Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suwannee River Mosaic....just starting

Posted by floridagirl_mosaic (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 7, 09 at 10:51

Good morning everyone! About 8 years ago I made a University of Florida Gator mosaic for my husband. That was my first and only mosaic. After a recent trip to North Florida I took a piture of an old bridge on the Suwannee River. Both of my inlaws love taking the boat up the river to look at that bridge...so i thought i would make a mosaic to give them as a gift. If i start now I should finish by christmas :) For the past few days I've gone out and bought ceramic/porcelin tiles from Home Depot and Lowes. I also purhcased a Brutus Tile Nipper...if someone knows of a better brand let me know. I still have the receipt to take it back!
The problem I'm having is what to apply it to. Should i use plywood or cement board? Do you think the weight from the tiles, board, grout, etc....will stay on the wall? If you were making a wall mosaic how would YOU do it? I'd like to get started today laying out the design...all you have to do is give me a little advise :) Here's a picture of the bridge. I will post pics along the way. If I'm brave enough i might even post a pic of the first mosaic :) thanks Jen

[IMG]http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss353/jpagliai/jenspalm084.jpg[/IMG]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suwannee River Mosaic....just starting

Hi Jen and welcome. I believe the best nippers made for sale are Starrett Nippers and I hear someone on ebay is offering them for sale. The normal price is aroung $70 but most of us use Lepponties. I am not sure if that is spelled right. They won't be available locally either, They are wheeled nippers and great on glass, china etc. You can get them from an online supplier. If your river mosaic is for inside there is a product called Wendi board that is lightweight and comes with a hanging system. Go check it out at www.marylandmosaics.com and if you order use gardenweb in the coupon box and get a 10% discount. She has a lot of good stuff there, she may even have the nippers and her shipping is fast and customer service is the greatest. If you don't go with the Wendiboard, you can get Hardibacker board which is at Lowes usually at the end of the tile or grout aisle. This board is made to apply tile to like in showers but a lot of us use it for everything. I can't tell you how to figure out how to hang it though. Maybe someone else on here can do that.
Good luck and keep us posted. Carol

o

Thanks for the advice. Looking on marylandmosaics right now :) I found the Leponitt nippers there. The Wendiboard board looks perfect just not big enough. I will go to Lowes later and look for the other. Thanks again

o

Hi Floridagirl!! You might want to check out a tile store, they usually have hardibacker board, which is what they use to make subfloors/walls for tiling. I hope you keep us up to date with work in progress(WIP)pics!!! have fun!

o

Whatever you choose, take my advice and figure out the hanger and put it on BEFORE you do your piece. there are many ways to hang a heavy piece but its too late after you have glassed or it will be ruined. wedi has special hanger screw thingys that are applied before you start to work. If its really huge, or really heavy a french cleat may be needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here