Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Niche WIP

texaswild
10 years ago

Next project after making Shea's birdbath. Started this yesterday afternoon and finished about noon today. Can't wait to start it. Plans now are to paint a darkish, grungy blue w/some mosaic pieces added.
Niche WIP

Comments (9)

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

That's going to look awesome!!! Gotta ask though, what do you use water putty for. I've never heard of it, but if you use it I'm sure there's a good reason!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To fill in all the imperfections of my carpentry. It's a powder you mix w/water, or for slowing down the process half milk or vinegar w/water. It gets hard quickly. While I like joint compound the water putty adheres to lots of surfaces, especially wood, and is sandable, paintable and doesn't chip.

• nanatricia
    10 years ago

That is looking good . I use that wood putty when I made little crosses and flowers and so on in candy molds.

• Calamity_J
    10 years ago

VEEERY NICE! While cleaning out my shed, I came across some nice plywood that I had hidden from Hubby(Mr. Tosseverythingout!) I don't have a scroll saw, but I do have a nice jigsaw!;-)

• texaswild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I used a jig saw and a band saw. You can do it all w/a jig saw. The nicho is almost finished - hope to post a picture of it finished today.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Think it's finished, and I can't wait to start another one, using the statue in photo.
    Nicho Finished

• Calamity_J
    10 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!!! Perfect! WOW! Love those tacks!!! And way to use all those metal items!!! Perfect paint job! And those hearts have something stamped on them?! Just Lovely, Slow! This is the best yet!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, CALAM: Yes, all the metal hardware came from my favorite hardware store near the Hacienda Mosaico - LOVE that place. I'm gonna load up as much as my weight allowance w/allow next time I go - hopefully in March, but there has been no interest in the workshop I want to take. I may go to the artist's place cuz I NEED to learn to solder. I have a gillion things I could put into Gypsy Jewelry.

The paint - I put on was Olympic paint from Lowes - Mountain Lake, then used a glaze over that. The leaves and sides of the heart were painted w/Lumiers paint. I found a great place on-line to order it - very cheap. The decoupage on the hearts is text from a Christmas card - Biblical names for Jesus - King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Immanuel, Saviour, etc. I made the paper mache cross last year and never found an appropriate place to put it until now. Started another nicho yesterday - got it all cut out, but awoke this morning w/a different idea - grooaaannn!!! No clue where my crazy brain w/take it today.

• becky_ia
    10 years ago

Love these! You are so very talented!

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia