Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flagtruck

Birdhouse gourd

flagtruck
15 years ago

Here's a WIP to whet your appetite! I am using birdhouse gourds that I grew last year. I cleaned them, washed them with bleach water, dried and then two coats of Kilz. I am using Dap acrylic kitchen and bath adhesive and GEII.(Whichever I pick up) It is going smoothly and giving me lots of practice with my keystoning. It keeps raining and keeping me indoors so I am making tiles and working on this gourd. Stay tuned for more pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Birdhouse gourd WIP

Comments (22)

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Wow! It's so cool that you grow your own substrates!
    This is going to be just beautiful! Love the design and colors and swirliness!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

OHGOODGRIEF! This makes me want to hang up my tools. CAROL: This is the prettiest gourd I've ever seen. Dang, I wish I could mosaic like that.

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You are my inspiration Slow. Don't let that broken foot slow you down...you have done a lot more beautiful pieces than I will ever think about doing.
    Thanks Cindiloo...just puttering around..I drew this out on paper and doodled with it then drew it on the gourd.

• barbfrizzell1955
    15 years ago

You just doodled that? Wow! I think your pattern and mosaicing are fantastic. I can't wait to see this finished!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Looking good Flag!!!

• scootsmom
    15 years ago

Oh Dear Lawd!!!! This is beautiful!!! The colors are fantastic and the patterns are so cool. What a wonderful project.

Ok, now where is my list of to do's.I am running out of room on it.

Allyson

• crackpotannie
    15 years ago

Flag ,you and Slow are the most amazing women I think I've ever met.Both of you are such artist and such special people,I am so proud to know and you and have you share your beautiful art with me!

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Annie, We think you are pretty great too.
    Thanks to all of you for the compliments....I appreciate them.

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Flag this is a beautiful BH. It's like having the Ritz for your fine feathered friends.

Kathy

• ladyronnie
    15 years ago

That is beautiful! DH is growing me some large gourds for martin boxes for next year. I showed him yours, and he's impressed as well :) I've only ever mosaicked a small one, posted in the past.

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Wow! You nipping skills blow me away.
    Great pattern, textures, color and on and on.
    Thanks for sharing.

• terikat_mom
    15 years ago

Wow, wow, wow! I love it! I love the designs, the colors!
    So pretty!

• katkerri
    15 years ago

just gourdjess, flag!
    such wonderful patterns!
    could you explain a little bit
    about what you mean by
    "practicing keystoning" ?
    i'm not sure what that means.
    thanks,
    k

• Louisiana_greetings
    15 years ago

great lookin B-house gourd. i love the design and colors. i have done a few, and the Carolina wrens love them. they made a family right on the back porch, behind the swing, it's fun to sit and watch them sneak around to thier house to feed the little ones.
    maybe someone could do an exchange on mosaiced gourds??bonnie

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to all of you.
    Kat- Keystoning is making your tiles go around curves without leaving a big gap on the outside of the curve. Thus you cut each tile or every other tile at an angle to make the curve. Do a google on Sonia King and her new book, I think Amazon will show you an excerpt on it and it explains it better than I can.
    Bonnie- I have some small gourds and some with a lot of shape to them, I am going to try them also. I just cleaned two huge bushel basket gourds,they will dry today and tomorrow I will work on the insides and get them cleaned out. I have a couple neat designs already worked out for them too. I work on this one inside in between doing the yard work and working in the garage on my ceramics.
    Ronnie- When I clean these two big ones, I will share some seeds with you and any on the rest of you,let me know and I will share what I have.
    This thing is fun to do and keeps me occupied, lol, like I need some more to do.

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

I'd love to take you up on sharing some of those seeds! I think even I can grow a gourd or two without screwing it up!

• curbdiver1954
    15 years ago

That is gorgeous! The swoops and circles are perfectly suited to the contours of the gourd....not to mention perfectly executed! Any bird should be proud to call it home "tweet" home...LOL!

Pat

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Wow, Flag! That keystoning is absolutely beautiful and you show well how it works. It was really fun to get this photo right after getting the link to how this is done. Wonderful! I have a whole stack of plates with that same print design you used there. I wasn't sure it'd make up on a birdhouse really well. But...Hmmmmm, inspiration! Beautiful. I can hardly wait to see your group of these gourds finished.

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cindiloo, send me your address and I will get some to you. flagtruk@flash.net

• theeggshelllady
    15 years ago

Sweet!!! this is the most beautiful gourd I've ever seen. I have a box of dried gourds. You've inspired me to try!!

• Louisiana_greetings
    15 years ago

to heck with the seeds :-) i WANT the gourds, matter of fact, i would like them already mosaiced and grouted :-)
    just kidding! i just love the design, i had to scope it out again.
    bonnie

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Oh my oh my.. how BEAU_TI_FUL!! and yes, LOVe that keystoning. You did great. I just saw your post of that and THANK you, can't wait to try it.

and since you grew the gourds yourself.. well how cool is that??

I LOVE YOUR COLORS and tess on this project!!!

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource