Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Inside Front Door Project

texaswild
10 years ago

Painting the surround in preparation for mosaicing the door.
Front Door Surround

Comments (38)

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

This is going to be awesome! I am so happy you are creating once again Betty!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, CRAFTY: Spent the weekend in Dallas. My daughter Shea and Granddaughter w/visit here next weekend. They w/be participating in this project, and I'm anxious to see what their input w/be.

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

Every time you see your front door it should give you fond memories of your time together. Can't wait to see more progress on this!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've had the inspiration to alter my door ever since I mosaiced the outside. It was when I saw the Flickr artist Constance Taylor's door that I decided THAT's what I wanted to do. I also decided I did not want just the door altered. I Googled Artsy Door Surrounds and found more inspiration. I was afraid that because of my bad back I'd never be able to do it. When I asked daughter and granddaughter to help, they willingly agreed, and VIOLA - project began. If y'all haven't seen Constance's work, do check her out on Flickr. She's a wonderful artist.

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

Wow she does do some amazing stuff! Now I think I'm going to go google artsy door surrounds too! LOL

• texaswild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Daughter/Granddaughter coming this weekend to work on the bottom parts that I can't get down and do. They also have license to add anything they'd like to the designs. Getting closer to mosaicing the door panels.
    Front Door Surround Progress

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

This is going to be awesome when it is done. It will be interesting to see their work intertwined with yours!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

NOW does this qualify to be on this forum as a mosaic? Been working two days on the first panel. I'm happy w/the results. This panel took 48 nails, therefore I won't have enough for the bottom panels until my trip back to PV next spring. I only brought back 150 - whaaaaaaaa!!
    Front Door Panel 1

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

I love it!!!! This is going to be out of this world when it is finished! I think I would want to just sit in a chair and look at it all day. LOL Is there another kind of nail or upholstery tack you could get and then alternate the panels using both kinds?

• nanatricia
    10 years ago

Yes o yes loving it!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you ladies. CRAFTY: I had thought of doing that, but I had my heart set on the Mexican nails, and that's what I'll continue to do. It's just five months that I'll be going back to PV and visit my favorite hardware store. It's one of the highlights of my week that I spend at The Hacienda.

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

I guess we will just have to wait patiently for you to go and get more then! LOL

• silvamae
    10 years ago

That is just - - Fantasmagoric! Wow, I LOVE it.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, SILVA. It surely is fun working on it. Have house guest for tomorrow night, so gotta do a bit of straightening. Can hardly wait to start on the next panel. Inspiration has finally hit.

• Calamity_J
    10 years ago

You are soooo prolific Girlie!! Love it! I too love that hardware store in PV! ;-) I think since I have a whole day off...I will start on a project too!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, CALAM. I'm happy to say I found the nails on-line, and just ordered seven pkgs - 126 nails - free shipping. If interested - it's Direct from Mexico.com - they ship out of Arizona - same hand-made nails - more expensive, but I don't have to wait five months to finish this project. W/save my weight allowance and I can buy more flowers from the hardware store. Love that store.

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

I'm glad you were able to find the nails so you can finish this up!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Panel 2 done and applied to door. Have no idea what to do on the other two. One of the members of this forum gave me the image of the young girl. Wish I knew from where she ordered it. Have forgotten her name so can't do a search. She came to Riana's workshop, and this image was one of several gifts she brought me. If any of you know of a website where images are comparable, please advise.
    Panel 2

• wishdish
    10 years ago

I'm loving your door!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, WISHDISH: A friend is coming tomorrow to put the two canvases on the bottome panels. I can't get down to work that low anymore. So glad to have friends to help. As payment she'll shop in my stash.

• TheRedHouse
    10 years ago

Your door is beautiful - so richly textured and interesting. Are you working on canvas and then adhering the canvases to the door? Do I have that right? Do the nails hold the canvases or is there an additional adhesive?

• texaswild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. Yes, on the canvas. No on the nails holding. They were too long, and I didn't want to drill that many holes in the door, so I cut the heads off by putting each one into my vice and used a hacksaw. Was a little bit of time and effort, but they're done. I used Golden's Gel Medium to adhere the canvases and GE II for the nail heads. My inspiration for this project was Constance Taylor's door on Flickr. She used upholstery tacks for her canvas trim. I love the looks of hers but wanted to use the Mexican nails. Every time I go to Puerto Vallarta, I visit the hardware store near the Hacienda Mosaico where I stay to buy more more more!!! They have such beautiful decorative hardware. I still have some pieces from my first trip 10 years ago.

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

This just keeps getting better and better!

• nanatricia
    10 years ago

Yes it does . This is where you need a dremel to cut those ends off.

• emtnest
    10 years ago

Wow Slow...impressed yet again!!! One thing is for sure...you aren't slow in speed...always off and running!!! Good job!!! Will have to check out those nails closer though...

• texaswild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

NANA: I have a Dremel, but not the metal cutting attachment. Every time I thought of going to Lowes to get one - doubt they'd have it anyway - I thought - I can have half the nails cut by the time I get dressed, go to Lowes, fool around w/asking someone to help, and probably coming home empty handed. I also think the Dremel w/be slower than my hacksaw. W/put an attachment on the list for my next visit to Lowes.

Thanks, EMT.

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, OLDCRAFTY: It's almost finished - cleaning the brass and maybe some daughter/granddaughter doodling on the designs on their next visit.
    Front Door Finished

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!!! I would be thrilled to see this masterpiece every day! So what are you going to work on next?

• silvamae
    10 years ago

STUNNING. I LOVE it. Beautiful, unique, colorful ......

• nanatricia
    10 years ago

Yes stunning so cool .I love it .I wish I did not hurt so bad so much I want to do .

• texaswild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank y'all very much. CRAFTY: I surely do enjoy seeing this door every day. Makes me want to paint every door in my house, and I already have a design in mind for the door directly in front of this entry door - the door to my family/room. Going to work on DD's birdbath today. Have a short time to finish it, b/f DGD's birthday weekend here. They'll take both birdbaths home w/them.

NANA. I don't have a day or night w/o pain, but I try to think positively and keep on creating. Helps take my thoughts off the 24/7 pain. Do what you can - keep on creating no matter how small a project.

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

I'm sorry that you have to deal with pain on a daily basis. It has to be so hard to have your mind willing to do something but unable for your body to follow through with it.

Just think, you thought you had run out of room in your house for mosaics and now adorning your doors is the perfect touch to complete it! Can't wait to see door number 2!

• nicethyme
    10 years ago

ooh oh oh my word, BE STILL MY HEART!! this is amazing, I adore it

or a door it

smirk

very cool stuff

• silvamae
    10 years ago

A door it? Haha, nice one, nicethyme. It is so cool, isn't it?

Nana, I am sorry you are in pain. I hear ya; pain is starting to creep up on me too. It's an effort to get out of bed and when I'm on my knees, it's quite the effort getting back up. No fun, is it!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, y'all. I'm surprised CALAM hasn't used that one already. She's AWOL again.

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

I LOVE it. You have such talent and such as gutsy lady to challenge such big projects and deal with the everyday pain. I'm not dealing with pain yet but I know one day I will. That should give me a kick in the rump to get some projects going! Watching for Door #2

• texaswild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, OC. I sorta like this one too. I just never learned how to do nothing, so have to stay busy. Don't know what I'd do w/the creative juices.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County