Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmck_nc_gw

Ever been afraid to finish?

jmck_nc
15 years ago

I posted probably a month ago and got some good advice on the table I am making with flat river rock tiles. I've adhered them to the table top, sealed the tiles and have been stuck about the edge. I think I'm going to use a thin wood strip to edge it and then will finally be able to grout. I'm just afraid to mess up! I love, love the table and would hate to make a mistake that ruins it. Has this happened to anyone else?

Judy

Comments (22)

• gcpommom
    15 years ago

Hi Judy
    I remember that table, it was so cool! Can't wait to see it finished.
    I have felt the same way, and was afraid to grout my vase. However, the grouting wasn't that bad at all. Then, when I didn't like the grout color, I just dyed it, and it was fine. There are lots of tips on this site and people to help you along. So don't worry too much, you'll do fine.

Right now I am afraid to start a table because I will have to use thinset for the first time! Plus, I also am worried about what to do with the table edge--should I tile it or not? I have prepped it, painted it, but I keep putting off actually tiling it. You are NOT alone :)

(another)Judy

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

You guys remind me of myself a few years ago and of Daisyme just a couple months ago. Go for it, it isn't the end of the world and we can talk you thru it. If you make a mistake, it can always be rectified. So get started, you will never have successes unless you are not afraid to fail.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Don't forget to seal your rocks first as they may tend to absorb the grout(be porous)I did a rock covered squirrell and shoulda sealed the rocks first...

• jmck_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks...I will just go for it, but I'm still afraid!

Judy..I used thinset for this table and it was easier than I thought.

Flag, I've already received invaluable help here. It's good to know I have some backup if I really mess up.

Calamity, I did seal the rocks already...really brought out the beautiful colors.

I feel better for just expressing this silly fear. I will post a pic when it's done...hopefully this weekend.
    Judy

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Yay! I'm glad they got you over your "fear-of-grout"...I've been there! Can't wait to see your table...I remember just LOVING that river rock and the cool design you did!

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Can't wait to see your next pix. I've been there, in fact I'm still just learning how to do mosaics, but it sure is fun, and it helps to hear others have been there. Go for it..

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

I am always afraid to grout!.......
    It never turns out like I envisioned.....It's a surprise..
    and not always good!LOl! I always hold my breath!LOl!
    When I really hate it....I remember I can paint the grout...Thank God!!ahhaahha! Most all mistakes can be fixed! grout can be rubbed, and smoothed....it's kind of no harm no foul hobbie!LOl! I have even taken it to the sink, and scrubbed it all out with a tooth brush!LOL! So grout is expendable!LOL!!

• curbdiver1954
    15 years ago

Love - I highly recommend you DO NOT scrub it out with a toothbrush into your SINK!! It will definitely build up in your pipes, no matter HOW much water you run while you're doing it! Do it outside with the garden hose or into/over a bucket of water that's dumped outside....the bill will be horrendous to replace all that plumbing.

Pat

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

curbdiver, I so know what you are saying! It was an emergency! It was hardening, and had to be done!LOl! I use
    5 gallon buckets..3 of them when I grout, a real pain in the butt! I had my backsplash done, 10 years ago( before I did mosaics), and the tiles guys used my sink..and it didn't
    cause me problems..but it may have been the reason the city had to come out and take care of the main area by my house! that was alot of grout! I grouted in my sink all the time at first, and I moved quite often..I had no idea
    there were ever going to be problems. I read online NOT to do that......and was kinda freaked! so I don't do it any more. I'm glad you brought that up! We need to let everyone know NOT TO DO THAT!!!!

• gcpommom
    15 years ago

Judy--Sooo...how did the grouting go? Got any pics yet? Can't wait to see the table!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

I loved that you asked this question. I worried for days about grouting the jungle, as I knew grouting could change a piece's character. But it was so much fun to see it's final evolution when I finally took the plunge. You will enjoy that too, I know!

Your table top is absolutely gorgeous as it's laid out. I know you're concerned about changes, but go for it! It will be wonderful and we're so anxious to see!

• jmck_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I finally conquered my fear and grouted it two nights ago. My son helped...any time you have a 15yr old boy who wants to help his mother you take him up on it! It was really hard! I bought premixed grout..mistake number 486...and it really was too watery, but once you start you have to keep on moving. I wish I had gone a little darker, but overall it's good. The only problem being there is a fair amount of grout still on my tiles...the grout was so soft that I couldn't really wipe it well because I kept making big divots in the grout. Sigh...I will be working on getting that off and will post pictures later. Any advice on removing the haze of grout welcome. You guys are the best!
    Judy

• curbdiver1954
    15 years ago

Vinegar is the best haze-remover I've found...that and a LOT of elbow grease! Looking forward to seeing it soon!!

Pat

• jmck_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is my table all grouted. I still need to seal again...rubbing off the grout haze really dulled the stones. Plus hopefully it will make the grout a bit darker. Also the edge needs sanding and another coat of paint due to to my grout difficulties. I learned so much from this project...like the stones have a natural curve on the edges since they are slices of rocks and therefore placing them the way I did, once grouted they are farther apart than I would like. And NEVER use premixed grout! Thanks for all the great advice from everyone and I'll keep posting as I begin new projects.

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Very nicely done, it's beautiful!

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

That turned out real good !

• gcpommom
    15 years ago

I love it! It is really nice, you should be proud! I would think that if the grout was darker, it would blend in with the stones too much and your pattern would be lost, so I like the grout the way it is. Nice job, Judy!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Good grief, that's absolutely a PERFECT mosaic. Looks like you've been doing this for years. There's not one thing I'd change on it, even though I'm a dark grout lover. This is absolutely a WONDERFUL, BEAUTIFUL and professionally done mosaic, girlie. You'll LOVE what the sealer does for the rocks.

• jmck_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the compliments!
    Slow-I couldn't have done it without your helpful advice. You are the most positive, enthusiastic and encouraging teacher!
    Judy

• daisyme
    15 years ago

This table is absolutely wonderful. I've loved it since you first started, and am so happy to see it finished! I think it's perfect. You DID it!

• theeggshelllady
    15 years ago

What a beautiful table! Love your design. Good job.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

That turned out perfect!!! You and your son should be very proud of the job yous did, everytime you look at it!!!

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs