Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

My First Mosaic Project - Bird Bath

So, had my first part of my class, today. I got all my glass down on my terra cotta saucer. Tomorrow is grouting day! I'll put this on a nice metal stand in my garden. Hope the birdies like it. Then, on the my fire pit cover.

Patty S.

This post was edited by hoosierquilt on Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 23:33

Comments (26)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, and while I'm at it, what glass cutter do you all use and prefer? I need to get a nice carbide glass cutter. The only tool I don't have, yet.

Patty S.

• loribee2
    9 years ago

Oh that's going to be really pretty. Love the little frog in the center. Great work!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, loribee :-) I hope it will do okay outside with water in it. We'll see. And, I did find out where to buy glass and mosaic supplies in my area. Not very close, unfortunately. Have to make an hour drive to get to the only two placed in San Diego county. But, at least I've got a local source, now. Will post up a photo of the bird bath all grouted and sealed in a couple of days.

Patty S.

• toomuchglass
    9 years ago

I can't wait to see it finished ..... it's looking awesome already !

Original Author
    9 years ago

My wonderful, support, but non-artistic husband's first comment: "Looks like the frog is pooping a big trail of marbles." Oh, brother. And this is the guy that wants me to make the mosaic fire pit cover. Harumph.

Patty S.

• wackyweeder
    9 years ago

LOL-He has no imagination. Looks great.
    I use a heavy brass pencil type cutter. But I know people who use pistol grips, etc. I also like the ol red 3 dollar cutter for certain things.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hah, wacky, that's for sure. He likes it, just a typical "guy comment", lol!! Thanks for your opinion on the glass cutter. And, here it the grouted bird bath. I am very pleased how it turned out for my very first mosaic attempt. I can tell you my first quilt was not a "keeper", it got circular filed. So, pretty tickled that this came out nice enough to actually put out in my yard. All my daughters want one, now, and my oldest daughter wants to learn how to mosaic, now! I still have to sand off the grout on the top lip of the saucer, seal the grout, and then seal the bottom side of the terra cotta. Then it will go out into the garden. I'm so excited. Can't wait for the next project!

Patty S.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I love it. I would love to hear how you made or attached the glass.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, Kippy, not the way I wanted to. She insisted on using Elmer's Glue and non-sanded grout. Couldn't anything about the glue, but I could do something about the grout, so I placed my glass pieces very glose together. So, hoping the tiles don't eventually pop off. TIme will tell, and if they do, I'll just stick them back dwon with GE Silicone, and re-grout those spotts.

Patty S.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Thanks Patty, odd to use Elmers Glue! I would have thought some type of mastic.

I have some projects rolling around in my head and something similar is one of them

Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I guess it's all in how you learn things. I would have preferred to use silicone adhesive, to make it really waterproof, so time will tell. And, sanded grout, too. But, I was the student and she the teacher. She was very, very nice, and very gracious. So, I was very glad to have the class. She held it just for me, no one else signed up, so I felt I really couldn't say anything.

Patty S.

• loribee2
    9 years ago

That turned out beautifully! Love it with the black grout. And LOL on the frog pooping.

• barbfrizzell1955
    9 years ago

You did a great job on your first mosaic! Love the frog in the center!!!

• wackyweeder
    9 years ago

I love it grouted! and unsanded grout? ugh. It should hold up though- the unsanded tends to slump and crack if spaces are too big. If its not now, it should be fine.
    But it looks great!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, crafty lady :-) And whacky, when she pulled out the bag, I groaned, too. But, fortunately, the grout bag was out before I put down the glass, so I made sure the glass pieces were very close together. And, I made sure the grout was well packed in every single crack and crevice. You have never seen a beginner work so hard and so fast, lol! That non-sanded grout dries really fast, and has a weird, sticky consistency. It was a real test. Believe me, I grouted the HECK out of this piece. I will be sealing it, and may try to find something I can actually paint on for a clear sealer, instead of Tile Labs spray on sealer. Thank you so much, it was so much fun, and I am just tickled that it came out as well as it did for my first mosaic attempt. I'm actually not embarrassed to put it out in my garden. Our home is going to be on a special holiday tour this year for our community, that raises funds for our local community clinic, so I think it's good enough to stay out even for the home tour!

Patty S.

• barbfrizzell1955
    9 years ago

Yes, it is definitely good enough to stay out for the home tour!

• silvamae
    9 years ago

You will enjoy this! Nice job. I would have been concerned about Elmer's glue and non-sanded grout also! But you have a good attitude about it - just stick it down with GE Silicone II and re-grout if it falls off! I gave a class once where the student insisted on using a hot glue gun instead of the glue I provided. I warned her against it but she was the type who felt she knew best and was in a hurry to do it all quickly. I heard from her later that the pieces popped off. The choices for outdoor mosaics are so important but live and learn . . .

• Mags438
    9 years ago

It turned out beautiful! The black/dark grout really makes all the colors pop!

I currently use a pistol grip glass cutter. I have nippers and other mosaic specific tools, but right now I have so many little scraps I don't need to cut them down to any further.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the kind words, Mags! I have a pistol grip cutter lined up, and trying to decide if I will need a glass grinder for my next project. I am going to try to use larger pieces of glass for my two koi fish that will be on the surface of the fire pit cover. I found something very similar on a round fire pit cover (mine is a semi-circle shape), and I liked how this gal used larger pieces of glass for the koi. So, not sure if I can get smooth curves with a glass cutter and nippers, or, if I would be better off using a grinder to smooth out the pieces. Still so many newbie questions, sigh, lol!! Going down to a couple of glass stores this weekend, to try to buy the glass for the project. I may just bring cash, and leave the credit cards at home. I suspect it may be a bit like a kid in a candy store scenario :-)

Patty S.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    9 years ago

Patty, fantastic first project!! I love how it turned out. You have done a wonderful job on it.

I really like the colors, the pattern and the little frog is quite the topper for the piece.

Well done. I'll look forward to seeing your next project.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it, too :-). Here's how it actually looks in the garden. My girls all want one, so more will be on the way, no doubt!

Patty S.

• nicethyme
    9 years ago

that looks so pretty outside, nice job

• barbfrizzell1955
    9 years ago

I agree that it looks so pretty and it makes a beautiful addition to your garden!

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    9 years ago

And I love what you have it sitting on!! The whole thing is really neat!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, murraysmom :-) I have a very neat nursery & garden center very near me, that goes down to Mexico to pick up metal garden art and pots on a regular basis, and always has some neat garden art to choose from. I wanted a low stand for the bath, so people walking by could see the pretty mosaic work easily. So, pretty pleased. Here is a different view of the stand, so you can see it a bit better:

Patty S.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    9 years ago

It's perfect for it, isn't it?

We have a guy around here that does iron garden art and I have a neat wheel barrow, but the shape wouldn't lend itself to doing this.

I'll have to look around and see if he has something else.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Sponsored