Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Turn tables

Posted by katishooked (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 29, 08 at 7:01

Many of you saw my palm tree lazy susan. I have ordered the turn table bearings to make my own. Can any give me some insight in using a glass microwave plate glued to the bearings. My place is real small and am trying to find something that I can mosaic for gifts etc. that isn't too huge to store for a bit. I still have to check out HL, Micheals and HD for ideas. I think if I use GEII to glue the 2 together this would work. OK folks let me know your thots. Thanks Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Turn tables

Don't know for sure about using GEII as an adhesive with these 2 substrates. First it's got a little "give" even when fully cured and that "give" might make the turntable less sturdy. My experience with GEII on metal is a little less than favorable as well....it doesn't grab well enough and is easy to peel apart/off the metal surface. My first thought is to use 2-part epoxy (available at any hardware store). The kind I have had good luck with comes in tubes that are attached to the same plunger so the amounts are evenly extruded. I just mix them together with a toothpick on a disposable plate, smear it where I want it and let it cure. There is a 5-minute cure version and a 24-hr cure version that IMHO provides a much stronger bond.

Where did you order the turntable tracks? I've looked all over the place for a local source, but no luck.

Pat

o

Sounds like great gift ideas! Nuthin' says LOVE like homemade!!! I too would suggest as Curb said about ge11..using something better...it's good for glueing/sticking tesserae..but not good for a serious job like that. I'm glad you have shared this idea as it will remind us all of the info we need to know to have success in our projects!! Jane

o

Just be sure not to get any glue or epoxy where the bearings will be or it won't work. The bearings look like steel marbles. They are what make it "glide" so nicely. Any glue in way & won't glide. They are quite "fussy" too. I have them in turbine vents on my roof,I've even had to take them apart to get dust & dirt out,lubericate & then they work again. You meant glue the track not the bearings but just in case thought I would explain,maybe will help someone else too. Loved your palmtree susan it should be great with the microplate & tracs. Jan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here