Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finding the perfect color glass *ugh*

Posted by toomuchglass (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 21:56

Don't ya hate that ? I have "toomuchglass" ... heheh

I feel like I have every color glass I'll ever need .... But one. I know alot of people that use ribbon and do sewing . It's like Murphy's law .. you have every color but the one you need ~ LOL

I make alot of things that could use an opaque grey with lightly swirled black. There is no such animal. I've even been experimenting with painting and baking my own custom colored glass. I'm working on the Harley mosaic & I'm just stuck trying to figure out how to make "gravel" color.

Have you ever needed a color glass that just doesn't exist ? What did you do ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finding the perfect color glass *ugh*

Too, I like grey glass too. The people at one of my favorite haunts, Bedrock Industries, told me it's just not a popular color.

I looked at Spectrum glass and found something that may be of interest - hope it helps. Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Spectrum glass

o

Hi toomuchglass, how about substituting something besides glass for the gravel, perhaps even real gravel?
I just finished working on a frame I'll be using on a mirror. I used all sorts of jewelry pieces on it as well as spoons, and varies knick knack keepsake items that I had and it got me to thinking of all the possibilities for mosaicing.

This past weekend I went to a flea market and bought anything that I could find that were in bunches. For example, one person had a pile of radio knobs.... think outside the box, it'll add interest to your piece!

o

you can find black aquarium gravel on ebay.

o

I'll try that on my next project . I don't want to experiment on a custom order , but it sounds like it might turn out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here