Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WIP: Outdoor shower

Posted by jenel (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 22, 10 at 22:25

I'm amazed by how much blank space there still is on this backer for an outdoor shower we're building, considering how much time I've already put into it. I'm proud of how it's progressing, though. I'm gluing with WeldBond. Does anyone have concerns about that? It's going to be an outdoor application, obviously. It doesn't freeze often in the Austin area, but it does sometimes. And it will obviously get wet on a regular basis.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WIP: Outdoor shower

i dont think weldbond is good with water,, and it is not good for outdoors,, you might have to redo this...

o

Oh I really hate to say this, but you may want to rethink using Welbond before you go any further. If it were me, I would use thinset as glue. I have also used GE Silicone II for Doors and Windows and it has held up. On this board, Slowmedown is the authority on outdoor installations. If you decide to re-do what you've done already, it may be possible to insert the edge of a knife under your tesserae, pop it up, butter it with your choice of adhesive, and replace it. That way, your design remains intact and it won't take that much time. Your work is beautiful. (I live in Austin also, by the way.)

o

Thank you so much! You know, I had questioned the use of Weldbond from the beginning, but on the bottle, it said something about indoors or out and that it was waterproof. I like your solution, silvamae. I think that would work. At least it's worth a try. I'm glad I asked now before I got too far.

I'm in Georgetown. Austin is an easier reference for most people to get, so I usually just say "Austin area."

Thanks again!

o

OHMYGOODNESSSSSSSSSSSS, what a beautiful design. Please tell me where you get the glass for the pink and purple petals, and HOW do you cut them so perfectly - and the leaves??????? Thanks, SILVA, for thinking I'm an authority on ANYthing, but I don't think so. I just know that so far I've had great successes w/the adhesive I use. I continue to highly recommend the Mapei Ultra Flex II, a polymer modified professional grade mortar. Mapei Keracolor sanded grout goes with it. I would not think of using anything else for outdoor installations. JENEL: I, too, am sorry to say that no matter what the label says on Weldbond, I wouldn't trust it. You can do a test and see for yourself - immerse a glued piece in water, and see how it rehydrates. I used to live in Round Rock, so I know your climate. You just can't trust it to be mild all the time. I sooooooo love your design.

o

Thanks, Slow! I've really been having a lot of fun putting this together. The idea in my head is to recreate the colors in our back yard so that we have those colors even in the winter. The pink flowers are rock roses, the dark purple are Mexican petunias, and the pale purple are blue plumbago.

The bright flowers are beads I purchased at a local bead store. There is one lone purple flower I cut out of glass. I think I'll do some more now that I'm going to use a different adhesive. The purple glass is transparent, so it didn't look good with the Weldbond behind it, but it should look great when it's backed by an opaque adhesive.

I'm convinced that I need to use a different adhesive. I'll look into the Mapei Ultra Flex II. Thanks for the recommendation.

Now, about correcting what I have already done... Do you think these pieces would be easier to pop off if I hose down the whole mosaic first? Since Weldbond doesn't do well with water, it seems like that might soften them it up enough to make them easier to dislodge. I like silvamae's idea of doing them one at a time, buttering the back, and then replacing them.

Any recommendations on how I should go about this? Also, any early recommendations about grout color?

o

JEN: If I were correcting a problem such as this, I'd put the water on it, soak it awhile, and just wipe the whole thing clean and start over. I know when I let a little paint brush dry w/Weldbond, I just soak it in water, and it's easy to clean again. IMO buttering each piece w/drive me crazy, so I wouldn't do it that way. You made the design once, you can surely re-create it. I get the Mapei at Lowes - only place that sells it in Texarkana.

o

Thanks, slow! So soaking it would definitely make it easier to pull up each piece?

Buttering each piece wouldn't make me crazy, and I think it would be the best way for me to proceed, personally. The main reason being that I'm sort of letting this mosaic grow organically. I want to get the full leaves and flowers down and then cut pieces to fill in the gaps. If I were to put mortar on the whole thing, I'd have to have all the pieces pre-cut, and I'm not prepared for that. I think this piece could take a year, and I'm okay with that. I know I'm not doing it in the most efficient way.

