Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_4_gw

Phenomenon...

lisa_4
16 years ago

Have ya'll watched this movie? (Phenomenmom, with John Trevolta...yes, it's a couple of years old I think) You know the part where they mention how he bought the woman's chairs??? Well, my husband asks me what my "chairs" are so he can buy them. Uuuuuuuuum, where have you been, sweetie??? How about GLASS??????? heheh. OK, yes, I am a smart allek...but really, is it that difficult? lol

Comments (13)

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

Never saw the movie (but I do like John T). Difficult? No, but it's a guy thing. I've been collecting hearts for a while now but the DH has no clue that that might be a good thing to buy me. Ever since we've been married I've had to give him a list of things I want for Christmas (can you tell that opening gifts might not be so enjoyable on the day?). I tell ya, they aren't like us!

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

That is one fo my favorite movies of all time. The "find out what her chairs are" phrase was spoken by the doctors character to John's co-worker. It didn't refer to the actual chairs, but meant he should find out what his girlfriends passion was. To really get to know her.
    It's very sweet your husband asked that.
    My husband knows my "chairs" are my glasswork!

• lisa_4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yep, Bamasusanna, it *was* really sweet and the thought counts pleny with me. I didn't say anything, but it did surprise me that he was serious and didn't know.
    Love that movie too...except that I'm a big baby and cry my eyes out every single time I watch it.

You're blessed that your dh has figured out what your "chairs" are.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

LOL. I really like this and ya know, not too long ago I would have said my Dh was clueless but I was laid up sick all day Monday and he tried to keep the kids busy and out most of the day (hard to have a migraine in a camper)
    sometime that evening I thought I was dreaming him telling me that he picked up a chair at the dumpster, thinking I might want to mosaic it... It wasn't a dream! I was SO TOUCHED! he really loves me!

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

MY DH took the boys to the river this afternoon to swim. After dinner, he was still sitting at the table when I came back into the room, arranging something on the table. He had picked up a bunch of little river rocks, and was making them all fit together on the tablecloth. He asked me if he had "the knack," then said, "Naw, this is YOUR thing." He then told me to give him one of my jars, that they were for me to use at will. Guess he knows my chair too :)

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Oh geez...the dumpster chair brought a tear to my eye!!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Wow, NT you really have converted him!!

My DH is CLUELESS about gifts!Lets ME buy what I want( new or at GS)

Maria

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Didn't see the movie but there are some very touching comments in this thread. You just have to know how to play those guys - like violins - tenderly cuz they are from Mars, doncha know? Treat them like royal Kings, and they'll return it to their Queens ten-fold.

• lisa_4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Slow, I totally agree!

• kelly6780
    16 years ago

Awwwwwww. Everyone is so sweet. I guess my DH and I are more from the digital age. I email my requests and all he has to do is point, click, purchase. Sounds romantic, doesn't it? (Yeah, I know, not so much!)

• seaglassic
    16 years ago

I never saw that movie and really, have never heard the term..chairs...hmmmm interesting.

I call my sweetheart my 'significant bother' a lot of the time but when push comes to shove..that guy really comes through.

he's forever telling me to quit bring more junk home..no room for more free things.
    I continue to fill up the vehicle I drive and try, and fail, to convince him that it's going to be a good project.

this week, after I brough home the things from the farm..I tried to sorta hide them, throughout the yard..lol
    heck, he noticed right away but didn't see the cabinet because it was still in the back of the explorer lol

it was when he noticed the back door was ajar, that he commented that the door was open. I though I had closed it tight but I do remember the idiot light saying 'door ajar' and ignored it.
    then, when he opened it, to see why it wasn't closed tight, was when I though..."oh shoot"...
    he was angry and commented........again........about quit bring junk home..but the sweety actually helped me drag the thing out..and it was heavy.
    he was silent, as we tried to carry it up the narrow walkway, to the front porch.

after about an hour of watching his news station and resting from a hot day of working outside, he was fine again.
    and you know what he did this morning?...
    he knows I'm going to spend the day with chickee and he knows I'm driving the Explorer...he set cash down, for plenty of gas money lol

he knows that I'll be finding things and will be stuffing them in that vehicle. and I'm sure he's going to be rolling his eyes, by later today. lord love that guy!

so, gotta go now and get ready to meet the chick.

Becky .(*_*).

• lisa_4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kelly6780, I have to admit I've done that too! In fact, my husband has technically "bought my chairs" already when he ordered a glass grinder for no reason. I had emailed him a link just to show him what it was (we'd been talking about the jagged edges on some of my mosaics and he'd like to have some smoothed out on future tables and stuff). He surprised me with it...really sweet of him.

Becky, That story was funny! He's sounds like a good guy too. You should watch the movie...it's a good one. The chairs are actual chairs that a lady makes. John's Travolta's character is trying to get her attention, so he starts buying her chairs (she sells them outside of where he works) so she has to keep bringing more to the shop.

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

Boy, there are so many touching & sweet posts here. My DH does know what my "chairs" are and he would willingly do whatever I need to make me happy...and I push him to do car shows or car cruises and our kids pay for his annual golf weekend away with 7 other guys. However, when it comes to buying me gifts, he doesn't have a clue. Thank God my kids are older and THEY know what to get me!!!!

Barb

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths