Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdunkin_gw

Need ideas for mosaic piece for garden area

mdunkin
16 years ago

I am fresh out of ideas, a little less time on my hands due to my indoor projects that are lining up. What else can one mosaic for the yard, garden or patio that isn't a planter? I have many of those already, enough birdbaths, etc. Knowing that mosaic and wood don't blend, it leaves my brain blank, not being able to think of what I can do next. Already have a garden sign, enough pavers, stepping stones.

Any ideas?

Comments (18)

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

How about a BB gazing ball, or find some type of animal to mosaic. Or get concrete blocks to stack and make a column and mosaic those. Here's a couple I did.

Barb

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Mushrooms are easy... a bowl and a bud vase together

Maria

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Just did another gazing ball pedestal buy can't post pic's for another week...stay tuned for the idea LOL..Annie

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

I second the bowling ball idea!

Here is a link that might be useful: garden orbs

• mdunkin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am a little lazy to do balls right now, even though they are gorgeous, but I DO love those columns Barb, especially how you positioned them at the brick wall. Absolutely love them!!!

I do have cynderblock, but not sure how many. Any other column ideas? I mean, what else I can use for flat surface columns?

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

You can buy concrete gazing ball pedestals at a concrete statuary place for about 30.00 ,they have a hole for glass gazing ball

's if your not up to aBB right now.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Msg 2,sorry my picture went over my msg but you can see what I mean Annie

• mdunkin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

crackpotannie, I love the ball you have, kind of like you can see the world behind you, or in front of you. I have regular glass balls in the garden, some are crackle type others are on a stake. I like the clear ball look. Not into BB's right now, but I would like to find a pedestal like you have in order to mosaic.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

I have gotten some of the glass balls at Hobby lobby which are really cheap right now on sale for 6.00,they are a little smaller than this one pictured.If you have a place that sells statuary they can order you the pedestal....Annie this ball is not clear but reflective like a xmas ornament ,like a mirror.........

• zone_envy
    16 years ago

What about the scalloped cement garden edging? I'm sure someone here posted pics, but I can't remember who. Maybe birdhouses? That's going to be my next project, I think.
    Also look at Slowmedown's pedestals for inspiration - they're just beautiful! Think she used chimney flues for the base. Maybe she can chime in with more info...Slow where are ya?

Cindy

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Have had company since Friday until about 30 min. ago, so have been catching up here - gotta go outside and water so no time to chat, but here is a link to my albums. Have used the 4'tall X 12" diameter cardboard tubes made for columns, sold at Lowes, a cedar pedestal about 4 1/2' tall X 4" W, 13" X 13" W X 12" tall terra cotta flue tiles from a brick company and concrete blocks.
    My albums

• seaglassic
    16 years ago

my suggestion for an outside project is to get a piece of wood, about a medium window size..
    cut it in rounded or curved lines and keep a place for a mirror in it.

mosaic it, all around the edges, with the mirror in there, off center.
    then, allowing enough room to paint something..paint a coffee or tea pot, with a couple of cups....
    and that can be your barista sign for a small secluded area, as a little get-away from yard work, or busy parts of the yard.
    I suggest that, because that's exactly where I would like to be sitting today..I'm in the doldrums and really wish that I had some place, just like that.

Becky .(*_*).

• doone
    16 years ago

Here are some ideas.

• crystal01
    16 years ago

doone! Your edgers turned out beautiful!!

• doone
    16 years ago

Oh! These aren't mine! Can't take the credit!

• Cj7girl
    10 years ago

Here's a bowling ball . . . used waterproof silicone on the glass beads and sanded grout . . . if you're using light colored glass, I'd suggest priming the ball.

Barb -- LOVE the columns you made with the cement blocks -- how did you attach the tiles? Thanks

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

Nice gazing ball Cj7girl!

I used thinset to attach the plate shards and glass to the cement blocks and then grouted with thinset too because I used too much attaching the pieces and it squished up around the pieces.

• Calamity_J
    10 years ago

Cj7girl! Love the garden orb! Good job!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction