Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mermaidmosaics

Potential WIP's ???

Mermaid
15 years ago

Ok, I want to try a bigger project. I have a very heavy solid oak mirror I bought in San Marcos, Tx many moons ago. IT is about 5' tall and has indentations/pattern, brain dead here, that might be an issue if I try it.

Do you all think it is doable, or should I just try to sink my hands into something else??

My mermaid lady who is made of resin. Could I mosaic her?? has anyone tried to mosaic on resin for outdoors?? I'm not sure it the tesserae would stay on

Any ideas folks??

Comments (8)

• terikat_mom
    15 years ago

I definitely think you can do the mirror frame. It would be awesome! Go for it! Can't wait to see it.

I don't have any info on the resin/outdoor info for you. Sorry.

• katishooked
    15 years ago

I love the mirror. It's a beautiful piece. I would say if you wanted to mosaic it, go for it. I think it's doable. I don't have an answer for the resin statue either. Sorry

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

Yes if you want to you can fill in those indentations/pattern with wood putty .It comes in a pouder .You can still follow the pattern.
    You can also do a resin piece.I have done one .What I did was pant it with thinset then I use thinset for my glue >It has heald up good .

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nana, your froggy is absolutely adorable. I'm debating on doing the mermaid, since she is really nice as she is, and I am afraid I couldn't do justice to her face, but maybe I can just do her tail..

thanks for the info on the wood putty, I can't decide what I want to tackle next.

Thanks

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

I don't see why you couldn't do the mirror. Great advice about the wood putty and, Nan, your froggy is the cutest!

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Was there a picture of the mermaid lady?
    I didn't see one.
    That is beautiful work on that frame, may I put in a suggestion?
    How about painting the entire piece, antiquing the indented work and mosaicing the outer layered edges and sides?
    Great froggy Nana.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Great project. That'll be a doozy. Cute frog NANA, and that's a great idea on the technique, TEX.

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Texas, I REALLY like your idea, because I hesitate to take this beautiful carving and bury it, even if it's for mosaics. Nanna and Cindi, I still like the idea of using putty, great idea, just not sure about for this project.

Hmm, now I have to figure out how you antique a work- I am assuming with some kind of faux painting. guess I better do some research and maybe place this a bit lower on the to do list until I figure how to make it beautiful...

Right now I am trying my hand at the mesh method, and it really has possibilities. Will take some pix tomorrow. Mosaicing a mermaid and other sea life onto a very plain beadboard utility sink that is in my mosaic room. UGHHHHHHH. way too plain for me. LOL