Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Mosaiced Mirror Frame

texaswild
12 years ago

11" X 14" wooden frame from Hobby Lobby w/mixed media mosaics. Can't seem to make my camera make closeup, and I'm too tired to go take more pictures up close. Been working on this for a week, and am so glad it's finished. I used the push/sqush method w/white mortar.

Mosaiced mirror frame

Comments (11)

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Beautiful! So you do use white!
    What an incredible collection of flowers. You must have been saving up for a while. Love the design.
    Kathy

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

I love love love it!!!!!!

• Imsunflwr1
    12 years ago

That is so pretty, Slow and so interesting. Love all the beautiful ceramic roses!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, y'all. CONCRETE - I only use white when I'm doing this push/sqush method w/white tess. I credit WASCHBEAR on Flickr for the inspiration to try this technique. Her work is outstanding, and I could never come close to what she does. I pretty much finished my assortment of the small flowers, so need to go flea mkt hopping for more.

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Oh wow, that's beautiful! If I read the caption correctly, your friend is very lucky. I'm sure she'll love it! Stunning!

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

WOW! Looks Great! Reminds me of the Memory one you did for yourself of your Mom. Love the border! And the flowers! And the mirror on the side is such a great finish, nice and blingy!!!

• Imsunflwr1
    12 years ago

I visited WASCHBEAR'S site on Flickr and was amazed at her boxes using her push/sqush method. What's the real eye-opener is that she literally uses just about anything for tesserae! I didn't realize you could do that so I've shyed away from polymer, resin, and anything other than glass and ceramics. Not for outdoors, but it looks like indoors anything goes! COOL! Thanks Slow!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Waschbear

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Beautiful mirror, Slow. You have so many neat things to use in your work. Love it!

I'm off to check out Waschbear's site.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yesm WASCHBEAR's work is sooooooo beautiful. I've always sneaked a few pieces of odd tess into the inside mosaics. While I love glass, ceramics and dish shards, if I see a beautiful colored plastic or resin, it's going into my work - nothing is off limits to me. My friend Becky and I went on a shopping trip to towns within an hr's. drive today, making our favorite winery, flea mkts, garage sales etc, and I brought back a Jeep load of new stash - MANY little vases/boxes that have the little flowers, plus a huge rose like the one I hand-carried to PV to put on the hat of the piece I mosaiced. Bought some beautiful jewelry too, so I can't wait to start another mirror - this one for my DD. LORI: This one is for my Granddaughter, Kate, and when her Mo - my DD - saw it, she said she wants one just like it. CALAM: I haven't finished that "Memories of Momma" one yet. I'm making it for my bro, who was sooooooo close to Mo - much closer than I was. Since he's coming for Thanksgiving, I gotta get it finished so he can finally take it home.

• lizzardly
    12 years ago

The mirror is absolutely beautiful. I'd say it's just as gorgeous as waschbear's work.

I did fall in love with her pizza oven that she has on her flickr page though. She lists the website that she got the free plans from. Might have to check that out one day.

Just what the i want to do list needed. another huge project. :)

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well thank you, LIZZ: Yeah - that pizza oven and chair are wonderful. Her bathroom shower is looking good too.