Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help choosing grout color please!

Posted by clairedrennan (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 17, 11 at 14:54

Hi! I just stuck my first mosaic of any consequence to the wall and I really need some advice as far as grout color goes. I have both warm and cool colors as well as dark and light. I can't decide of I need to brighten the overall effect. It's a nightscape though so maybe a dark gray? I want to post a picture, how!?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help choosing grout color please!

I would love to see a picture.
I have my pics on photobucket, but there are other on line storage sites. From there, I copy the html code (by clicking on it, and a tiny sign says "copied"), then I paste it right into my message.
A way to test grout color is to put some dry grout into the cracks of a portion of your mosaic. Then vacuum and blow it out. That is how I chose the colors for this little table.
Photobucket
The warm tan looked better with the table colors than gray. I had already grouted the bird dark grey as I wanted it to look like lead.
I chose gray for a lamp I made because it had bluish pinks in it and I thought that gray complemented that better than tan.
I never use white, but I have a friend who does and her things are beautiful. Her tess tends to be light background tho.
Hope this helps,
Kathy

o

Welcome to the forum, CLAIRE: As for grout color, I got tired of worrying about what color to use, so years ago I switched to charcoal or black for everything. I'm always happy with the effects they give. CONCRETE: Be careful vacuuming your grout. I read on this forum that one artist ruined her vacuum cleaner just by vacuuming the floor. Apparently there was a little moisture inside, and the cement ruined her vacuum cleaner.

o

Welcome Claire, look forward to seeing your pictures.

Kathy-beautiful piece. Love that touch of the "dark side" with the shabby chic plates.

o

Thanks slow that is a good point. I used my little cheapo hand vacuum and emptied it right away. But I did it without really thinking about why! Nice I do the right thing by mistake occassionally. Good to do it outside too, which is probably why I had the hand vac.
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here