would also be nice incorporated into your bouquets. I know it is the broaches that make the look. But some times added options can lower your costs and over all costs to customers and add to the uniqueness. I have lots of patterns for the FB flowers if you want to try them but beware they are as addicting as mosaics.

Really hoping to get to play with glass today. Finally a day with out having to work and trips to town. I think. I have not asked yet.

o

That's beautiful. I appreciate the suggestion and I plan to incorporate it into the next one. Crystals would add so much to the look and as you say, help keep the cost down.

o

All are so beautiful I do a lot of branching out but still love mosaics the best. Sivamae are you using old earrings also.

o

I am starting a second project while continuing to work on the mirror surround in the master bath. I am starting a mannequin torso. I nipped and tumbled some glass this afternoon.Trying to reduce sharp edges on curved substrait.

My goal is to cover her in grape vines and grape clusters. No idea why I want to do her this way other then she will blend in with our kitchen back splash. Since she will be sitting in the dinning room we do not eat in I felt she should blend in.

There is nothing to take a picture of yet. I have her taped in silver tape and some lines drawn in as guides in dry erase marker.

Scrolling back. I forgot to mention how much I liked the pebble stepping stone.

o

Wow, the brooches and mirror surround are amazing.

What a lovely idea to have your bridal bouquet as a keep sake.

And I would love to be able to look at that lovely surround every day. Susan

o

Hi, Nanatricia! Thanks for stopping by. Yes, I use earrings also; whatever pieces of jewelry that can be made to work, I use. Shades, I can't wait to see pictures of your mannequin. I've always wanted to do one; maybe I will someday. drtdgr, thanks for your comments. I think the bridal bouquets are brilliant; if I was a bride, I would want one for sure. I am on the trail looking for more jewelry since I've used my stash up; I'm ready to make a third one.

o

Just finished gluing this today, stained glass on Plexiglass. Ready to grout.

o

Sorry for the enormous size. (?) Trying another one.

o

Silvamae, that is beautiful (I can see it well if I click on the picture). What is your plan to do with it? Love the glass gems in with the stained glass. Makes such a nice texture.

o

Thanks, Loribee2. It's a wall hanging.

o

Slivamae that is really pretty.

Today is my day to play with glass so getting to it. Might have WIP pictures later if I can get enough done today.

o

I love your thin grout lines - everything fits so perfect ! You must cut out each piece as you go . I'm going to try that soon , all I've been doing is snipping random pieces and fitting them the best I can. The grout lines are really irregular. Next project is a crow.( I love crows !)

PS --
I'm doing a mannequin torso ,too ! I got so far on it last year and had to put off finishing it. It's really hard now -- it won't stand up because I have more glass on the front ;it falls forward. I need a big place to work on it , I'll have to lay her down and prop her up where I need her .

o

Toomuchglass, I have Eve laying on the kitchen counter. I have started working on her back and have her propped with pillows. Never even considered getting her off balance with the glass weight all on one side. Will certainly keep that in mind. Thanks for that tip.

o

Looking at all these lovely projects is inspirational. I've been learning to cut glass from a tutorial this weekend, i.e., key stoning, going around curves, and cutting straight lines instead of curved ones.

It has been tedious. I still have several exercises to go through. It's been a three band-aid weekend.

I just repeat to myself - it's going to worth it, art is hard.

o

drtdgr, The thing about cutting glass and mosaics is relax. If you make a mistake just put it aside and cut it up for smaller pieces later. LOL My theory.

I am really not very good at cutting glass. I do have a triangle shape ruler edge with a small lip at the bottom that hooks on the flat edge of glass to help with cutting straight pieces.

o

Oh, I appreciate the encouragement. I know intellectually that that the glass shapes aren't meant to be perfect, but it still drives me crazy. I want a glass grinder so bad, but it's just not in the budget.

There's something I haven't grasped yet, to look at projects with a new viewpoint, to remember that glass as a medium isn't like a drawing.

It's how the eye reads the whole... anyway, I'll try to relax and make something beautiful.

o

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you , they carry grinders . With a 40% off couppon , the price is really reasonable.
( Compared to what you'd pay at a glass store )

I have to agree - you have to change your perception on what you're making. It used to just kill me because I couldn't get glass pieces as intricate as my drawings were.
Then the light bulb went on --- when you look at your piece with all those "clunky" pieces of glass .... your brain just sort of fills in all the details and it makes sense ! I think that's the beauty of glass , it just "suggests" something and we see the whole thing and it just all fits together !

o

Grouting marathon this morning! I grouted a watering can, large flower pot, dragonfly panel, two picture frames, and the roof of a bird house. Whew! Picture on my blog. After the huge gi-normous pictures I somehow managed to insert here a few posts up, I hesitate to try it again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog - Grouting Marathon

o

Toomuch, we posted at exactly the same moment!

o

drtdgr, I have a story for you. The moral is, keep your eyes and ears open and unexpected good things may happen in the world of mosaics.

Here's the story. Last year my husband and I drove into Westlake Hills on the outskirts of Austin to a hardware company called Breed and Company. They carry a kitchen sharpener, a carborundum stone with a wooden handle, that I use to smooth the sharp edges of tess. So I couldn't find them right off and I asked an employee and he was trying to envision what it was and where they might be. He said "What do you use it for?" and I replied, "Mosaics." A young woman who also worked there walked by and touched my arm and said, "When you're through shopping, come and find me; I would like to talk to you."

Well, I couldn't imagine what she wanted, but after I made my purchase, I went and found her. She was getting out of mosaics and into metal working and she wanted to know if she could GIVE me some glass and tools because she was running out of room. Well, we made arrangements to go to her house on her next day off. Then she said, I hope you have a pickup or a large car. I said I had a van.

I could not believe what she gave me. A ton of beautiful stained glass, all kinds of tools, storage units, Diamondcrete, grout, I couldn't begin to name it all, and ... a brand new Glastar grinder, never used, still in box with manual. I was stunned. She would not let me pay her one penny. The van almost dragged the ground on the way home. I called my friend in town who also does mosaics and gave her a load of glass and I gave the storage unit away to someone who took a class from me, but I kept the grinder and lots of tools. So you never know . . .

I hope you get your grinder. I never thought I would ever get one.

o

drtdgr and there you go. I have an extra grinder just sitting here. You want to help pay shipping I will send it to you. It came with glass things from a stained glass artist I bought out last year. It is well used but seems to run fine.Nothing fancy about it.It is taking up valuable space in my little studio room. The bits for them are some thing like 10 dollars a piece if you get them on a two for. And right now I forget where you get them for that. LOL

o

Oh my goodness that is a wonderful story Silva. And thanks so much for the offer Shades! I would be more than happy to pay for postage. I live in Tacoma, so that isn't too far.

My email is susanlong@harbornet.com if you want to discuss the details that way.

Yay!

o

Silvamae,

Finally got a chance to go look at your grouting project. That really is a lot to grout in one sitting. I do the same here creating a grout-a-thon. Doing it outside really would be good. I will give that a try on good weather days. I always have a fear I will get too much grout spread and not be able to get it off in time. So far that has not happened so I am not sure why I have this fear going on.

Your pieces look great. Love the long dragon fly panel.

o

I totally identify with the fear of too much grout spread and not enough time. What I have to do is break it up into sections. I grouted the panel, the two small frames, and the handle of the watering can in one session. Then I cleaned up and threw away the grout dish, disposable gloves, etc. Washed out the sponges and completely cleaned and polished the pieces. Then I started all over, mixed new grout, and grouted the rest of the watering can and the bird house roof. The only time I ever had a huge problem was one night when I was grouting a bunch of stuff and I forgot about a bird house until the next day. I was so upset because no matter what I used, I could not get that bird house clean. Grouting outside is definitely the thing to do. Unfortunately here in Texas we get about 3 days a year of good outside grouting weather.

o

I have gotten away from sponges when cleaning grout. I am a bit wasteful in using paper towels for the first wipe off or two or three then I move onto dry rags, cut op towels work best for me for polishing. For me the sponges just kept smearing the haze around. The dry method cleans up so much faster. I do put a coffee can in the sink to rinse gloved fingers off in.

