Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Talavera Tile Outdoors?

Posted by loribee2 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 17, 10 at 19:16

I just bought some beautiful Mexican talavera tiles. They came from a site that allows you to buy individual tiles at a good price (80 cents for a 4"X4"). Shipping was reasonable and I got them quickly. I just tried cutting one and it cut easily and clean. I think I'm in love!

I'll be using them to make an outdoor mosaic table top that will get weather, though our climate is mild (Zone 10). Does anyone have experience with how well these tiles hold up in the weather? Websites claim in mild climates they're fine, but we do get a little frost.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Talavera Tile Outdoors?

What happens to tiles is they are porous and the cut edges absorb water. when it freezes the water in the pores of the tile expands and pops off the glaze. If you dont get freezes I personally would try it. but maybe others who live in your climate will chime in.

o

I live in zone 7 - 8, and I use them outside w/no problem - even in our worst winter last year. The only tiles I've seen affected by the extreme winter we had was the ones I cut from hand-painted plates - bought at World Market in Dallas - made in China. The paint came off in small places - not totally - and can be touched up w/porcelain paint. Like WACKY says - depeneds on your climate.

o

Thanks for the response! It's what I was hoping I'd hear, as I love these tiles--the price, the colors, and how easy they are to cut. But since just about everything I'm making will be outside, I wanted to double-check. Can't wait till I have a finished project to show off!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here