Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bverste

saywhatagnes' windows

bverste
13 years ago

I found an old post, with photos of your windows, when I have seen these wonderful windows, I had assumed you used safety glass as well as stained glass, so am I understanding you created the same type look with stippled caulk? Also, have you ever done this directly to a working window? I was thinking my bathroom window.

Comments (3)

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

took a look at the old post.....WOW never knew an old window could have so much class! I have worked a little bit with GEII it doesn't seem to get "hard" how does it weather and age? Does dirt and other elements stick to it? Can it be simply hosed off to freshen it up. OR am I using the wrong kind of GEII. I love the look it gives and seems like it can be done with as much or as little glass as one chooses to use. Any help appreciated.

• wackyweeder
    13 years ago

Silicone caulks for outside whether GE11 or whatever stay flexible after curing which is part of their value-the glue wont crack and let the object fall off. It holds up exceptionally well outdoors and no dirt etc doesnt stick to it. You want the windows and doors type. there are also other excellent products like DAP-another silcone caulk that goes on white and dries to clear so you can see that you have good glue coverage, and Lexel a silicone caulk that is crystal clear not sl cloudy like geII. I love silicone personally. with smaller, I mean crumb size pieces it gets a bit tricky but for everything else I love it. I have also used it to fix shoe soles, glue on purse straps, etc very tough and durable.

• wackyweeder
    13 years ago

Ahh, ok I found the thread you were talking about. Isee what she has done....I dont know If I would do what she did or how well that would hold up. Those large areas of caulk like that. Normally you would of course use the caulk to glue the glass down and then grout over it. the GEII will/can be peeled or pulled off, one of the advantages in using it as you can remove areas of work that you dont like, but under grout its permanent. It might be fine if not exposed to handling or bumps, but a safer better way would be to use tempered glass in those areas. I thought from looking this is what she had done. Tempered glass or safety glass is what is in the side windows of cars, shower doors etc that shatters into small rounded pieces.
    Epoxy resin would be another alternative but it yellows with exposure to sunlight. there are also clear stained glasses with different textures that could be used.

Sponsored