Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loribee2

I finally have something to share!

loribee2
13 years ago

My first garden mushroom:

I made this mushroom from concrete then did a mosaic design on the cap. My only complaint is that one of the tiles I used is the exact color of the grout so it doesn't show well. Newbie mistake. Other thing I'll do differently next time is try to get my tiles closer together. I didn't realize that tiling a curved surface is way different than tiling something flat. Though the bottom of the tiles are close together, they "fan out" at the top, leaving way more space between the exposed surface than I'd expected. Using a thinner tile or maybe mosaic glass would improve that quite a bit, I'm thinking.

Comments (12)

• silvamae
    13 years ago

What a darling mushroom! I have made a mistake in the past on curved surfaces; I place the pieces close together but then when I grout, they appear to be much further apart. Now when I work on a curved surface, I place everything touching each other.

• loribee2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! Yes, I'm definitely doing that with the next one. I was a little shocked (disappointed) when I grouted the cap and saw how much grout surface I ended up with. It really didn't seem like that when I was putting the pieces on there. Thanks for confirming that's how you do it. People always say the tiles aren't supposed to touch when you mosaic, but I'm thinking with these types of surfaces, you don't really have a choice--unless you use something thinner like stained glass.

• texaswild
    13 years ago

Yakity yak - quit criticizing your work - it's BEAUTIFUL - love the shape, love the color, and, well, it's a wonderful mushroom - so mushroomy. If you don't like it, I'll surely take it. Want my address???

• loribee2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL, okay okay. I love it too. What I really love is working with concrete and tiles. I'm new to this medium and am having an absolute blast learning the craft and discovering my unique style. This little mushroom was loads of fun. (Though the next one will turn out even better....heh)

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Very Good First!!! On all accounts! Now he needs a few buddies!!!lol!

• texaswild
    13 years ago

What CALAM said!!! LORI: Doncha just love playing w/these toys? The addiction gets much worse. It w/keep you awake at night.

• loribee2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tell me about it. And if I run out of room in my yard, a friend suggested I make them to sell at a crafts fair. LOL

My husband suggested I vary the size. I like that idea, but now to find the perfect bowl/cup combination for the molds. I guess that means more shopping!

• wackyweeder
    13 years ago

It looks great and I like the more natural colors. Yes make different sizes!

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

Yes very cool I just got through doing 2 They are sold .I love making them I have some real big ones.I make all sizes You did real goo love them .I put most every thing I do real close together.

• loribee2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Very adorable! I love to see how each person approaches the "garden mosaic mushroom" differently. So unique. I just got back from the store where I picked up a number of different molds for caps and bases (i.e., cups and bowls). I can't wait to crank out more!

• texaswild
    13 years ago

How cool is that, NANA - love it!!! LORI: I forgot to ask what you used for the stem on yours. It looks so real. Y'all keep this up, and I'm gonna get inspired to make some. Might look good under my birdbath.

• loribee2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The cap is a bowl, the base is a plastic cup. I filled them both with concrete, stuck a piece of rebar in the cup (to make a stake) and let them cure. The base is painted then sealed with a spray sealer. When I'd finished both, I used Gorilla Glue to glue the two pieces together.

I had fun last night looking for more bowl/cup combinations that would make cute mushrooms, and the small size makes them good for experimenting with concrete. I'm thinking about trying some different techniques, like maybe a colorful aggregate or reverse mosaic on the cap. I'm also intending to play with some concrete formulas that include perlite to lighten them up a little. I would love to send some as gifts to relatives, but the weight makes shipping expensive.

Why do I get the feeling somewhere down the line people are going to start calling me the mushroom lady? LOL

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus