Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenellooney

WIP: Outdoor shower

jenel
13 years ago

I'm amazed by how much blank space there still is on this backer for an outdoor shower we're building, considering how much time I've already put into it. I'm proud of how it's progressing, though. I'm gluing with WeldBond. Does anyone have concerns about that? It's going to be an outdoor application, obviously. It doesn't freeze often in the Austin area, but it does sometimes. And it will obviously get wet on a regular basis.

Comments (89)

• jenel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Tricia! I can't imagine that ANYONE is too old to move to Georgetown, since we're the #1 place to retire in all the United States. 3 years running, I think. :) Next time you come to visit your niece, let me know if you'd like to meet. That would be fun.

Yes, we do still have two glass shops. One is Inspiration Glass Studios, and they do mostly stained glass. The other is Curious Glass, and they do mostly fused glass. Inspiration is better for basics, I think, and Curious is better for "I've GOT TO HAVE THAT GLASS glass." Curious has the stuff that makes me go all shivery.

• jenel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The mosaic quilts are amazing!

Here's the progress pics on my mosaic. I didn't get any cutting done today since I broke my blade, but I started gluing the sky. I'm going to be kind of sad when I finish this project.

• texaswild
    13 years ago

Oh, I love love love the butterfly. You're right - the glass for the gecko is perfect. This is looking more beautiful w/every addition. Every time I see it, though, I think of the glue you're using, and worrying about it. Don't remember if we mentioned using resin to cover everything so it won't be subjected to water. That's my suggestion for keeping this together and not wasting all this wonderful work.

• jenel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Slow, I'm not using the same glue. I switched to Lexell, a silicone alternative. I did not remove the pieces that I had already glued with Weldbond, though, so they're still vulnerable. I do intend to seal very well and then hope for the best. Do you have a suggestion for what resin I should use, if I go that route? That sounds like a great idea, since this will by its very nature be subjected to lots of water. I figure if those pieces come up, I can reglue them with Lexell, but the rest will still be okay.

I love that you're worried about me, though! I really appreciate your concern.

• texaswild
    13 years ago

LOL. I had forgotten that you switched to Lexel. Phew!!!!! One thing off my worry list. I know the resin is expensive, cuz I saw a gallon of it in an auto supply shop, but I'd say it w/be well worth it for your project of which you want many years of use. It's gonna be one of a kind work of art, and all the protection you give it w/make it last, especially after all the work you're putting into it.

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

WOW! Lovely!!!

• fldirt
    13 years ago

Oh, this is turning out to be a work of art. What a great job you are doing!

• jenel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Calamity and fldirt! I'm having a lot of fun with it. I just wish I had more time to work on it. I feel like the end is in sight. The only intricate cutting left to do is to finish off the pot. Other than that, it's all sky, which is comprised of squares. Straight lines are so easy and fast to cut after all these curves and angles!

Then I'm going to learn to quilt, and then I'm going to do another mosaic I've been thinking about for several years now. I think I'm ready to tackle the autumn scene in my head. :)

• jenel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Progress report. I regret the clouds in the sky. I think they're too distracting. But they're glued, and I'm committed, and maybe once the whole thing is grouted, the colors will look more cohesive.

• amerique2
    13 years ago

This is absolutely gorgeous! Great job. I'm trying to figure out what material you are using to glue the pieces to? Cement board? Thanks.

• jenel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! I'm gluing it to Wedi board, which is a type of cement board. It's the first time I've used it. I'm trying to decide what to do with the back of it, which will be visible from part of the yard. The three ideas I'm toying with are to paint the back a solid color, to paint a mural on the back (which I've never done), or to do another mosaic on the back once the outdoor shower is in place, but to make the second mosaic out of all large pieces of glass. Maybe a single, large flower.

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

A lg flower would be pretty .What ever you do it is looking great!!!

• cait1
    13 years ago

My goodness! Am I late to this party.....

Absolutely GAWJUS!!!!!!!!!!

Comment on the Weldbond... I mosaiced two ceramic ducks with the stuff and they have been sitting outside for 3 & 4 years in rain, hail, frost, and the seering heat caused during the Black Saturday bushfires last year, and not one piece has fallen off. I have 100% faith in it - though it is not snow tested. I don't get snow. So have no worries whatsoever about the Weldbond.

