Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Talavera tile saga continues...

Posted by loribee2 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 15:06

Well, forget about my Talavera tile. It did not work out well for my project! The painted glaze chips off VERY easily, and the tiles themselves are quite brittle. The point of my search for 4X4 tiles as opposed to using mosaic squares was that I wanted an effect more like you see with stained glass, but with tile. I'm making a sunflower, and wanted to cut solid petal-shaped tiles. These tiles are not at all sturdy enough for that kind of nipping.

Since I don't want the expense of sending them back, I'll figure out another project to use them for, but I have to admit that was a $30 disappointment. The colors are sooo beautiful and earthy. I've instead gone to porcelain, and have found an on-line dealer who ships samples free of charge (you just pay the shipping). So it will be a while longer before I have pictures to share! :-(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Talavera tile saga continues...

Very sorry for you, LORIBEE. I hope you'll be able to salvage them for another project. There was one member here last year or maybe longer ago that painted regular tiles, and I think I remember she used them for a backsplash over her stove. Perhaps you can paint yours w/glass or porcelain paint, bake them and use them for another project.

o
RE: The Talavera tile saga continues...

Thanks slowmedown! I'll definitely find something to do with them. They cut okay if I keep it to 2X2 squares, so maybe I'll do a tabletop "quilt". I'm a newbie at concrete and mosaics, so I've got to expect a few bumps along the way, but it's the lemonade we make out of lemons that counts, right? ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here