Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisyme_gw

Show us your bowling balls!

daisyme
14 years ago

I'm looking for inspiration! I've only done the one TG ball, and Calamity posted some plate tess BBs in Garden Junk that I loved. I'm getting ready for Christmas shows and I know the plate shard BBs would be a lot faster to complete, so I bought these plates today to do one.

It'd be fun to see what you all have done! Would you post your BB pics?

Comments (15)

• gardencrone
    14 years ago

Posted some earlier today. Sending over again. :) Enjoy

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket

• daisyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I saw your BBs earlier today on your thread and am glad you posted them here too! I love the way you displayed that one on the tree. Is it just sitting there for the picture, or did you mount it in some way to show it off there? I think it looks wonderful in that setting!

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Do you use thinset on the BB or attach the tiles with silicone before grouting?

• klinger
    14 years ago

I love bb's in the garden, here's one I did with glass

Cindy

• daisyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Soltice, you can use either for either an inside or outside ball. Be sure the ball is free of any oils by washing it, and you could rough it up with a little sandpaper for better grip I hear. On my next one, before I start it, I'm going to fill in all but the thumb hole so it can be put on rebar in the garden. I'd love to see you do one!

• joyy
    14 years ago

i've made only one and that was a couple of years ago. mine isn't an actual bowling ball - it's a resin ball that's meant to look like a big, round.....i don't know... stone? in a garden. same size as a bowling ball, though, and it's a lot lighter than a bb. it was one of my first projects and i used really thick, clear glass on it. i painted and sealed the bottom of the glass first and then cut it up to use. it gives the glass a bit of depth, which is neat but it was a total pain because of the thickness.

it's now sitting at my parents' place on their dining room table. when the sun hits it, it gives off reflections like a disco ball..lol

Here is a link that might be useful:

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

my very 1st mo, sadly it succombed to temp changes

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

then there is the "not as phalic as it used to be" ball

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

then I did the pansy ball

• texasfern
    14 years ago

These are wonderful.
    I have done a couple, but I don't have pics.
    I have 3 of them sitting in the garage, hmmmmmmmm.

• gibsona
    14 years ago

Nice balls, ladies! Love the pansies and that beautiful vase! I attached a link to the thread on 'GJ'.
    Have a good one!
    Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: garden junk BB

• daisyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gib, that was so funny. I didn't read your message well because I was interested in clicking on your link that I thought was to your own BBs. Then it took me to the other site where I had started that link and I then thought that Nicethyme's balls were missing and got confused and thought I was going crazy or something. I finally figured it out! LOL

Klinger! Thanks for contributing a ball to my cause. LOL It looks like it's actually installed in your garden and really reflects the colors in the flowers and sky. So pretty.

Speaking of magical...Joyy! What a beatiful, joyful ball! And you painted the colors on the GLASS. I was thinking of painting some of my balls, but I like what you added about depth of color. What kind of paint did you use?

NT, those balls are wonderful, and I hadn't seen any of them before. Each is so unique and beautiful. Did you figure out why the first one succumed to weather? I'd sure like that not to happen to people I do one for. It looks like a genie would pop out of the second one if you rubbed it, but given what you said about phallic, I'd maybe not do that. LOL The third is just simple charming. I love pansies and the lavender grout really works beautifully. Thanks for sending these!

Texas! Get those balls out and have some fun. Post pictures when you can. I have some black and white plates with architectural things on them that have stumped me for a long time because I didn't know what to do with them. I'm going to put them on a ball.

Well, THIS is sure fun. I hope to see more!

• meadel
    14 years ago

Hey ya'll. Long time no post.
    This BB was done a long time ago. ( so long I don't have a better pic.)
    all rocks in a yin yang pattern on it.

• daisyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I do love it. Very organic! Can you get another picture for us? I've got lots of rock. *:)

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Nice Meadel! Love those Gnome Homes!!! I love hangin' with my gnomies!!!!heh heh!

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022