Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drtdgr

Ge II silicon

drtdgr
11 years ago

I bought a tube of GE II silicone for kitchen/bath/plumbing and tried to use it today. I thought it would work like glue. I snipped off the top and tried to squeeze it out.

Nothing. I snipped off more off the tip and really squeezed it. The bottom fell out. Do you need a caulk gun to work this thing? Thanks, Susan

Comments (8)

• barbfrizzell1955
    11 years ago

If they are the big tubes than yes, you do need a caulk gun. They do have smaller tubes of it though. You snip the top off of it and squeeze the tube only this time, it will come out! LOL

• drtdgr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you. This is a messy hobby for sure. I even got some in my hair. Don't ask me how. Susan

• silvamae
    11 years ago

If it's a little tube, it's sometimes hard to squeeze it out by hand, especially after it's about half full. I solved this problem by using a thing called a Tube Key. They sell them at cosmetic supply houses and probably other places as well. Because the GE Silicone II Clear is messy and hard to squeeze, I use it only for outdoor projects that are glass-on-glass transparent. If the tesserae are not transparent, then I use thin-set (mortar) for adhesive on outdoor projects. I use MAC glue for everything indoors. Oh, and a couple of days ago, I got all dressed up to take my granddaughter to her school roundup, and she looked up at me and said, Mimi, you have some purple paint in your hair.

• wackyweeder
    11 years ago

I love silicone. I use this brand-
    http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/cntct_silicone/overview/Loctite-Clear-Silicone-Waterproof-Sealant.htm

it doesnt seem as messy as GE2. I used the GE2 once and hated it, and it ruined the mirror I was working with. Ive never had a problem with the loctite. I squeeze it out into a syringe and use that to apply to small tess. Its a matter of practice handling the messiness. I have never tried Mac, but I have tried weldbond and dont like the runniness. Its all a matter of taste.

Here is a link that might be useful: loctite

• drtdgr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the information. I will try the Locite, because GE II is way too messy for me. I was experimenting with crash glass, and I'm glad it was a small project because the result was a sticky ugly clump of glass.

• wackyweeder
    11 years ago

I keep a paper towel handy and wipe the ends of my fingers frequently. I also use toothpicks aometimes to apply... for crash glass, working with tiny pieces I think I would do that. you can also put a blob on a plate and dip, but I dont use much as it sets up quickly which is actually my fave part. Its also easy to over apply, you dont need as much as you think you do. and small amounts remaining mosyly come off with the grouting process.

• silvamae
    11 years ago

I will try the Loctite, thanks! and Wacky, you will love MAC. It is strong and you don't have to use much to do the work.

• drtdgr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for the info! I still have problems (especially with crash glass) having the tess come off during grouting. I love the fact it will set up quickly.
    Susan

Sponsored