Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flagtruck

Birdhouse Gourd Finished

flagtruck
15 years ago

Here it is with all the tess on it. These pics are BG (before grout) I am leaning toward white grout, whatcha' all think? I am kinda wanting the background to recede and the rest pop out. Open to suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Birdhouse gourd WIP

Comments (24)

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Oh LOVE it!!! Beige has my vote for grout!!! LOVELY!!!

• PantherFL
    15 years ago

Beige from me too, to blend with the bg tile.
    Love that design & the execution is wonderful.

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Love the design Flag. Grout? I'll leave that for the experts.

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Flag, ANother true work of art!!! Fantastic.. I think beige sounds good too

• curbdiver1954
    15 years ago

How wonderful! Your work continues to astound me with it's ever increasing creativity and combinations! Beige would make the background recede...white seems a bit "off" to me...almost like it would force the design to compete with the grout.

Pat

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will do beige. I was out in the studio looking for beige and found vanilla and golden beige, then while I had the lid up on my grout box, a glass block I had moved to my worktable fell off on my right foot and I think it broke one of my toes. Ouch! It is throbbing now, I guess ice is in order? Hope I can move tomorrow. LOL
    Thanks to all. I will try to grout tomorrow. I spent the afternoon cleaning up my studio and putting things up as I had drug a lot of tile inside to work on the gourd and then I had to put it all back where it belonged.
    I sure can make messes!

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Ouchie! Sorry about your toe, I hope it's not broke!
    The birdhouse is just beautiful and I'm looking forward to seeing it grouted! And making messes is half the fun of doing mosaics, LOL!

• Louisiana_greetings
    15 years ago

lookin great, can't wait to see it grouted. why don't you do a grout test on it, put some dry grout in different colors? i do like the idea of the beige tho.
    sorry you banged up your toe.
    bonnie

• theeggshelllady
    15 years ago

This gourd is really beautiful. It is sooo cool. I love the design, the colors. I think beige grout will work really well. Can't wait to see it grouted.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

OH NO!!! Broken Toe!! Maybe Klinger is right, I Do need to go to Texas soon to help You And Slow!!! "Go-fer Jane"! I was coming back to take another gander at your awesome design and realized you put your name and date on it! How cool!!! I'm inspired to definitely do up my bird houses!!! PLUS I want to do a group of bird baths like you did!! Luv them like that!!!

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

Oh how I LOVE that! I just love the design!!

• katkerri
    15 years ago

reeeally beautiful work!!!
    i keep going back to look at your photostream.
    those designs are seriously delightful to see.
    i hope your toe heals quickly!

• gcpommom
    15 years ago

I have been showing your beautiful birdhouse to everyone in my house! It is truly gorgeous, I just love the colors and the way your design flows around the piece. Sorry about your toe, those glass blocks are so heavy, I can't even imagine how much that must have hurt :(

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks you guys. I have been hobbling around all day with a swollen foot and black and blue toe. Hurts like ****. I tried the Vanilla Cream grout dry on the gourd and like it I just haven't got the energy to do it. I grouted outside this morning on some of the edgers. I am kinda leaning towards terra cotta color on the gourd, but figure I will go with the vanilla and then I can darken it to terra cotta if I don't like the light color.
    Calamity, you know that we need you in TX. bring Klinger too...we will have lots of fun and you will have two cripples to laugh at (with)?

• gcpommom
    15 years ago

I have a question: to the lower right side of the opening is a brown tile circle, and next to the brown tiles, are those beads (also brownish in color)?

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nope, not beads, those are some handrolled stained glass tiles that I laid with the smooth side down. I just got thru grouting this baby and had to clean those with a toothbrush. LOL. live and learn.

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Flag, I know you broke your toe so SLow wouldn't feel so bad!!

How is it doing?? I just LOVE that gourd, vanilla cream, that sure sounds yummy. Keep off those toes and mosaic something you don't have to do on your feet!!

Can't wait to see the gourd finished with grout.

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

Flagtruck....You just blow us away! Holy Crap!!!
    A gourd?......OMG! That design is unreal!! You take the cake!! and I will make it!LOL!!! What do you like?.....
    chocolate?? white...spice?......has to be spice!!LOL!
    You are a spicy chick!!LOL!!! LOVE YOUR WORK!!!!

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here it is with Vanilla Cream grout. A little dull for my taste, but I will live with it. I will seal it today and be done with it after I fish the hanging wire thru the top. Now onward and on to the next project.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gourd grouted

• curbdiver1954
    15 years ago

Very pretty with the vanilla cream grout! I think it makes the design really stand out. Was looking at your WIP's on this one. Saw that you coat the gourd in thinset...begs a couple of questions. Is the layer very thick or do you use several thin layers? What do you use to glue the top back on?

The purple martins will LOVE it next spring!

Pat

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pat - I glued the top back on with regular Elmer's wood glue, then added two coats of Kilz and one coat of thinset very thin (Paintable) I used a hole saw for the round hole. These big ones will have to sit on a pedestal as they will be too heavy to hang. This one grout and all weighs right at 4#, but the bigger ones will be more. Another option besides thinset would be Rigid Wrap plaster wrap, but I don't trust it outdoors.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info Carol! I'm so inspired!!! I'm thinkin' outside the box now, about birdhouses!!!heh heh! I love that grout color but I'm a plain jane sometimes!lol!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Oh, Wow, Flag! I have been away, as you know, and just got to see the finished gourd. It is absolutely wonderful. You could use a terracotta stain on that grout, but I think it's stunning as it is! You must be tickled pink over the way it turned out. The martin's will love their new home! Will you do the other gourds with a theme that works with this one, or will you do each one differently?

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Daisyme- I will probably doe each one differently as I can not do anything twice..it's just mot in me. The same was about my doodling and drafting a design,then transfering it to the substrate, I change it as I go anyway, don't know why I go to the trouble to draw it on initially. I keep a carosel of colored pencils and drawing pad on my coffee table and another next to my bed to capture my ideas as they come to me. Sometimes, they stay in the pad for a long time and then I do someething with them. Slow will tell you that my studio is papered with drawings of projects that I have yet to start, much less complete. lol