Maybe what I should do is cut mesh to the right size and glue it to the mesh. I wanted to try a piece where I glued directly to the substrate for the first time, but maybe mesh is the answer.

o

Mapei Ultra Flex II Is this a powder mortar that you have to mix? That is not a problem, I just want to make sure I have the right one. This is the only one I see at Lowes online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaics

o

I understand perfectly. I only spread a few inches at a time, and sometimes I butter my pieces also - depends on the curves and concave nature of my shards. OHPINK: Yes, Ultra Flex II is a powder, and it already has the admixture in it. On small projects, I start w/a cup at a time. I'm working on bricks now to go in a pathway that runs along side my birdbath, and I can get about six bricks w/a little less than a cup of mortar. Mix the water sparingly at first. Practice w/enable you to gauge it almost exactly the more you use it. I love the adhesive nature of it. I have a student right now, and we're using it to cover a bowl and pitcher. I use it for inside projects - where tess w/Weldbond slides, and always for outside projects.

o

Jenel that is going to be great .You are a girl after my on heart Ha! I love rock roses, the dark purple are Mexican petunias, and the pale purple Those are what is in my garden.I love mp
I love what you are doing .I work like that also go with a flow Ha!!!
Hey! I live in LLano west of you and my niece lives in GT If I was not so old and do not want to start over I would want to live there.You are doing good and I would do what the others have told you.

o

Wow, this is absolutely beautiful!!! I can't wait to see the finished project!

o

Your piece is beautiful already, Jenel! Love the flowers!!!!!
So glad you asked about the Weldbond when you did and that you're ready to roll with making it so that it will last a lifetime!
(We're headed toward TX for a quick visit in Austin and N. Braunsfels soon... visiting grandkids. :)

o

I've switched to Lexel for the glue but decided to leave what I had up there and repair it if necessary. I'll seal the grout well and hope for the best.

Here's an updated pic:

o

Absolutely gorgeous. Be sure and let us know how it all works out when you use the shower. As stated on this forum b/f, there are some people who swear by Weldbond's outside use. It'll be interesting to get your feedback. Wishing you the best. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your design and colors. Those pink and blue beads are delicious.

o

Thanks, everyone, for being so supportive! I'm having a great time with this. Here's an updated pic:

o

Jenel, There is a 3 part grout system that Lowe's carries. It is very easy to work with. It is pricier than regular grout but it sets up rock hard and seals itself. If I were doing this project for outside in the weather I would definitely use it. It is called Spectra Lock
BTW, your shower is looking beautiful!

o

GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

Thank you so much for the grout recommendation, emtnest! That's a great idea. I'm definitely willing to spend more to protect this from the elements.

o

Thank you, Slow! I am having so much fun with this! I have ideas in my head, but in many ways, the design is growing organically. I'm thinking now about adding more of the polished rocks (like the ones that are in the bottom, to create a horizon line of sorts. I'll lay them out first to see whether I like the look before I start any gluing.

o

I love your description about how it is evolving inside your head, that is how I create too!!! It is lovely so far!This is gonna be AMAZING!!!!

o

This thing is coming along so slowly! I wish I had time to work on it more than just the weekends. Plus, we went out to dinner last night with my husband's brother and his wife, which was fun, but which took time away from this. Do you all ever just want to say no to all invitations so you can stay home and cut glass?

o

Yep, you've caught the mosaicing obsession!!! I used to be obsessed w/quilting, and when I started teaching it, my husband w/warn my students that they'd become recluses. My reclusiveness has worsend w/mosaics. Your door is looking sooooooooo beautiful.

o

Looking good! Yes, you've caught it and there's no cure. I have even toyed with the idea of going somewhere by myself for the weekend and taking my glass, plates, and nippers with me and sitting alone in some motel room in some little town, nipping away, with no interruptions!

o

That's interesting, Slow! When I finish this project, I'm planning to learn to quilt. I think the piecing and color selections would give me a similar experience as creating a mosaic, but it might be a more mobile hobby.

Thanks, Silva!

o

Uh oh, SILVA. You are in for another obsessing, addicting hobby. I never went anywhere w/o my hand quilting - plane trips, doctor's office, after work if I had to wait on DH - no matter if I had 10 min, I whipped out the quilting. It ruled my life. Sorry to say, I have several quilts that I never got quilted b/f the mosaicing took over and gobbled up every hobby I had. I peaced and quilted them all by hand. Say goodbye to mosaicing when you start quilting.

o

Think you meant "uh oh, JENEL." LOL! I'm the one who's planning to learn quilting. I'm not sure it'll take over mosaicking, but it will definitely be either/or for each project. I can't have more than one project going at a time. I don't have enough time to work on one, much less two.

o

Getting old here, JENEL: Sorry. Believe me, when you start quilting, I have a feeling you'll do NOTHING else.

o

No worries! On the quilting, we'll see. I have always hated ironing, but quilters tell me that it's different when you're pressing.

o

Oh, and that's another thing, JENEL - quilter tools. It's another black hole to pour money down. You'll just have to have the small ironing board and the small little presser iron. You're in for a fun ride. Don't EVEN get me thinking of it, cuz I'm liable to haul off and cut out a square. All I need to do is open a quilting book. Speaking of which, I see you are in Georgetown. If you're interested in a whole bunch of quilting books, email me. I'm cleaning out my garage and am about to toss them. I'll toss them to you.

o

That's so sweet, Slow! I think I'll pass, though, because I already bought a bunch of quilting books at an estate sale (along with the tiny iron but sadly no tiny ironing board). I have a whole bunch of quilting paraphernalia... and I don't even quilt yet! LOL

o

I loooooooooove my new Taurus 3 ring saw. I spent the weekend cutting leaves and this butterfly. As you can see from the progress pictures, I scrapped a couple weeks of work by changing the vine's leaf. I just didn't love the other one. Thankfully, I never glued them. I'm committed to these now. They're all glued, and I'm ready to move onto finishing the gray pot. I also think I'm going to surprise my husband with a gecko. :)

10242010-2

o

Oh, I meant to mention... I'm playing with a bit of hardware, in addition to the glass and beads. I'm really curious to see what the butterfly's antennae will look like after I grout.

o

Oh I love the new vine, and your butterfly is gorgeous. Aren't those Taurus saws wonderful? Haven't used mine in several years. You inspire me to dig it out. Now that my garage is clean, the saw is handily available. OH YES - a gecko for sure.

o

Thanks, Slow! I like the new vine much better, too. The other version looked chunky and off.

I ran across a scrumptious piece of glass yesterday that is clear glass with an underlay of copper, green, black, and brown. Very mottled looking, really autumn-y. When I saw it, I immediately thought of making a gecko!

o

Wow, looking good!

o

Well some how I have missed this .I love love love this such a great job.Jenel My niece lives in GT.I love GT If I was not to old I would move there.Is the 2 glass shops still there.?

o

I must have been sleeping too as I missed this thread until today. This is beautiful and evolving very nicely. You are doing such a neat and tidy job with this and your designs are too die for. Stay with this girl, quilting is fun but not like this...too slow for me. No pun intended.
Keep up the good work.

o

have all of you seen that 'quilt' the lady made in mosaic?
that was insane, the amount of figureing out how to do it...
I'd never have that kind of stick-to-it-ivness...

o

Thank you, everyone! Yesterday, I decided to cut a gecko out of some *really* cool glass I had picked up somewhere. The glass itself is clear, but there is something affixed to the bottom that is sparkly like foil. Shades of copper, green like aged copper (verdigris), black, and silver. It's very cool looking, and I thought it would make an awesome lizard like the ones we have in our yard, some of which change colors. It really does look fantastic. I'm very proud. :) I'll post a picture soon.

Unfortunately, the stuff affixed to the bottom has a black backing that is almost tar-like in nature, and it gummed up my Taurus 3. I broke the blade. I've had this thing a week, used it twice, and I already broke the stupid blade! Sigh.

