Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mosaic clawfoot tub?

Posted by gardenitis (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 18, 10 at 11:11

I am a first time poster on this forum, but a long time lurker and learner.

I have an old cast iron clawfoot bath tub. I was hoping to mosaic around the outside of it and use it as a feature planting bed in my garden. It would have to stay out in the elements during our Canadian winter (temps dip to about -20 degrees celcius with lots of freezing/thawing cycles).

So my question is - Is this do-able? Would I have to use special tiles, adhesive, grout, etc? Any special preparation to the surface before tiling?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gardenitis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mosaic clawfoot tub?

IMO, it is VERY doable. If I were doing this project, I'd give the tub a thorough cleaning/sanding, then I'd use thinset w/a polymer admixture for the adhesive. In some climates porcelain is suggested for your purposes. Check w/your local tile store. If I were in your place, I'd use the thinset also for grout. Be sure and post pictures of your WIPs.

o

YES! Very doable! I go to a tile store(specialty, not Home depot) and get some outdoor> mortar, sealer, grout, maybe ask them if they think if diamond lath would help build up the base? And I would use porceline, slate, rock, glass, as I have been here on Vancouver Island BC, and have found thru trial and error, that these are the precautions I use now for long term success with our weather.

o

Thanks so much for your thoughts Calamity and Slowmedown...I'm going to hunt down the materials and start it this spring. I'll post photos when I get going.

Again, I really appreciate your advice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here