Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linlee_gw

GOG Glue Test Results....so far

LinLee
16 years ago

Okay then, I made a GOG test using GEII, Weldbond & MacGlue.

The test was started last Thursday and it's been raining

ever since...so needless to say a tad bit humid.

This was the setup:

Fresh GEII:

Fresh Weldbond:

Fresh MAC:

Comments (58)

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

HOLY CROW BATMAN! 10 $ for 8oz ! OMG! don't look for me to buy that any time soon.

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

............... or only $130 a gallon !!!

Such a deal !!

LOL

• LinLee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

More info:

I paid:
    Mac - $25.50 for 2 8oz. bottles from the Mac site. ($10 per 8oz)
    Weldbond - $4.99 for 8oz. @ Local store
    GEII - $3.44 for 2.8oz @ Local Big Box Store

GEII Pro's: The silicone has leveling ability
    Easy to use
    Holds very well and fairly quickly to vertical surfaces
    Easy to remove already stuck pieces
    Easy cleanup with a blade
    Can be used for outdoor pieces
    Can be purchased locally
    You feel really good after about an hour in a closed room

GEII Con's: Fairly pricey because of the amount you use
    Does not dry crystal clear
    Tends to change color after awhile
    You need denatured alcohol to really clean off residue
    Possible loss of brain cells in an inclosed room

Weldbond Pro's: Not too pricey
    No real learning curve as it applies just like Elmer's,
    Cleans up with water
    Very good hold

Weldbond Con's: Not as easy to find locally
    Shouldn't be used for outdoor projects
    No immediate vertical hold
    Drying can take a very long time

Mac Pro's: Dry/hold time is fairly quick tho not as fast as GEII
    Strong hold
    Clear on application
    Edges cleaned up well with exacto knife
    At this point it looks to be the clearest
    (Jury's still out on this)
    Cost effective as very little adhesive is used as it is just a tad thicker than water

Mac Con's: Internet sales only at this time Email from owner said that they are working on retail store sales
    No immediate vertical hold
    Indoor pieces only

After the Welbond finally dries I will do a bleed test.
    Linlee

• LinLee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I didn't see this until after I posted...Yes the Mac
    can be considered pricey, however if it does turn out to be the best GOG adhesive the price would be inconsequential as you use so very little of it compared to the quantities used of GEII.

Oz per oz...
    GEII ends up being $1.23 per oz.
    Mac ends up being $1.25 per oz.
    You will use more GEII on 1 piece of glass than you will
    Mac. So the Mac, if you so choose, is actually a more cost effective product.

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

Linlee - You are the best !!!

It's people like you that make this forum as good as it is !!! *big smile*
    Thanks for all your work . ( I'm sure I speak for everyone !)

I never knew GE II had a "pro" version ....... I just might have to go out and " get happy " too - I mean buy some .....*snicker * !!!

Anyway --- you are a gem . Thanks for all the info you posted .

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

Here's a CON of Mac not listed. Once it's dry, it's almost impossible to get off - of ANYTHING. It's not like Weldbond where it can be re-wetted and removed, or in some cases just scraped off. It's ON - for good.

If you're a tidy mosaicer, not a problem. If you're like me and have glue all over, its a BIG con. I made some coasters with scraps and Mac glue and I'm impressed by the clarity (before grouting - I haven't gotten there yet).

I don't know that I would use it on my glass-on-glass windows, though. Even with it's superior clarity the "not being able to rub it off" is a drawback for me. I tend to squirt glue into an area on which I'm working and then place the glass. If I don't or can't place all the glass before the glue dries, I want to be able to easily remove the dried glue and begin again where I left off. Not being able to do that makes MAC iffy for me in a GOG circumstance.

And on a side note, am I the ONLY one here who cannot smell the silicone? I find it has NO fumes. . . or does that mean I'm now so overwhelmed by them that my brain no longer registers smelling them??

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

And I sent the above before mentioning one more thing . . .

There is talk (somehwere on the internet and I cant recall where) about using alcohol to speed the drying time of Weldbond.

The theory is that you glue down some glass (or whatever), dribble in a little alcohol (rubbing, not sipping) between the pieces, wait a few minutes and soak up what remains.

Darn, I wish I could remember where I read the instructions for this process.

Hmmm . . maybe the silcone IS really getting to me . . .

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

Well - this might not be for me - if I have to be "neat" ....... LOL .... I'm glad you posted . I'm thinking from your post that it is soooooo good - that I can glue totems together with it ? ( If I"m neat ) Think it would work ? Maybe even make a waterproof seal ?

( ........ even if the seal is waterproof - would condensation still take place ??? ) Decisions,decisions ~~~

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

It's water-based cleanup so I wouldn't use it outdoors. Indoor totems?

Make a small test totem and set it outside for us to watch. Too bad you didn't do it last week - we could have watched it float away in the rains!

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

A little googling brought this to light about alcohol and Weldbond:

http://franktross.com/weld_glass.asp

http://www.oddlyenoughmosaics.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=142

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

That makes sense - Weldbond takes air to dry it . Alcohol will evaporate it sooner . I made a couple GOG that I did with Weldbond -- I had BIG pieces with glue on the back -- that was 6 months ago - I don't think it is still dry :(

• hrsg
    16 years ago

Dang Linlee! Thank you for doing all this work for us.

For me I just want something that is not hard to clean up, is not quite so toxic, and holds well.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

The site for MAC says it can be used outdoors as it is weatherproof. Wholesale it is $80. gal.

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

Hey - I can buy Wholesale too ! I have a valid seller's permit ! Never thought of it ! WIsh I could buy a gallon wholesale & split it up .......... *sigh*

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

$80. a gal for GLUE??
    I'm pullin' for the Weldbond. I can be patient..(and cheap)!

• ba1je
    16 years ago

i did a birdbath using weldbond (before i read all the indoor only comments) its been outside for a year and a half now and still holding up. this is in florida with endless humidity. go figure!!!...barb

• LinLee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If there's a test on this stuff that I'm missing let me know...sure I can't possibly think of everything.

After the Weldbond dries there will be a bleed test with colored water I'm thinking...not soaked in it, but just enough to see what edges didn't attach well.

After that I'll have it soak in water to see when some of the glue fails.
    Already know for a fact that it doesn't take much time
    in a waterbath for Weldbond to release. I had stuck some tiles to glass that I changed my mind about a couple months later, thoroughly dried, and they slid off in no time at all.

I too will be curious about the Mac as the website does indeed
    say "weather-resistant" but not "proof". Once grouted and sealed it may take a long time soaking to release.

I don't have any personal glue alliance...just would love to find a product for GOG I can stick with (pun intended :0)
    Linlee

• LinLee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was just re-reading the Mac site which states that
    the glue is "water resistant"...which usually means
    that it will eventually break down if wet.

However the bottle itself clearly states "waterporoof"

The site also says that Mac is a marine adhesive and can be used to bond carpets in boats.

Hope I'm not boring everyone to death ;o)

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Linlee, thanks for taking on this challenge and sharing it with us. This is great info for al of us.

I believe I've read for Weldbond, the glue should only be put on the outer edges of the glass and void in the center. Thie permits it to dry easier.

ba1je, I still use Weldbond on my terra cotta trays, after I grout I seal them with a concrete sealer and have not had a problem yet and I've made several of them! I have one outside for 2 years AND I live in florida too.

MW, I don't always smell GE II but I do get headaches when I've bent over and used it for hours. I usually use GEII for repairs when I'm grouting. I haven't used it for glueing a big project in quite a while now.

Calam, I use E6000 for some things such as when I'm in a rush and don't want to wait for Weldbond to dry or for repairs. I almost exclusivley use E6000 when I glue on glass nuggets because it holds the weight better than Weldbond. I don't have a problem with it clouding or leaving bubbles but have not done a GOG test.

I'm curious about how Lexel and E6000 would test on GOG.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

This topic is so great!!! Thanks for doing this Linlee and everyone else for their valued comments!!! Jane

• seaglassic
    16 years ago

now I'm double curious..
    and I'm going to ask my son, who does fiberglass repairs on boats.
    it seems logical, that there would be an adhesive that should be available, that is used for marine repairs, available in smaller quantities.
    but I know..the snag would be if it's clear or not.

I think I asked him something to this effect once before but I can't remember what he and I talked about.
    then again, for some projects, it wouldn't matter.

Becky .(*_*).

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

For the record, Weldbond's own paperwork claims it to be an outdoor adhesive.

And I'm with wench, I don't smell GEII either and no one in my house complains of it.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Thanks for all your work on this!!

Maria

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

THANK YOU Nicethyme - I thought I was the only one!

• LinLee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's my last update on the mini glue experiment.
    I'll leave the 527, Lexel (?) glue test to the next
    person.

After the glues finally dried, actually 1 glue, the Weldbond took forever. I plunged the test into water for a total of 3 days.

The SiliconeII looked the same coming out as it did going in...kinda murky with bubbles. Of course it was still as removable as always using a blade. Also note that this is the only one of the three that can be used for leveling.

The Weldbond pretty much slid off of the glass at about 3 hours into the water bath. But note that when it actually dried it was very clear.

The Mac dried fast and clear. That milky haze eventually went away. At the 3 hour mark the edges of the glue that were squished out of the test piece did start to get a milky edge. At this point it was really easy to pull this overflow off with my finger nail. But even after the 3 day mark I couldn't pry that thing off without fear of shattering the test plate.

I'm kinda sold on the Mac so far...

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

The Weldbond website recommends these instructions for doing a GOG.
    Maybe that's why it took so long to dry?

Here is a link that might be useful: Weldbond for GOG

• very_vintage
    16 years ago

I totally loved reading this, I feel like Im not the only one out there searching for the perfect GOG glue! I had a giggle at some of your comments as I have heard myself thinking similar things before!!!!!!!

Can't one of us invent a perfect GOG glue? hehe :)

Renee xxx

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

I have changed my tune about Mac glue. I really really really like it. Outstanding clarity. And I got two bottles for Christmas!

I used it for part of my last window and am using it exclusively on my current gog window. I've "cleaned up" my application techniques a bit and that seems to help. I've also discovered that acetone is Mac solvent. So when I need to clean up I can pull out the nail polish remover (and aren't those fumes fun? Wheeeee!)

Thanks for reviving this thread.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Thanks Wench glad to know guess I'll order some to try.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Now I am re-interested in trying this stuff out, this MAC glue. Will be talking to Klinger about this....

• yell_rose
    16 years ago

I too am looking for the perfect GOG glue, especially for large pieces of glass. I'm experimenting with mod podge. It brushes on like elmers, runs about $1 for 2oz, and it holds tight. One piece has matt and the other is gloss. Matt is still hazy after a week. The gloss dried clear immediately. I'll soak it in water this morning and let you know how it does. For those of you that use GEII, how long did it take for a color change? I've been using '100% silicone', it's cheaper and the salesman said it was the same. It dries crystal clear. And I don't find as many air bubbles in it as what I see in this experiment. When I press the glass together, I rock it, allowing the air to go out the side. I'm wondering if there is a difference in the product or the technique? Any ideas?
    {{!gwi}}

• curbdiver1954
    16 years ago

That 100% silicone phrase still has me baffled. Looking at the shelves in HD, ALL of the tubes are labeled 100% silicone...so WHAT is the difference between the products? Granted I have lost a few of my math skills over the years, but if something is 100% xyz, there isn't any numerical or physical room for anything else. So-o-o-o back to the question - why is some 100% silicone suitable for aquariums, other 100% suitable for windows and doors, others for bathrooms and kitchens, etc.

Pat

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

Good info on that modge-podge gloss. I probably will still go with the MAC for my bathroom project (with all that steam & stuff), but this is good to know for other less-humid applications.

• yell_rose
    16 years ago

I certainly wouldn't try anything new (glue)on a bathroom project! You want to do it only once, and have it stay. I'm confused on the silicone also. Is EGII 100% silicone? Maybe it's all interchangable, and they package it to appear that we need to purchase different products for different applications - more $$$$?

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

I have heard bad things about Mac and humidity. I remember reading (on another mosaic forum upon which I lurk) that someone used Mac in a humid environment and it never cured. Perhaps if you work outside the bath and when fully dry install whatever it is you're going to do, it would work better? It IS after all, still a water based adhesive until fully cured.

• very_vintage
    16 years ago

Im in the process of ordering some mac from the U.S, costing me heaps in shipping but I am busting to try it!!!!!

• very_vintage
    16 years ago

Oh,
    Forgot to thank bamasusanna for posting the correct procedure for weldbond with gog, tried it and it works! OMG the glue actually dried fast! Haven't grouted yet so don't know if it will bleed? Im hoping not!!!

• Dottie B.
    15 years ago

Bump

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

bump for spage1

• bluestarrgallery
    15 years ago

I have glass totems I glued with GE II outdoors 4 years ago and they are still holding.

linlee, what a scientific test - thnx

• LinLee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No problem :)

• spage1
    15 years ago

mmqchdygg, thanks for the bump and thanks to everyone else for the wonderful info. I am a rookie at this and want to make some GOG totems for my garden. I am looking for a good strong, waterproof glue and it seems as tho MAC may be just what I need. Thanks again

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

bump for Marlene

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

been a couple weeks, but bumping for Dave...

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

Davo...you there?

• meadel
    15 years ago

bumping again

• robin_ssi
    15 years ago

d3bbi is correct. When gluing glass to glass with Weldbond you should put it on the outside edges only, leaving a small air pocket in the middle. The air pocket helps the water evaporate which is how the glue dries. Weldbond can most definitely be used for outside projects. I've used it on garden tables and birdbaths with great success for many years.

• bearbubbacowboy
    15 years ago

THANK U so much...what a great thing to do!!!!!!! Please tell the MAC site.....I want to check it out!!! I live in Alaska and would really like to do a test here...I'd like to make projects and leave them out........I'm told that I should be able to...I'll let you know how the tests go..Cathy

• leafaholic
    14 years ago

Bump

• wackyweeder
    13 years ago

Bump!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!