Replacement blades are on order, but we're going out of town next weekend, so more cutting will have to wait. I think I will do some hand cutting today of the gray pot. I have already cut a bunch of 3/4-inch squares of varying shades of blue, which will make up the sky, but I had planned on laying the sky after everything else was done.

o
Re: Glass stores in Georgetown, Texas

Thank you, Tricia! I can't imagine that ANYONE is too old to move to Georgetown, since we're the #1 place to retire in all the United States. 3 years running, I think. :) Next time you come to visit your niece, let me know if you'd like to meet. That would be fun.

Yes, we do still have two glass shops. One is Inspiration Glass Studios, and they do mostly stained glass. The other is Curious Glass, and they do mostly fused glass. Inspiration is better for basics, I think, and Curious is better for "I've GOT TO HAVE THAT GLASS glass." Curious has the stuff that makes me go all shivery.

o

The mosaic quilts are amazing!

Here's the progress pics on my mosaic. I didn't get any cutting done today since I broke my blade, but I started gluing the sky. I'm going to be kind of sad when I finish this project.

10312010-3

10312010-2

o

Oh, I love love love the butterfly. You're right - the glass for the gecko is perfect. This is looking more beautiful w/every addition. Every time I see it, though, I think of the glue you're using, and worrying about it. Don't remember if we mentioned using resin to cover everything so it won't be subjected to water. That's my suggestion for keeping this together and not wasting all this wonderful work.

o

Slow, I'm not using the same glue. I switched to Lexell, a silicone alternative. I did not remove the pieces that I had already glued with Weldbond, though, so they're still vulnerable. I do intend to seal very well and then hope for the best. Do you have a suggestion for what resin I should use, if I go that route? That sounds like a great idea, since this will by its very nature be subjected to lots of water. I figure if those pieces come up, I can reglue them with Lexell, but the rest will still be okay.

I love that you're worried about me, though! I really appreciate your concern.

o

LOL. I had forgotten that you switched to Lexel. Phew!!!!! One thing off my worry list. I know the resin is expensive, cuz I saw a gallon of it in an auto supply shop, but I'd say it w/be well worth it for your project of which you want many years of use. It's gonna be one of a kind work of art, and all the protection you give it w/make it last, especially after all the work you're putting into it.

o

WOW! Lovely!!!

o

Oh, this is turning out to be a work of art. What a great job you are doing!

o

Thank you, Calamity and fldirt! I'm having a lot of fun with it. I just wish I had more time to work on it. I feel like the end is in sight. The only intricate cutting left to do is to finish off the pot. Other than that, it's all sky, which is comprised of squares. Straight lines are so easy and fast to cut after all these curves and angles!

Then I'm going to learn to quilt, and then I'm going to do another mosaic I've been thinking about for several years now. I think I'm ready to tackle the autumn scene in my head. :)

o

Progress report. I regret the clouds in the sky. I think they're too distracting. But they're glued, and I'm committed, and maybe once the whole thing is grouted, the colors will look more cohesive.

o

This is absolutely gorgeous! Great job. I'm trying to figure out what material you are using to glue the pieces to? Cement board? Thanks.

o

Thanks! I'm gluing it to Wedi board, which is a type of cement board. It's the first time I've used it. I'm trying to decide what to do with the back of it, which will be visible from part of the yard. The three ideas I'm toying with are to paint the back a solid color, to paint a mural on the back (which I've never done), or to do another mosaic on the back once the outdoor shower is in place, but to make the second mosaic out of all large pieces of glass. Maybe a single, large flower.

o

A lg flower would be pretty .What ever you do it is looking great!!!

o

My goodness! Am I late to this party.....

Absolutely GAWJUS!!!!!!!!!!

Comment on the Weldbond... I mosaiced two ceramic ducks with the stuff and they have been sitting outside for 3 & 4 years in rain, hail, frost, and the seering heat caused during the Black Saturday bushfires last year, and not one piece has fallen off. I have 100% faith in it - though it is not snow tested. I don't get snow. So have no worries whatsoever about the Weldbond.

