Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bowling ball grout cracks?

Posted by anneinva_2009 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 8, 11 at 21:20

i made a bowling ball last year. this is the second summer it has been outside. It wintered in the garage. I noticed some small cracks in the grout. I wonder why this has happened. I sealed it once. But perhaps I should have put more coats on it. I used sanded grout. any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bowling ball grout cracks?

Some bowling balls are made of a material that expands and contracts in the weather, no matter what you do to it. Others have no problem at all. You can re-grout it-just do another coat of grout, but Im not sure how sealer will affect that process.
unless you make your BB from styrofoam covered with mortar,they are best treated as temporary objects, to last a few years, because of the uncertainty with them. some ppl have great luck, others not.

o

anneinva,
I apologize for going on a tangent since I don't have anything to add to what wacky said- for our future projects:
I wonder if there is a way to tell what kind of bb you have? A test to do over a winter for example. I'm also thinking that perhaps just ge ii silicone holding stuff and no grout (which many of the junkers do) might last through slight expansions.
Kathy

o

I THINK altho I am not certain the older balls are the better ones-the newer ones are more plasticky and expand. You would be better off to simply buy a styrofoam ball and thinset it then mosaic. and I am of the mind that ge11 is best since it flexes and isnt rigid. and also-a bonus-If you use styrofom for ball-it will float when you are done!

o

NO really! A floating mosaic ball. That would be a wonder.

I have 3 candlepin bowling balls that I got at a yard sale. I was thinking of mosaicing them, but maybe I'll just use silicone and glue pennies or some such to them.

Kathy

o

I tried to find some pics-people have posted on FB after they did them, but I cant remember who posted. But yes, they will float. and the silicone and pennies idea is great.

o

I found one!

Here is a link that might be useful: floating mosaic sphere

o
Shiny grout

Some time ago I read there was a gloss grout sealer at Home Depot. I bought TileLab Gloss Sealer & Finish but now realize it is for sealing porous tile. Will this work as grout sealer?

o

Yes, I've used it to seal my grout.

o

Thanks, I don't post often but can always count on help fast. Did go ahead and use it on a lazy susan this afternoon and like the look.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here