Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Wonder Horse... getting started!

solstice98
14 years ago

A couple weeks ago I introduced myself to you all and asked a few newbie questions. Your advice really helped me get started with the plans for my first 3D mosaic project. I've done one wall but nothing else, so this is a big step. Well I'm finally ready to get started on the rocking horse!

He's been cleaned up, revealing that he is a Wonder Horse. (Of course he is!)

Then DH Jim figured out how to get him attached to a pole, to help in his evolution from rocking horse to carousel horse.

You can't see the way it's secured on the inside but this thing should be able to survive the next Florida hurricane! Mounting it directly onto the pole, then using a patio umbrella stand to hold it up, will making it easier to move if we ever have to do that.

And then today I used a primer on him that bonds to plastic.

I'm all set with adhesive and ready to start applying tiles tomorrow! I'm so excited! I followed your advice and scrounged tiles all over town, from Craigslist to yard sales. I visited Maryland mosaics on line and found some great tiles on sale there, too. I have some ideas sketched out but I think Wonder Horse will continue to evolve as I go. Of course I'll post more pictures as it happens.

Wish me luck!!!

Kate

Comments (30)

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

OH he is too cool!!! Can't wait to see him evolve!!!!!! Great project!!! Keep us posted w/lots of pics!!! You go girl!!!!You did such a good job on your wall I have no doubt he'll be amazig!!!

• gardencrone
    14 years ago

Kate. How exciting...will be watching to see how it goes. If your mosaic wall behind the horse is any indication, it should be beautiful! Sounds like you have done your homework, the rest is just kismet with a little vision. I'll be keeping an eye out.

• wackyweeder
    14 years ago

Oh he is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!
    Be careful with that stand....Im afraid the wind might blow him over....

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Ditto all the above - sounds like you have patience and do your planning, which always brings more beautiful results and less headaches. This w/be a "wonder" to watch.

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to all!
    We are concerned about the stand as well and have tried to make it as stable as we can. We even added some weight to the bottom. If necessary, we'll sink another pole several feet into the ground next to him and secure the horse's pole to that one. We've even discussed setting an eye hook or two into the wall and running cables to the pole. Once he's done (and who knows when that will be!) we'll know how heavy he is and what we need to do. I might like him so much I decide to keep him in the patio instead of the garden.

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

O cool! I'm so excited to see you do this cause I have one waiting too keep us updated with tons of pics please!

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

If you want to weigh down a little bit you could put some thinset and shreded paper inside and pant him with thinset on the out side.I use the shreded paper it takes up a lot of space but not to heavy.I do this with my doller store stachues (sp) to make them heaver and last longer.By the way it is looking good.

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Hey SOLTICE: Here's a link to my Rosie, my rocking horse. Page 4 is her finsihed pics...Just thought I'd share her w/U. Have fun and keep us posted on yur progress. We all do love those pics!!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosie finsihed

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rosie is beautiful! I don't think WH is going to be that detailed but I have had fun with the saddle today.

It was a great first day: I finished tiling the mane and tail and thought I would stop, but then I just had to do the little rolled up blanket behind the saddle. THEN I thought maybe I would put in a little more. I'm certain all of you understand! The heat finally got to me and I had to come in the house, but I'm really pleased with my progress.

I especially like the swirly glass pieces on the mane and tail, and the crescent moon piece I used on the forehead.

• brendak_59
    14 years ago

This is beautiful!!!! I love the blue.

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

the swirls on the mane and tail are particularly genius! great start

• wackyweeder
    14 years ago

I love that mane! That will look so cool when its grouted. Thanks for the pics, he is looking great!

• texaswild
    14 years ago

What a great start, and yes - every one of us knows how hard it is to stop when you're on a roll. And what a roll you were on - gonna be fantastic. Betcha you'll be out by daylight this morn.

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wish I could work on it today, but I don't think my boss would understand!
    "I can't come in today; I've a little horse!". LOL. Well, maybe that would work.

• katishooked
    14 years ago

This is going to be stunning. I know we sre not supposed to covet, but I do a lot of that here. LOL i too love the blue. Waiting for another update.

Kat

• emtnest
    14 years ago

Very nice... what are you using to glue them down with? It looks white... hope it's not the same stuff I used for a cinder block outside...the white bled through the grout..It was called pro something from home depot...I changed to thinset for all of my outside stuff.

• texasfern
    14 years ago

What an eyepopper!
    Thanks for the pics!
    We will definately keep and eye on this one!

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Not sure what it's called; I'll have to look and will let you know. It's the same thing I used on my wall project which is also outside. It is white. I grouted that one with a dove gray and nothing has bled through. It's survived outside in Central Florida through 2 rainy, stormy summers and 2 dry winters so I think it's OK. The wall is shaded in the morning but gets direct sun in the hottest part of the afternoon.

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

Looking real good!!!

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I got a little more done this weekend. I don't have any of the blue done on the other side (the dark side of the horse?) yet, but most of the saddle and bridle are done all around. The mirror hooves are pretty neat but I think they'll be scary to grout! Too many razor sharp edges!!!

I wasn't sure I could position the tiles to show the lines of the body, but it turned out to be pretty easy to add some definition. I've still got no idea what to do with the ears...

Kate

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

OH...OH....MY----He is lookin FINE!!!!! Yur doing a great job!!! I love it he is going to be GORGEOUS!!!! Speaking of the dark side of the horse U might eant to do him a different color on the other side and when you want a change turn him around!!! Just a thought!!! But I love him!!!! Keep those pics coming!!!

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

Looking great Soltice and I really like the mirror hoofs. You have outdone yourself so far. Hmmmm....no I do not have room for a horse..slap my face and get my attention...LOL NO NO NO...

• katishooked
    14 years ago

You are doing a wonderful job Soltice. You know I am a great fan of the Wizard Of Oz, this reminds me of the part with the horse of a different color number. Blue is definitely the right color for this pony.

• emtnest
    13 years ago

Beautiful job on Wonder Horse...

• bajablue
    9 years ago

Lovely!!!!!!

• Karen Pittenger
    8 years ago

Keep us posted please! I'ts going to be awesome!

• Beth Ann Johnson
    7 years ago

I'm just finding this lovely project on the 'net. Are there more pictures of the horse as it is progressing? I am inspired to do something like this and would love to see more! Thank you for sharing.

• MJ
    6 years ago

How do you get the horse on a pole without it sliding either up or down? Is there a way to get it to stay?

• Debbie Reamer
    5 years ago

Did you ever finish the project? I'd love to see it complete!

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design