Thanks for so many WIP pics!

• jenel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Cait! That makes me feel so much better. We don't get snow here, either. I'm in the Austin area, so it only very rarely dips below freezing. I guess I should say that we don't often get snow. It did snow last year for the first time in I don't know how many years. One day, every yard had a snowman - and there was even one snowman riding on the top of a car driving slowly through our neighborhood. The next day, all the snowmen were sad, mostly melted corpses littering the town.

In the past, I've really enjoyed watching other projects progress here, so I decided to return the favor by posting pictures as I went along. I'd love to be able to do some cutting today, but sadly, I've neglected yard work too long and can't put off trimming the bushes any longer. Sigh.

• texaswild
    13 years ago

It's really looking good, JENEL. I love everything about this. I like your idea of a mosaic on the other side w/larger pieces. This has been so interesting to watch develop.

• jenel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Slow. Sadly, I haven't had any time to work on it this weekend. Today I'll spend the day decorating cookies. Also creative, but not nearly as permanent.

• texaswild
    13 years ago

Oh, how satisfying to bake/decorate cookies. I'm still on a diet, so sadly I'm not eating cookies lately, but the weight is coming off!!!!!!!!!! Winter is almost here - hope you have a place to work on that beauty in winter.

• calinromania
    13 years ago

great work jenel. any new bits added to it?
    or taking a well deserved break for the holidays?
    CALIN

• jenel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Calin! No, nothing has been added. I have reluctantly been taking a break. Holiday chores like making cookies, and then we sold a rental house that we need to finish renovating before the closing date. So I've been painting and cleaning rather than doing the fun stuff. It may be another month before I can get back to it.

• becky_ia
    13 years ago

jenel,

This is going to be absolutely a masterpiece when finished! What a huge undertaking and I admire your ability to be so patient! Next time, I come to Georgetown, I am going to look you up. My husband's sister lives there and we come for a visit every so often (I live in iowa). Will be coming in February on my way to Austin for the Mosaic Conference. You are so close...any chance of attending?

becky

• jenel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Becky,

I'm afraid I can't afford to attend the workshops at the Mosaic Conference, but I'm hoping they'll have a public exhibition one of the days. I'd love to go ogle all that artwork!

I'd love to meet you! Just so you know, we have a guest apartment that we rent out through VRBO.com. It's cheaper than a hotel and, in my opinion, much nicer. :) I've posted the link below. Even if you're not interested in staying here, please do call. My number is 512-876-6544.

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgetown Texas vacation rental

• jenel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oooh! I just looked again at the Mosaic Conference website, and you can get a one-day pass to the vendor marketplace for $5! I just might do that!

• jenel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

After a month of not working on this, it felt so good to cut glass this weekend! I need to go shopping before the coming weekend, as I'm out of dark gray and running low on sky.

• aka_strawberrygoat
    13 years ago

dang, that door is one huge amount (I had a different word typed) of work that you've done...
    it's really, really fabulous. I know me and my limitations for attention...it'd take at least a year to get half that much done, IF that much...
    wow...

• jenel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL! I'm certainly not working fast. I think I started this in July. The end is in sight, though. I think this is the most difficult time. The image has come together, and now I'm working just to fill in the blanks. It's not quite as fun as creating the image, so now there's a bit of "chore" involved instead of simply "hobby." Still, I'll keep working because I know I'll be proud to have it in our yard next summer when we have people over.

• texaswild
    13 years ago

Ohhhhhhhhh YES, you'll be VERY proud of this beauty. It's gorgeous, and unique. I know what you mean about long projects. I have the attention span of a 2-year old. Get very bored w/loooooong project.

• emtnest
    13 years ago

Just beautiful Jenel..and truly a work of art!

• kraftkrazy
    13 years ago

did this get finished and i missed the picture???

• jenel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, still not finished, but it's getting closer. I decided not to post any more progress pics because I'm just filling in the sky. I think it'll be more fun to post the finished (pre-grouted) piece. Sadly, I've been so busy with work that I didn't work on it last weekend at all. I did get a few hours in yesterday. It's getting so close, I'm really, really anxious and excited. I hope to get in at least a few more hours today. I made enough food yesterday that we can have leftovers today. I do have some work I should do, but I'm thinking of putting it off until tomorrow so I can take the full weekend off and just enjoy my hobby, darn it!

• jenel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

DONE!!!! I plan to grout tomorrow.

• silvamae
    12 years ago

That is fabulous! Congratulations on finishing. Truly a wonderful piece of mosaic.

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Wow, congratulations!!! You've worked so hard on this and it's turned out beautifully. I love the butterflies and the flowers really pop too.

I can't wait to see it in the actual shower. What a slice of luxury that will be!

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

• texaswild
    12 years ago

JENEL: I clicked on the photo to see it in "Large" and posted my comments on Flickr. Truly a masterpiece. Take a deep southern bow! I know you're proud of this wonderful project.

• jenel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Slow! I saw your comment on Flickr, and it was SO nice! Yes, I'm proud... but I also look at it and think about what I should have done differently. :) In my next project, whenever and whatever that may be, I'd like to challenge myself to incorporate shading to add depth. But I can't work on that yet because I have committed to making my first quilt. It might be my last quilt, too. I can't imagine I'll enjoy it as much as I enjoy cutting glass and tile, but we'll see.

• jenel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Silva and Lori! It's been a lot of fun. I'm glad you've enjoyed watching the progress, slow as it was. :) I kept telling my husband, "I'd rather do it right than do it fast."

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

BRAVO!!! If you are anything like me, you will find yourself standing in front of it gazing lovingly at the finished product! I still gaze lovingly at my sea horse, till I finally move it!lol! Job Well Done! PS: You could always make a mosaiced quilt like the one Strawberry posted earlier in this thread!lol!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

JENEL: I have to laugh at your thoughts that you won't enjoy quilting as much as you do mosaicing. I can't wait to get your comments after you start your quilt. What size are you making, and what pattern. My last few were samplers cuz I got bored making the same block 35 times. If there is a quilting forum on GW, I'll surely follow your progress. Need to check that out. As far as enjoyment, if I cut out a quilt block today, I'd be off and running and forget mosaicing for awhile. Which brings up the thoughts that have been running through my head for a month. I need to quilt one of mine for a Christmas gift, and if I don't start soon, it'll be too late. Hate the quilting part.

• jenel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We'll see, Slow. I hope I'll love it. It'll be fun to have something else in the mix. If I do like it, I'll want to create my own patterns, to treat the hobby like mosaics. I think for the first quilt, I'll use a pattern I found in a book. I've got one marked, but I didn't allow myself to look at it or buy fabric until after I had finished the outdoor shower.

Calamity, I'd love to make a mosaic quilt. The one that has always inspired me is the one that's "draped" over Nuryev's grave:

• jenel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Der. That's a carpet, not a quilt. I'm not very bright.

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Yeah - b/f I rolled down to your second message, I said out loud - dear, that's a carpet. Can you imagine how much smalti and talent went into making that monument? I'm always awed every time I see pictures of it. I need to read up more on it - what's the fringe made of - anyone know? That's some kind of talent. I always wonder what method the artist used for the substrate? Guess I need to do some Googling.

• jenel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Last pic, I promise!

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

That turned out so pretty!!!! I love love love it!!!!

• silvamae
    12 years ago

That is just beautiful!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Take a deep Texas bow, JENEL: Congratulations on a beautiful project exquisitely executed. This brings to mind another idea - a mosaiced claw-footed tub to go under it. LOL. Betcha can hardly wait to start that one.

• jenel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Slow, I *love* that idea... but I think my husband would kill me. LOL

• loribee2
    12 years ago

OH...MY...GOD That looks like something out of a magazine! When you'd been saying outdoor shower, I kept thinking shower, with doors and a soap dish...you know. This is absolutely amazing! I love the wood work. I hadn't expected that at all. Completely stunning! Congrats. You've definitely got a piece worth big bragging rights.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Beautiful!!!

• fldirt
    12 years ago

OMG........that turned out beautiful!

• johnorange
    10 years ago

I'm seeing this a long time after you finished but it was fun going through the discussion seeing your progress and the final product. I need you to do a mosaic in my outdoor shower! You did give me some new ideas to work on....hmmmm.

• julie10059
    10 years ago

Jenel that is stunning you are very talented!

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA