Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blooper303

ICI Universal Tints - Coloring Grout

blooper303
13 years ago

Hi All. New to the Forums.

The subject is about coloring grout with ICI (the brand) Universal tints that paint stores use when mixing cans of paint. I used some once in a mosaic class, and the instructor could well afford it at the cost of something like $30 a quart. I am ready to splurge big time, and know it will last my lifetime. I was impressed at how a little bit went a long way to make intense colors. She must have a paint store connection because I have yet to find it available to me. A set of primary colors is what I want. I am through with using bottles or tubes of acrylic paint as they give inferior results due to the low amount of pigment contained in them.

So the questions are:

1. Has anyone used the ICI Universal paint tints in grout, and if so, an idea how would I go about getting them?

2. Has anyone used Mixol universal tint in grout? If so, what type of grout: fortified, like sanded Polyblend grout; or regular sanded grout with admix?

FYI: Mixol has no binder, like in an acrylic paint.

And while I'm at it....

3. Does anyone know the result of adding admix to an already fortified grout like Polyblend? Would it be too sticky...set up too quickly?

I know about Tints-All, which has titanium dioxide in it, also expensive, and maybe would not last as long.

So, here are some heavy tech questions. Tell me what you can, please.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions