Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newest bowling ball

Posted by daisyme (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 30, 09 at 16:16

Here's "Midnight on the Midway". I double colorwashed over white grout and hope the color holds. I'll put UV spray on it and seal the grout. I'm kind of thinking I might keep it on the front porch with my purple/blue flowers out of the sun. But I'll probably also put it in the Christmas sales just in case someone liked it enough to support my habit of buying yet more plates.

Midnight on the Midway

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newest bowling ball

Beautiful! It's got the WOW factor going on . . .

o

Daisy, I love those colors. The colorwash sure gave you a gorgeous purple grout color. Love it. What's a uv spray? You gotta put it on your porch where you'll see it all of the time, and maybe just forget to take it to your Christmas sales. LOL

o

I'm THINKIN' about forgetting the Christmas sale on this one. Thank you, Mermaid and Silva!

o

Good heavens, that's gorgeous! Please tell me what a colorwash is. How does it color the grout? Thanks for the help. Cheers, Vee

o

A colorwash is a wash of acrylic paint over the grout in whatever intensity you wish. This is the first time I tried this on a piece that I hope will survive outdoors and not fade. I just couldn't get the deep color I wanted by coloring the grout alone. To get the intense cobalt blue I washed over bright white grout. A friend suggested that I do a colorwash right away to get the color to sink into the wet grout and then do a second coat, which I did. It was also suggested to me to use a good quality acrylic paint that I could get it at Michaels in their better materials section.

The UV spray is an ultra violet spray (purchased at Jo Anns) that I'm putting on in hopes of holding the bright blue in the colorwash from fading in the sunlight.

I'm rather deciding to use this on my porch to keep it out of direct sunlight, but otherwise I'm really happy with it. Thanks for your comments and questions. This is always fun!

o

That turned out real good love the color.Also if you use out door pant it will hold up in color better have done it a lot.

o

That is way cool!!! Great colors..I guess I'm gonna have to try that colorwash thing!!!!

o

Nana, thank you for your idea. What kind of outdoor paint do you use? I just didn't think I could get or make that cobalt color any other way than to buy it, and I think of outdoorpaint coming in really big buckets. I think you can buy small samples now though. Does it go on pretty thick? Can you just wipe off the excess like you do with acrylic paint?

o

That is a beauty.
The colors are wonderful.

o

You can buy patio pant at Hobbylobby or micheal or at some walmart.The gloss pant is also for out doors.Another hting I do islook for oops pant but that is just to have on hand .

o

Lovely Ball ya got there!!!! You know don't you that cobalt is my fav....:)

o

Nana, thank you for that information on the patio and gloss paint that's for outdoors. I'll look for it!

Emtnest. Thanks! And, no I didn't know cobalt was your fav. But I do now!

o

You're not selling that beauty. LOVE it - great china pattern. Wish I could find stuff like that in my area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here