Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grouting questions

Posted by crazymosaics (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 08 at 11:10

Hello,

I have a question on grouting on glass, do I just use regular grout or do I need to add something to the grout?
Both projects are using broken pieces of stained glass glued to antoehr piece of glass.

Also, what color grout should I use for the lighthouse picture and the vase? this will only be my second time grouting and I want to make sure to do them right:

I didn't know if I should do black grout for both or dark grey. I want the lighthouse and butterflies to stand out.
Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grouting questions

I don't like giving grout color advise, that is such a personal choice, but since the lighthouse looks like it has been grouted with a dark color in the pic, I would go with the black, with maybe grey for the sky.
I would suggest sanded grout.

o

Amen to what TX says - I, personally, like dark charcoal. I agree w/TX on the background on your lighthouse showing how well the black is. The liquid charcoal at Lowes for coloring concrete is so dark it's almost black, and that's what I'm using lately on everything, when I don't have black. This w/probably be the one I use on everything in the future. All that to say this: You get to choose. If you don't like it afterwards, there's the good ole acrylic paints in many colors. You can change it as many times as you like.

o

I agree about the charcoal (sanded) grout for the lighthouse pic. I think I would go lighter for the butterfly vase...a light gray usually works with just about anything! Grout color is such a tough thing to call...

o

An Idea for glass on glass stuff...
I have only done a few, and I wish this worked for everything..I have ton's of fabric, and I lay my pieces on different colors to help me decide. I wish it was that easy on everything! Before I thought of the material, I would paint the back side with craft paint first, and then scrape it off with a razor blade ( come's off like butter) Hope that helps!

o

What a wonderful idea, LOVE. That's a great tip.

o

Thanks Lovemosaics, that's a great idea!! I would have never thought to use fabric but I'm going to JoAnn's this weekend :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here