Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisyme_gw

Newest bowling ball

daisyme
14 years ago

Here's "Midnight on the Midway". I double colorwashed over white grout and hope the color holds. I'll put UV spray on it and seal the grout. I'm kind of thinking I might keep it on the front porch with my purple/blue flowers out of the sun. But I'll probably also put it in the Christmas sales just in case someone liked it enough to support my habit of buying yet more plates.

{{gwi:182976}}

Comments (13)

• silvamae
    14 years ago

Beautiful! It's got the WOW factor going on . . .

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

Daisy, I love those colors. The colorwash sure gave you a gorgeous purple grout color. Love it. What's a uv spray? You gotta put it on your porch where you'll see it all of the time, and maybe just forget to take it to your Christmas sales. LOL

• daisyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm THINKIN' about forgetting the Christmas sale on this one. Thank you, Mermaid and Silva!

• vee78910
    14 years ago

Good heavens, that's gorgeous! Please tell me what a colorwash is. How does it color the grout? Thanks for the help. Cheers, Vee

• daisyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A colorwash is a wash of acrylic paint over the grout in whatever intensity you wish. This is the first time I tried this on a piece that I hope will survive outdoors and not fade. I just couldn't get the deep color I wanted by coloring the grout alone. To get the intense cobalt blue I washed over bright white grout. A friend suggested that I do a colorwash right away to get the color to sink into the wet grout and then do a second coat, which I did. It was also suggested to me to use a good quality acrylic paint that I could get it at Michaels in their better materials section.

The UV spray is an ultra violet spray (purchased at Jo Anns) that I'm putting on in hopes of holding the bright blue in the colorwash from fading in the sunlight.

I'm rather deciding to use this on my porch to keep it out of direct sunlight, but otherwise I'm really happy with it. Thanks for your comments and questions. This is always fun!

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

That turned out real good love the color.Also if you use out door pant it will hold up in color better have done it a lot.

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

That is way cool!!! Great colors..I guess I'm gonna have to try that colorwash thing!!!!

• daisyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nana, thank you for your idea. What kind of outdoor paint do you use? I just didn't think I could get or make that cobalt color any other way than to buy it, and I think of outdoorpaint coming in really big buckets. I think you can buy small samples now though. Does it go on pretty thick? Can you just wipe off the excess like you do with acrylic paint?

• texasfern
    14 years ago

That is a beauty.
    The colors are wonderful.

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

You can buy patio pant at Hobbylobby or micheal or at some walmart.The gloss pant is also for out doors.Another hting I do islook for oops pant but that is just to have on hand .

• emtnest
    14 years ago

Lovely Ball ya got there!!!! You know don't you that cobalt is my fav....:)

• daisyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nana, thank you for that information on the patio and gloss paint that's for outdoors. I'll look for it!

Emtnest. Thanks! And, no I didn't know cobalt was your fav. But I do now!

• texaswild
    14 years ago

You're not selling that beauty. LOVE it - great china pattern. Wish I could find stuff like that in my area.