Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbfrizzell1955

Dictionary Stand

barbfrizzell1955
15 years ago

I made this for my friend who is a lower elementary teacher currently searching for a job.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (23)

• sereneseen
    15 years ago

Crafty lady, that is absolutely wonderful. A great idea for a teacher. Love the use of the scrabble letters and your color choices. All I can say is wow and so cool!

This gives me an idea for an old wooden school house desk I have in my living room.

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Oh, Ms. Crafty, that is absolutely wonderful. I love the diamond shapes. Does he/she know you made it for them? Aren't they thrilled? I know I would be! Great job.

• gcpommom
    15 years ago

As a teacher (in the same situation), I know your friend will absolutely love this! It is beautiful, and the sayings you put on it are perfect! Wow! Here's hoping that your friend finds a teaching position very soon, and can put this to good use :)

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

This is just beautiful and quite unique. I wouldn't mind this being in my house..not the school room. How thoughtful of you to make it for her.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS, CRAFTY: Soooooooo beautiful. Been a long time since I even SAW a piece of furniture for the dictionary. How truly wonderful. LOVE what you did to it. Who WOULDN'T love a gift such as this. Like FLAG, I'd be thrilled to have this piece in my house. What a thoughtful thing to do for a friend!

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Very, very nice! Love it all, especially those perfect diamond legs!

• texasfern
    15 years ago

That is an eyepopper! How in the world do you get that clean cut?

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Wow crafty!! I want one , I do i do. I'm a former librarian, and I know all of us , as well as teachers, would LOVE to have that at home.

The mosaicing with the wording tiles and colorful tiles, just makes you want to keep on learning, and researching..

Fantastic job CRAFTY!!! That is so cool!!! You've got one very lucky friend who will surely be inspired and have good luck when she gets this.

• barbfrizzell1955
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This was a labor of love for my best friend (for over 18 years) and I used the Scrabble tiles because we enjoy playing Scrabble together. I was going to wait until our Scrabble game Sunday night to present it to her but I couldn't wait so I gave it to her tonight. She absolutely loved it so much. It brought tears to her eyes (several times) and she said I touched her heart. How cool is that! She just couldn't stop talking about it, and touching it. I just knew she would appreciate all the work and love I put into it.

Sereneseen...I'm glad I inspired you. Don't forget to post a picture of what you do with it.

gcpommom...I hope you are able to find a teaching job this fall. My friend is hoping to find something but if she can't she will substitute teach for another year.

texasfern, I used the Morton cutting system to cut the diamonds.

Daisy, Flag, Slow, Cindiloo and Mermaid...thank you everyone for your wonderful comments. I feel honored that so many of you would want to display this in your home!

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

What a wonderful piece of meaningful art! Love it!

• trancegemini_wa
    15 years ago

what a wonderful piece of art, so well done, it's just lovely!

• scootsmom
    15 years ago

Oh wow. This is simply amazing! I just keep going back to look at it. What a lucky, lucky friend. You are so talented.

• katkerri
    15 years ago

that's SUCH a beautiful dictionary stand crafty !!!
    i admire that elegant precision and what great colors !

• ladyronnie
    15 years ago

BARB!!! That is simply beautiful! I wish I had a house big enough to PUT it in! LOL And then I would love to do so also :)

• barbfrizzell1955
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I received a thank you note from her today in the mail that made me cry! One of the things she said was that she couldn't wait until she finds a job so she can make it the focal point of her classroom. I knew she would like it when I gave it to her but I never dreamed she would love it as much as she does.

Thank you lovesmosaics, trancegemini, scootsmom, katkerri and Roni for your wonderful comments. It makes me feel great that so many people liked this as much as she did.

• theeggshelllady
    15 years ago

You have a lucky friend!!! What a beautiful piece. I love the diamond legs. You are very talented.

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

OH! Her reaction was so wonderful!
    Bless you! What a wonderful friend you are!
    So happy it was received like that...It is such an awesome piece of art. I saved and printed it out. Had to show people! You are a wonderful woman!...and an awesome artist!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

I thought I had commented on this but I haven't yet. I have only been back a few days and already am on the look out for a little stand like this!!! You did a VERY inspiring job!!! I am always getting out the dictionary...is it i before e or visaversa?????

• barbfrizzell1955
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome back and thanks Jane! I got this from my neighbor for free...I have her trained now so she doesn't throw anything out in the trash until she checks with me first to see if I can use it or not. I have gotten a lot of great stuff from her too. I never know when we leave the house and come home if something new will be left on my porch. LOL Good luck finding that table for your dictionary!!!!

• curbdiver1954
    15 years ago

Thought I'd commented also.... can't believe I didn't. Your work continues to amaze me! The colors, use of letters and those perfect diamonds!!!! Drool!

Pat

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Sheesh! I had to look up two words just in the last two days!!! Somebody is telling me I NEED to do one of these!!!!! LOL!

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

What a beautiful job!! Such a special gift, I'm sure she will cherish it always.

• becky_ia
    15 years ago

I would love to have this in my house! Great piece of work and so very colorful. Will look awesome in any classroom.

Becky

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!