Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
repair starburst crack in window glass?

Posted by shadygrove (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 7:52

I have a one-inch starburst crack in one of my house windows, which I recently inflicted when weed-eater met gravel. Its in an outer pane of a double-paned fixed window. I know that I may very well have shattered the integrity of the seal between the panes, but I'd like to simply try any product, if one exists, to fill in the starburst a little and, ideally, keep the break from spreading.

I'm okay with less than perfect results--if I could get it to look as good as a repaired ping on a car windshield, I'd be happy.

Any of you glass experts able to recommend a product I might try? A glass epoxy?

The professional window folks I've spoken with thus far really just want to sell me a new window--which would unfortunately mean all new windows, since these were a basic model, no longer made, of twenty-five years ago. Profoundly goes against my DYI soul at this point.

The Web is full of suggested products, most of them for car windshield repair, which doesn't appear to be the same thing, and I would value an expert opinion.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: repair starburst crack in window glass?

I think as a general rule, we are waaaay better at breaking than repairing, LOL. The car windshield repair would be my first thought.

o
RE: repair starburst crack in window glass?

You can get the windshield repair kits at auto stores (like auto zone) my son tried to repair mine but since the hole hadn't gone all the way through he needed a tiny drill bit. I'd try crazy glue. What I have done in the attic is take E600 and glue a piece right over the hole/crack.
Might be a good time to do a clear g on g mosaic :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here