Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasfern

Finished Mirror and Sconces, Calamity!

texasfern
14 years ago

I just resined them yesterday Calamity, and I was going to wait to get better pictures but I still haven't gotten my camera back from my son.

Working with this resin is very intense for me, I am still worn out! I masking taped the things until I was blue in the face, but it was worth it. The tape came off and no drippy mess with the resin.

These are a couple wraps I was messin with. I like these. Will do more of them. I overestimated the amount of resin, had a bit left over and had to toss it. That was soooo difficult for me as I am so very cheap. Next time I will have some back up projects ready to use up the extras.

Comments (8)

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Tex they are all so beautiful!!! What kind of resin do U use? And is there a resin for outdoors??? How hard to use is it??? I have a piece I might want to resin.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Good job!!! Love the whole resin idea!!! I know it's been around for a while, but WOW! You do it up real good!!!! I'm gonna keep that extra resin thing in mind if I ever do it, so I don't waste any of that resin goodness!!!lol!

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

Tex, that turned out gorgeous. I love the design and color choice and that resin makes it really POP in color. I am always worn out when I resin too. Most of the time I have some sorta work to do because of the resin. Twice I had the piece actually stick to the work board. ROFL but I wasn't laughing them. what a mess. . Though my last sign for my sis worked perfectly. and when it works I LOVE the look, just like your piece.
    Mind telling us how you did it, sounds like lots of taping but take us on a step by step.
    thanks

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Oh, there's those charmin' pieces again. I LOVE how they turned out. Somewhere I saw you wrap gems w/clay, and I'm still trying to find them. I've had those in my mind ever since I got back and saw them. One more thing that has me going past crazy - I wanna try those. Possibilities are endless. 'course, I'm on an outside garden art kick right now, and not doing inside mosaics. Hope something doesn't push these ideas of yours I wanna try outta line. Beautiful work, TX.

• texasfern
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks you guys.
    Sorry it has taken me so long to get back here. I have no idea why.
    I have one more mirror like this one, but I can't seem to get a picture of what to do with it.
    May go shabby chic.
    Cathy, I use that Enviro Tex you can find at Michaels. I did find it at a better price online tho. As far as outdoors, I am not sure what to use. Seems like someone here has discussed it.
    It is not that it is hard to use, you just have to use small amounts at a time, and I just get tense for some reason.
    Linda as far as instructions go, I just painted the substrate, glued the stuff on, and masking taped it like there was no tomorrow. Poured the resin on, moved it around with a popsicle stick, took one of those long bic lighter things to it to get out the air bubbles and left it alone for 6 hours.
    You do want to set a box or something over it to keep the dust and in my case dog hair (who said rotties don't shed?) from it.
    I set my things on a rack so that if some resin, and it always does, drips it is not a problem.
    Be sure you tape enough of the bottom of the piece so that it won't run around the edge to the back. I have heard of using modeling clay snakes around the edges too to make a barrier. I haven't tried this yet but I will. Seems like a waste tho cuz I would think you couldn't use the clay again, but it would be way less time consuming to say nothing of easier. I am just so cheap.
    Whew, well I hope this helps.
    Thanks you guys.

• kraftkrazy
    14 years ago

i buy the envirotex resin from michaels,, but never ever buy it without a coupon,, that makes it more affordable. someone on the other forum posted this link, i have printed the coupons and they work at my michaels

http://dealspl.us/michaels-coupons

• cindywe
    11 years ago

I poured envirotex resin on my outdoor mosaic table, now I see it is not recommended for outdoor use. I wonder what will happen, will it crack from the sun exposure?

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

its definitely going to yellow and cloud up with UV exposure

Sponsored