When I grouted the kitchen back splash. I did several sections (9- 8 by 13 inch pieces at once and I was so freaked) flat on the counter. Then installed them and did the seams. Kind of seemed like a double grout job but once a piece is grouted and cleaned it cleans up fast the second time if extra grout gets on it again. I am working the master bath wall that way too. Need to get back to that but Eve jumped in front of me and demanded to get some glass on her. LOL

Back to work here people coming over house is trashed. Eve is still on my kitchen counter.LOL

o

I've been working double-time this past week; another lady and myself are having an open house Friday to hopefully sell a few things. It's at her house in north Austin, about 35 miles away. So I am gathering up some items and forcing myself to price everything before I pack it up --- ugh, pricing is the hardest part. It's hard to have a formula for mosaic work; you may pay 99 cents for the material and put 40 hours of work in it . . . so formulas such as material times 3 or whatever don't work. Oh well, wish me luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog - Open House flyer

o

Good luck on the open house! Yes, pricing is hard. I find I want more for something immediately after I've finished it. Then after it's been sitting in my yard for a couple months, I don't mind selling it cheaper, LOL

o

This morning I took most of my items over to the lady's house for the Open House on Friday. So far I have 24 items displayed, and will probably have about 10 more to take Friday morning. They range from vases and pictures frames to bird houses and my large round space mosaic. Wish me luck! I will report back as to how I did.

o

There's some wonderful works on this thread. It'll take me awhile to catch up here. Been bad.

o

We did well with the Open House so we are doing another one, this time on a Saturday instead of Friday. I sold the dragonfly panel and since then I've made another one which I will post a picture of after it's grouted. I have started another Plexiglass panel, this time of triggerfish. It's all blues and greens and I made sure each piece was translucent. There is some white pattern on the lower half of the fish and the white that I'm using just looks white but when the light shines through it, there's an orange glow. I'm excited about this.

o

Ooooooo - congratulations on your opportunities and sales. You're on a roll for sure.

o

Yes, it's getting busy because of Christmas. This lady just called and ordered three more picture frames similar to one I had at the Open House. But I want to work on my fishies --

o

I just posted a picture of some work-in-progress: two square mirrors, called Hip to be Square. They are so challenging -- fitting all different sizes of squares, tiles, earrings, etc. together on a curved slick wooden frame. I'm loving them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's latest WIP

o

Silva, that is going to be sweet. Will you grout it?

o

VERY nice looking frame w/interesting tess.

o

Thank you, Lori and Slow. Yes, I will grout it, probably with black grout. If you go back and look again, I added another picture; just finished gluing the first one, almost done with the second one.

o

I LOVE it. Tricky business to make all those different sized squares come out right. It's a GORGEOUS frame that should please ANYONE. Good luck on your Christmas sales. You must have a good market down there. I sooooo miss the Austin area.

o

Looking good!!! Just LOVE the dragon fly one too!!!

o

Finished the two mirrors today - changed my mind on the grout and used a sand color. I am happy with them - it's HIP to be SQUARE!

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's latest (two mirrors)

o

ooh those are really great, I like the sand grout too and I wouldn't have guessed that but it works on these

o

Beautiful mosaicing - lovely mirrors. The grout is PERFECT. I bought some yesterday for the little house I'm making. First time I won't be using charcoal or black for years.

o

Just finished this, a 3-part wall hanging. Checking to see if my Flickr link works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's Flickr Mosaics

o

What a nice hanging - so beautifully made. Doncha just love Dichroic glass. That stuff is out of sight expensive.

o

I know. I love it but I have to use it sparingly.

o

I did a weird looking piece of bark on a Wedi board and called it "Asteroid" and I love it but my husband thinks it's peculiar. I was asking his opinion of pricing before I took my stuff to the Open House yesterday and when I held up "Asteroid" he wrinkled his nose and said "I don't know -- $39?" I counted the dichroic cabs I had in the background and said "I've got $48 in these alone!"

