Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calamity_j

Finally! A WIP!!!

Calamity_J
15 years ago

Sheesh! It's been so loooong...I am making this for the owners of a tile store in town,(I told them I work for scrap tile!lol!) He had no feet, so I am using styrofoam for his feet, and then decided to make him a lily pad to sit on too!!! I'm thinking of a small lily incorporated somehow....3d?...hmmm...I have another frog with no legs and am thinking of making him for a keeper, he may have a top hat and be a dapper gentleman!lol!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (33)

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

He is a very handsome guy. I am sure you will do him justice as usual. I think he would be fun to do.

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Keep us informed on this one. I like frogs and he is a fine speciman

• curbdiver1954
    15 years ago

Love his expression! He'll definitely be a cute addition to their garden. Good carving on the feet and on the lilly pad.

Pat

• texaswild
    15 years ago

You beat all. W/be a darlin' project. Anxious to watch this one, so huuuuuuuuuury. It's about time you get to feeding us.

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Oh this is going to be great!

• Louisiana_greetings
    15 years ago

love your froggy, got any new pics? looks like you made some progress in your shop, if you have room for froggy :-)
    bonnie

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It just feels so good to be mosaicing again!lol! Here he is so far...slow going as I gotta nip with my left hand cuz of the tennis elbow...

• barbfrizzell1955
    15 years ago

He does look romantic Jane...like he just poured out his heart to his lady love!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Well, from a frog that looked to me like he'd kicked the bucket for sure to an emerging prince! Wonderful!

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Ha! He does look like he's dead in the first pic...but now he looks like he's pleading his case to his lady love!
    Ahhh, he's a sweetie, Jane. Looking forward to seeing him done!

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Love the froggy!!! He is really pining for his love, obviously. LOL

Can't wait to see how he evolves. He is so adorable!!!

• Louisiana_greetings
    15 years ago

OMGosh, he is so cute, hurry up, wanna see more :-)

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    15 years ago

He is coming along great! Just got his underside and back to do and then get to work on the lilypad...(with a shameless plug for Klinger's fireplace screen that now lives at my house!lol!)

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

OMG! That fireplace screen is AWESOME!! And Mr. Romance is coming along great!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Switch to plan "B"...heck, I didn't even know there WAS a Plan B!?! Scrap the styrofoam lily pad and cut a green pc of slate...cut the porceline tiles in the sorta leaf shape I envisioned...(is it me or do they look like a split leaf philidendrum?lol!) Will glue this tile on tonight and tomorrow will grout everything...probably with black grout...maybe...maybe there will be a plan "C"??? hee hee!

• shrty411
    15 years ago

Wow, Jane, you have another great looking critter!!

I like your lily pad idea

• daisyme
    15 years ago

I'm really impressed that you've been able to keep the frog's personality while you're working with the piece. He's so fun. The tile choices are great..so froglike! He IS looking like he's ready to stop posing and be DONE! I used to sing "Some day my prince will come" ...maybe he'll hop my way!

• terikat_mom
    15 years ago

Your frog is SOOOOOO cute, what a character! I like the lily pad too. Is that an unmosaiced pot in the background????hmmmm

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Froggy obviously knows he's in great hands, Just look at his face!! He's going to go on to bring smiles to many people's faces! He's such a charmer!! Fireplace screen is beautiful Klinger!! I love it! Jan

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, just finished grouting...had a bit of a debate going on in my head as he is for the tile store owners, and so I went with the outdoor grout choice of black. This isn't a great pic but as usual I wish I'd done something different! Wished I'da used green grout but didn't have outdoor green and they only sell outdoor grout in 25lb bags, I only needed a cup. He is what he is as Slow would say....I do like the lily pad on the slate...

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

I like the lily pad and the black grout is okay.I would have chosen green too, but black will do. You don't have to buy outdoor grout silly, use thinset and color it with concrete colorant or acryllic paint. Thinset is outdoor grout, so save yourself some $ and color your thinset. You can use grey and go darker, white to go lighter.
    Love him and he is welcome at my pond anytime.

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Wow, I forgot how fast you work! He is just A-DOOR-A-BULL!
    He does look nice as is but if you wanted, could you do a color wash on top that black to lighten it up a bit?
    The lilypad is perfect!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Girls! I was torn to use that super nice thick pc of green slate but it did turn out great! I think I am just used to making things blingy and so he is ho hum to me!lol! I am planning to sneak into their tile store and leave him(and my card) sitting on some tile and sneaking out, and letting them notice him on their own!!! hee hee!!! Don't know if I can pull that off but I wanna try! I think the impact would be so cool!!! Today I'm going off to visit Cozy Cat(who I met here on the GW) and we get to decorate a community hall...using my rooster!!! I got DH to haul him into the car and he is sitting in the passenger seat all buckled in!lol! Nuthin' like taking your art work for a ride!hahaha!

• Louisiana_greetings
    15 years ago

cal, that's cute idear, i like to sneak up on em also :-)
    they'll love him.

• shrty411
    15 years ago

He came out great, they will love him!!

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

Oh My God!!! Calamity j ! That is just too damn cute!
    You make me want to redo everything in my yard!...
    WATCH OUT NEXT SUMMER!!! THAT FROG IS UNREAL!

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

He is soooo cute! You did a great job, I'm sure the tile people will be thrilled! Can't wait to hear their reaction.

• gardencrone
    14 years ago

I know this was LAST YEAR....but, for those of us newbies...I wish the photos stayed. Who is this phototrail and how come they delete the photos? Does anyone still have pictures? Are they somewhere else on the GW site? :( Ah well, sounded so cute.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gardencrone, I am only allowed a certain amount of pics in my albums so I end up deleting some to make room for others...sorry, but here are some pics of the frogs I do, a friend of mine gives me thses old frogs and I transform them...

Also here is a link to my albums if you care to peruse....

Here is a link that might be useful: Jane's album

• texasfern
    14 years ago

Frog are great but as I was snooping in your albums, the cake caught my eye.
    What did you use for substrate? It is lovely!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Styrofoam!!!lol! Same with the little cupcakes...they are styrofoam balls cut in half, glued to a little ceramic dish that looks like a muffin cup! The cake has all those old porceline flowers from england. I made a big teapot once that was plastic, I coated it with dishes and mirror and those flowers, and the friend I gave it to, has had it for about 7yrs, it's starting to look a little sad now, but she said it has been a showpc in her yard!!! Wish I had pics of it....was on a old computer, didn't transfer files....

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Beautiful work CALAM!!! Just beautiful all of it!!! What a great yard you have....

• texasfern
    14 years ago

Thanks sweetie.