Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potential WIP's ???

Posted by mermaid4life (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 08 at 13:19

Ok, I want to try a bigger project. I have a very heavy solid oak mirror I bought in San Marcos, Tx many moons ago. IT is about 5' tall and has indentations/pattern, brain dead here, that might be an issue if I try it.

Do you all think it is doable, or should I just try to sink my hands into something else??

My mermaid lady who is made of resin. Could I mosaic her?? has anyone tried to mosaic on resin for outdoors?? I'm not sure it the tesserae would stay on

Any ideas folks??

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potential WIP's ???

I definitely think you can do the mirror frame. It would be awesome! Go for it! Can't wait to see it.

I don't have any info on the resin/outdoor info for you. Sorry.

o

I love the mirror. It's a beautiful piece. I would say if you wanted to mosaic it, go for it. I think it's doable. I don't have an answer for the resin statue either. Sorry

o

Yes if you want to you can fill in those indentations/pattern with wood putty .It comes in a pouder .You can still follow the pattern.
You can also do a resin piece.I have done one .What I did was pant it with thinset then I use thinset for my glue >It has heald up good .
Photobucket

o

Nana, your froggy is absolutely adorable. I'm debating on doing the mermaid, since she is really nice as she is, and I am afraid I couldn't do justice to her face, but maybe I can just do her tail..

thanks for the info on the wood putty, I can't decide what I want to tackle next.

Thanks

o

I don't see why you couldn't do the mirror. Great advice about the wood putty and, Nan, your froggy is the cutest!

o

Was there a picture of the mermaid lady?
I didn't see one.
That is beautiful work on that frame, may I put in a suggestion?
How about painting the entire piece, antiquing the indented work and mosaicing the outer layered edges and sides?
Great froggy Nana.

o

Great project. That'll be a doozy. Cute frog NANA, and that's a great idea on the technique, TEX.

o

Texas, I REALLY like your idea, because I hesitate to take this beautiful carving and bury it, even if it's for mosaics. Nanna and Cindi, I still like the idea of using putty, great idea, just not sure about for this project.

Hmm, now I have to figure out how you antique a work- I am assuming with some kind of faux painting. guess I better do some research and maybe place this a bit lower on the to do list until I figure how to make it beautiful...

Right now I am trying my hand at the mesh method, and it really has possibilities. Will take some pix tomorrow. Mosaicing a mermaid and other sea life onto a very plain beadboard utility sink that is in my mosaic room. UGHHHHHHH. way too plain for me. LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here