I enjoyed the Open House tremendously, the lady whose house it was is the nicest person and so are all her friends and neighbors.

Only the small stuff sold; the highest pieces that sold were for $40.00.

To see something else I recently made (not mosaic) go to Conversations.

o

Click link to see my Transportation birdhouse . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: Transportation birdhouse

o

It's darlin', SILVA. Love all the tess you put in it.

o

Yes it is so cute!!

o

Remember the "Out of this world" space mosaics I did last year? I took them to Michaels to be custom framed and they quoted $480 for the large one and that includes a 40% off coupon. I then took them to Aaron Bros. and am getting them framed there (same frame); $130 for the large one. I will post photos when I get them back. Later today or tomorrow I will post a photo of the round one that I framed myself, and you won't believe what I used to frame it with . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's Flickr Mosaics

o

wow that's a huge difference in costs. I can never bring myself to pay for framing, if i can't figure something out I just leave it frameless

o

This will be the first time I have paid for custom framing a mosaic . . . I usually buy framed prints at Goodwill or garage sales and use them to frame my stuff. This was just too large and it's going to look good with all three framed alike. This is probably the only time I'll ever do this.

o

I put the photos of the round Space Mosaic on my blog today with a description of what I used to frame it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog - Round Space Mosaic framed

o

it looks great!!! love your solution

o

I got the three "Out of This World" mosaics back from Aaron Brothers custom framing shop and I am so pleased with their work. I'm going to try posting a picture on here directly, and I hope it's not Gigantic like they have been in the past. Here goes. To see all three, click on the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog

o

They look great, SILVA. You must have a huuuuuuuuuuge house to have a place for these side-by-side.

I bought a painting in PV - the artist, who's workshop followed ours - gave me a 4-hr. demo on his technique, and I felt it was mine, so bought it. He's shipping it Thursday. I have to take down several pieces in my l.r. to make space for it - huuuuuge.

I posted what I've been doing after returning from PV on the conversation side. Seems noone goes to that side often.

o

I don't go to Conversation often, but I did check it yesterday and I saw your post -- I commented on your Photobucket. Cool stuff - inspirational. Everything you do gives me an idea . . .

o

I saw your comment and responded. I NEVER see/comment on Photobucket. Don't know why I don't get notices from them like we do on Flickr.

o

I want to work only on large things; guess I need to go into Outdoor Mode. I'm planning a mosaic stepping stones/natural stones combination walkway in the backyard next.

o

WOW - that is big ideas for a big project - makes my back hurt just thinking of it. Way to go, SILVA. Can't wait for WIP pics on that one.

o

Go to the Conversation side to see the project I just finished.

o

I got sidetracked from my next project - stepping stones for the backyard - and I'm working on a "female Mongol warrior mosaic." It's a torso; so far I have a deer antler, a woven metal gold-tone belt from Greece for a bandolier, and a broken Japanese teapot for her breast plates and a broken bowl for epaulettes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's latest WIP

o

That is going to be cool!! I have one like that I need to do but it has not spoke to me yet.

o

REALLY gonna be a unique torso. Why doncha put it in it's own thread on this side, girlie? The website is slow to come up. Very interesting tess.

o

Ready to grout -- thinking pale brown for top half and black for bottom half -- what do y'all think?

o

No advice from me since I am grout challenged but I can't wait to see her all grouted up! Hope someone else chimes in with advice!

o

Why not brown for the whole thing to save yourself some trouble. Brown is a very nice grout color, and since you have so much brown in the piece, it could be great..

o

Thank you, slowmedown! That's exactly what I'll do. Why deal with the black? I am now looking forward to grouting it -- probably tomorrow since I'll be in town most of the day today.

o

Done!

o

SILVA: You l'il heiffer. You may have just inspired me to get back into mosaicing. Congratulations on the completion of this nice project. This is just darlin', and so unique. I like the shoulders tess and the, oh rats, can't remember what you call the strap across her breast. Great job, girlie.

