Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terikat_mom

newbie, my latest turtle

terikat_mom
15 years ago

Hi Everyone! I was very excited to find this forum last week. I was looking for some inspiration for some stepping stones I am going to make for our back yard and that's exactly what I found-MAJOR inspiration! You guys are awesome! I have been reading all the posts, catching myself up-so far I have read back to February. Here is a picture of my latest turltle. My DD (10 yo) designed it and picked the colors. I made it for her. I had originally grouted it in sandstone color grout but hated it, so, with your experience I painted it gold. I have also included a picture of a lamp shade I mosaiced a few years ago as I haven't seen one on the forum yet.

Comments (12)

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

WELCOME to the forum: Terikat_MOM!!!!
    Good job on the turtle and I love the lightfixture too!!! I did a wall sconce and a ceiling lightfixture and have plans for about 6 stained glass lampshades, (if I can ever pry myself away from mosaics and get back to copperfoil method stained glassing again!) I am usually the super caring one on this forum and always try to warn the newbies about mosaics and how it causes problems in your life so here is a link about the warning!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: WARNING!!!!

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Welcome, TERIKAT. Awesome turtle! Painting the grout gold was the perfect choice! Your light is cool, too! I have one just like that and now I see it HAS to be mosaiced!
    Slow recently made an

. You could look through her albums for a few days and get super inspired! Do a search on this board for seashell lampshade and you'll see Klinger's beautiful shade and Meramaid's, too! And here is a stunning lamp set made by HRSG.

CALAM, thanks for that reminder...I laughed til I cried!

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Welcome Terikat.
    Awesome turtle! I have a thing for turtles.
    Don't pay any attention to the Warning, it's TOO LATE FOR YOU MY DEAR!
    The lamp shade is wonderful
    You will get more insiration than you have time for around here.

• theeggshelllady
    15 years ago

I LOVE the lampshade!! The turtle is really pretty. I like the design on his shell. Can't wait to see more of your work.

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Terikat Welcome to our group. Like you turtle and daughters design. Love the lamp. I have been keeping my eyes out for one I can do.

Kathy

• terikat_mom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yup, it's too late for me texas. I read the WARNING posts and they already apply to me! They were so funny!
    Teri

• scootsmom
    15 years ago

Terikat, I love the turtle! He/she is adorable! And I love, love, love the lamp. I actually have a lamp like that with this ugly plain old globe. I showed your picture to my hubby, and he looked at me in terror and said" please, leave my lamp alone!!!!" I'll get it when he is out sometime tho.LOL

• silvamae
    15 years ago

Welcome!

• becky_ia
    15 years ago

Awesome work. Yup...I agree...you have been "bitten" by the bug. Once you start there is no turning back.. everything you now look at will be seen with new eyes...and nothing is safe from being turned into a "work of art. Welcome to this marvelous and talented group of artists.

Becky

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Welcome, TERI: I loved TX's response - too late. LOL. Love the turtle, and the grout color is perfect. Great idea on that torchiere. Anxious to see more of your work.

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Terikat,

Beautiful, great job. I love your turtle and the design is perfect for him. Your cuts are perfect and the gold grout!! Wozer, love him.

And I want the lampshade!! How cool is that!! Yes, dear, you have been
    "Bitten" There is NO turning back!!!

Calam, thanks for bumping that thread back!! ROFL and so so true!!!! I cannot imagine what non mosaicers think when they come across our group and talk!!!

Keep them coming terikat!!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Hi, and welcome from all of us! Your turtle is wonderful and your lamp is awesome! How fun to see some new work from a new friend. We hope to see many more!

Sponsored