Thanks for so many WIP pics!

o

Thank you, Cait! That makes me feel so much better. We don't get snow here, either. I'm in the Austin area, so it only very rarely dips below freezing. I guess I should say that we don't often get snow. It did snow last year for the first time in I don't know how many years. One day, every yard had a snowman - and there was even one snowman riding on the top of a car driving slowly through our neighborhood. The next day, all the snowmen were sad, mostly melted corpses littering the town.

In the past, I've really enjoyed watching other projects progress here, so I decided to return the favor by posting pictures as I went along. I'd love to be able to do some cutting today, but sadly, I've neglected yard work too long and can't put off trimming the bushes any longer. Sigh.

o

It's really looking good, JENEL. I love everything about this. I like your idea of a mosaic on the other side w/larger pieces. This has been so interesting to watch develop.

o

Thank you, Slow. Sadly, I haven't had any time to work on it this weekend. Today I'll spend the day decorating cookies. Also creative, but not nearly as permanent.

o

Oh, how satisfying to bake/decorate cookies. I'm still on a diet, so sadly I'm not eating cookies lately, but the weight is coming off!!!!!!!!!! Winter is almost here - hope you have a place to work on that beauty in winter.

o

great work jenel. any new bits added to it?
or taking a well deserved break for the holidays?
CALIN

o

Thanks, Calin! No, nothing has been added. I have reluctantly been taking a break. Holiday chores like making cookies, and then we sold a rental house that we need to finish renovating before the closing date. So I've been painting and cleaning rather than doing the fun stuff. It may be another month before I can get back to it.

o

jenel,

This is going to be absolutely a masterpiece when finished! What a huge undertaking and I admire your ability to be so patient! Next time, I come to Georgetown, I am going to look you up. My husband's sister lives there and we come for a visit every so often (I live in iowa). Will be coming in February on my way to Austin for the Mosaic Conference. You are so close...any chance of attending?

becky

o

Becky,

I'm afraid I can't afford to attend the workshops at the Mosaic Conference, but I'm hoping they'll have a public exhibition one of the days. I'd love to go ogle all that artwork!

I'd love to meet you! Just so you know, we have a guest apartment that we rent out through VRBO.com. It's cheaper than a hotel and, in my opinion, much nicer. :) I've posted the link below. Even if you're not interested in staying here, please do call. My number is 512-876-6544.

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgetown Texas vacation rental

o

Oooh! I just looked again at the Mosaic Conference website, and you can get a one-day pass to the vendor marketplace for $5! I just might do that!

o
Updated pic

After a month of not working on this, it felt so good to cut glass this weekend! I need to go shopping before the coming weekend, as I'm out of dark gray and running low on sky.

o

dang, that door is one huge amount (I had a different word typed) of work that you've done...
it's really, really fabulous. I know me and my limitations for attention...it'd take at least a year to get half that much done, IF that much...
wow...

o

LOL! I'm certainly not working fast. I think I started this in July. The end is in sight, though. I think this is the most difficult time. The image has come together, and now I'm working just to fill in the blanks. It's not quite as fun as creating the image, so now there's a bit of "chore" involved instead of simply "hobby." Still, I'll keep working because I know I'll be proud to have it in our yard next summer when we have people over.

o

Ohhhhhhhhh YES, you'll be VERY proud of this beauty. It's gorgeous, and unique. I know what you mean about long projects. I have the attention span of a 2-year old. Get very bored w/loooooong project.

o

Just beautiful Jenel..and truly a work of art!

o

did this get finished and i missed the picture???

o

No, still not finished, but it's getting closer. I decided not to post any more progress pics because I'm just filling in the sky. I think it'll be more fun to post the finished (pre-grouted) piece. Sadly, I've been so busy with work that I didn't work on it last weekend at all. I did get a few hours in yesterday. It's getting so close, I'm really, really anxious and excited. I hope to get in at least a few more hours today. I made enough food yesterday that we can have leftovers today. I do have some work I should do, but I'm thinking of putting it off until tomorrow so I can take the full weekend off and just enjoy my hobby, darn it!

o

DONE!!!! I plan to grout tomorrow.

04092011-finished

o

That is fabulous! Congratulations on finishing. Truly a wonderful piece of mosaic.

o

Wow, congratulations!!! You've worked so hard on this and it's turned out beautifully. I love the butterflies and the flowers really pop too.

I can't wait to see it in the actual shower. What a slice of luxury that will be!

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

o

JENEL: I clicked on the photo to see it in "Large" and posted my comments on Flickr. Truly a masterpiece. Take a deep southern bow! I know you're proud of this wonderful project.

o

Thanks, Slow! I saw your comment on Flickr, and it was SO nice! Yes, I'm proud... but I also look at it and think about what I should have done differently. :) In my next project, whenever and whatever that may be, I'd like to challenge myself to incorporate shading to add depth. But I can't work on that yet because I have committed to making my first quilt. It might be my last quilt, too. I can't imagine I'll enjoy it as much as I enjoy cutting glass and tile, but we'll see.

o
Thanks

Thank you, Silva and Lori! It's been a lot of fun. I'm glad you've enjoyed watching the progress, slow as it was. :) I kept telling my husband, "I'd rather do it right than do it fast."

o

BRAVO!!! If you are anything like me, you will find yourself standing in front of it gazing lovingly at the finished product! I still gaze lovingly at my sea horse, till I finally move it!lol! Job Well Done! PS: You could always make a mosaiced quilt like the one Strawberry posted earlier in this thread!lol!

o

JENEL: I have to laugh at your thoughts that you won't enjoy quilting as much as you do mosaicing. I can't wait to get your comments after you start your quilt. What size are you making, and what pattern. My last few were samplers cuz I got bored making the same block 35 times. If there is a quilting forum on GW, I'll surely follow your progress. Need to check that out. As far as enjoyment, if I cut out a quilt block today, I'd be off and running and forget mosaicing for awhile. Which brings up the thoughts that have been running through my head for a month. I need to quilt one of mine for a Christmas gift, and if I don't start soon, it'll be too late. Hate the quilting part.

o

We'll see, Slow. I hope I'll love it. It'll be fun to have something else in the mix. If I do like it, I'll want to create my own patterns, to treat the hobby like mosaics. I think for the first quilt, I'll use a pattern I found in a book. I've got one marked, but I didn't allow myself to look at it or buy fabric until after I had finished the outdoor shower.

Calamity, I'd love to make a mosaic quilt. The one that has always inspired me is the one that's "draped" over Nuryev's grave:

o
Der.

Der. That's a carpet, not a quilt. I'm not very bright.

o

Yeah - b/f I rolled down to your second message, I said out loud - dear, that's a carpet. Can you imagine how much smalti and talent went into making that monument? I'm always awed every time I see pictures of it. I need to read up more on it - what's the fringe made of - anyone know? That's some kind of talent. I always wonder what method the artist used for the substrate? Guess I need to do some Googling.

o

Last pic, I promise!

o

That turned out so pretty!!!! I love love love it!!!!

o

That is just beautiful!

o

Take a deep Texas bow, JENEL: Congratulations on a beautiful project exquisitely executed. This brings to mind another idea - a mosaiced claw-footed tub to go under it. LOL. Betcha can hardly wait to start that one.

o

Slow, I *love* that idea... but I think my husband would kill me. LOL

o

OH...MY...GOD That looks like something out of a magazine! When you'd been saying outdoor shower, I kept thinking shower, with doors and a soap dish...you know. This is absolutely amazing! I love the wood work. I hadn't expected that at all. Completely stunning! Congrats. You've definitely got a piece worth big bragging rights.

o

Beautiful!!!

o

OMG........that turned out beautiful!

o

I'm seeing this a long time after you finished but it was fun going through the discussion seeing your progress and the final product. I need you to do a mosaic in my outdoor shower! You did give me some new ideas to work on....hmmmm.

o

Jenel that is stunning you are very talented!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here