I have several torsos, and I need to DO SOMETHING w/them. I've been trying my hand at paper crafting, and have become very frustrated. Have spend hundreds of $s on art supplies, and still, I sit and stare and produce NOTHING. Think I need to grab a torso and plant the first tile on it. THEN, perhaps, I can find my way around this wall. Thank you for the inspiration.

Just got home from a John Conlee concert, and I'm wired - fabulous entertainer. Hope I can settle down and get some sleep tonight so I can get myself up fresh and get to the garage tomorrow morning to fetch a torso and get back to work. This block has gone on far too long.

o

I hear you! That's what I always have to do; glue a tile on something and go from there. This torso was a challenge. It is that heavy-duty white slick plastic that is so tough you can hardly put a hole through it. The ammunition belt thingie and the antler are anchored on with nails and screws, and I used several bits of Apoxie Sculpt to hold the antler in place. Then the base is covered with a thin piece of plywood that we cut to fit and stained. So she's got a lot of behind-the-scenes work on her.

Like you, I sometimes veer off onto paper and I start out with these ambitions to do something cool but I never get far with it and always come back to mosaics.

I'm ready to do a full-size mannikin now!

o

WOW Silva, she looks amazing!!!! I'll bet you are quite pleased with the way she came out and now you are ready to get busy making stuff for your open house!

A torso by you Slow? Do it please! I know you will come up with something exciting!!!!!

o

Nice job, SILVA.

CRAFTY: I managed to pull one out and get it washed and ready. Also nipped up some red tiles - still have four plates and four cups to nip. As I sat there nipping away, I was trying to get an idea of how to begin. I also cut out, sanded, sealed and put hangers on four wooden hearts for a one-day workshop w/two ladies I met in PV who w/be here during CALAMITY's upcoming visit. W/continue nipping red tiles today while I THINK THINK THINK on a design.

o

I have a feeling that as soon as you start gluing stuff down, the design will begin to flow beneath your creative hands!

o

Hi All....
I'm a spring to fall mosaic'er as I work outside in a mosaic hut that my hub made me last year. I stumbled across some of Slo's work on Pinterest and have been hooked on her stuff since. Thank goodness you post photo's on Photobucket Slo, I love seeing the beautiful things you make! I thought I'd jump in and say hi and say that I just started my first project for this year. I'm covering an old mailbox to use for my garden tools.
Also while cleaning up the yard I was OVERCOME with a thought to mosaic the wall in the front yard. I'll take a pic tomorrow (it's pouring rain here today) to show you my blank canvas. I can't get the wall out of my mind! I'm sketching and trying to decide how to proceed with the theme etc.... I'm going to use the push and squish method so no grouting.
I hope to use all sorts of tessera for this project. Gosh knows I've been collecting junk for a LONG time and have some cool stuff. The house is very old, from the 1800's and I'd like to incorporate something historic too.
mfbpa in PA

o

Wow that sounds like a cool project to do! You should start a new thread for it though so we can follow your progress from start to finish. Can't wait to see your mailbox too! How nice to have tour own place to go to and create!

o

Here's an end view of my mailbox. I will call her Millie as I have to have a name for everything! LOL I'm also going to do as you suggested and start a new thread for my wall. I did load some pics on Photobucket too.

o

Soooooooo glad you're back. Have wondered what you've been doing. Thanks for the compliments. LOVE your mailbox, and the wall idea is a knockout. Your home is so beautiful, and I know you'll do a fabulous job on the wall.

o

Millie is very cute!

o

Latest garden stone

o

Great projects ladies!!!

o

Very nice, SILVA. Have y'all seen Chris Emmert's stones on Flickr today? Her work is awesome. She must use miles and miles of ball chain. That stuff is sooooooo expensive. I've only bought one spool, and haven't used it yet. Gave a yard to DD in Dallas, and she LOVES it. She used it on a wooden mini-album she made.

o

I need to get some. That will be the next thing on my list to order. Black ball chain (large) would be great for butterfly bodies, and smaller size to outline wings. I have seen her stuff and it is beautiful.

o

More garden stones . . .

o

Sweet. I envy you w/all those stones available.

o

Love these garden stones and I think you should have no problem selling them at the open house!

o

Thanks, y'all. I love making them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here