Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scootsmom

House Number for MIL

scootsmom
15 years ago

I just finished this for my MIL, but I have to grout it. I was serioulsly consider using a dark red or Maroon, just to add more color to it. I am the worlds worst at deciding what color to grout with. I got the flowers and leaves from some old plates, and I used my wet saw to cut them out. It's nothing stupendous, but it kept me occupied while my wheels were turning on my next project.

Comments (19)

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

This is just Lovely!!! Good job, love the flowers!!! And I like how the numbers are nice and thick, they really stand out!

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Very nice! I like your idea of red grout, and you might consider black...that would really make those numbers pop and the yellow flowers, too! So, did your wheels sufficiently turn enough to decide on a new project?

• katishooked
    15 years ago

I'd like to see this grouted in red. I like it. Have been thinking of doing one for son & dil.

• becky_ia
    15 years ago

How about using dark cherry grout? I love that color and it might give you just the "punch" that you are seeking. This turned out really great. I bet your MIL will be thrilled. (I would be!)

Becky

• texaswild
    15 years ago

This is simply BEAUTIFUL. You sure did a "number" on this project - the leaves/flowers are so well placed, and your color combo is perfect. This w/be beautiful in any color grout. LOVE it.

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

It's just lovely! I really love the flowers, great job.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Had another look. Everytime I see one of these, I wanna do one. 'course, I want to do them ALL right now that I'm out of commission. I love the dark colors and the contrast. Really shows the numbers. Beautiful job.

• scootsmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh thank ya'll so much. I still have not had time to grout it yet. This week has been so busy at work, that I am too tired to do anything when I get home, but the weekend is approaching, and it WILL be done.
    Thank you all for you comments. I have not ventured outside of drawn patterns yet, and a preplanned project. BUT my next one will be! Stay tuned.......HAHA

Allyson

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Nice work Allyson and please have mercy on us and don't make us wait too long for the next one.

• scootsmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here it is grouted. Not too sure about it, but it'll do. As usual, the grout color did not turn out exactly as planned. But my MIL loved it so that is all that matters.(isn't it?) LOL

Allyson

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Spectacular!
    You did a wonderful job on the number and making MIL happy.

• barbfrizzell1955
    15 years ago

Yep, making the receiver happy is the most important thing and I think you did a great job on this!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

I don't know what you were aiming for in grout, but this is about as perfect a mosaic as I've seen - not a thing to criticize. Wish I could do that. Your pieces are small, well placed, and the tesserae you used is perfect. Girlie, pat yourself on the back. This is a beautiful piece of art. Who WOULDN'T love to receive a gift such as this one?

• terikat_mom
    15 years ago

oooooh I love the red grout. I never would have thought of red but it looks great! Your MIL will be the envy of all of her neighbors!

• scootsmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ohhhhh, ya'll are so sweet. Thank you for your compliments. I guess I am my worst critic. I just wished the grout had been a little darker, but as it dried, it got lighter. Also, this is the first time I have ever used any color other than gray or tan, so this is my first "outside the box" one.

I hope you all know that all of the projects that I have seen on here are perfect to me. You all are so very talented and are what inspires me to try new things. Thank you all!

Allyson

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Hmmm, thought I commented on this last night...it's just beautiful! The red grout really made it all pop! Glad your MIL loves it, but who wouldn't? Great job!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Well, i think it's lovely, and as a MIL, I'd be delighted you made it for me. I was interested that you cut out the flower pieces with the wet saw. No chipping? It's a perfect gift. Nice job!

• scootsmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

daisyme, i used a small wet saw that I got at Lowes a few weeks ago. I cut up the plates as close to the flowers and leaves as I could and then just cleaned them up against the blade of the saw. I did not thave any chipping on these, but on some other things I have had chipping.I guess it depends on the dishes that you cut.

Thanks again for all your comments!

Allyson

• shrty411
    15 years ago

It's beautiful!!

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms