Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hrsg

gog wip finally

hrsg
16 years ago

After my design mishap I found one I could do, and love. It is inspired by Piet Mondarian's style of art. The window is 3ft. x 2ft.

Here is the design:

The colors will be: green, red, clear, black outline, yellow and gold.

Outline complete:

Close up of first section:

It is laying on a gray towel so the clear look gray also.

Comments, questions and suggestions always welcome. ~: )

Comments (92)

• klinger
    16 years ago

Gosh, that's just taking off. I love the work you've done so far, this is gonna be stunning,
    Cindy

• squirrellycanadian
    16 years ago

WOW!! Love the way you did the outline in black, it's coming along beautifully!!!

• hrsg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Holy cow! You ladies really know how to make a person feel good! Coming from the talent on this forum, it is especially awesome!

Hope to get more done tomorrow. Rest assured I will be posting pics when I do!

Thank you all again! ~: )

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

WOW...

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

...and might I add, Classy! :)

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Classy is right! BEAUTIFUL!

• kelly6780
    16 years ago

CLASSY is the exact word for this project! I can't see you working on it, but at the speed your going, I would have to day that you are having fun! And that's the best thing about a hobby! When you say design mishap are you talking about the flower? Or am I thinking of something different? Either way, its absolutely beautiful. Question: Could this same thing be done on a picture frame as opposed to a window?

• hrsg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all, and Ronnie ~: )!

Finished getting all the glass in place today. So now I have to try an experiment before I decide on grout. I've got an idea brewing for clear "grout", but have to do a test first to see if it will work.

Unfortunately I too the pic with the piece in front of the washer, so all the clear areas look white, lol. Hope to get a better pic tomorrow.

• fiddlekate
    16 years ago

You're AMAZING!
    You've gotten all of that done in NO time!
    And... it's gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Hazel Mahon
    16 years ago

That is an absolutely beautiful and elegant work of art!

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

WONDERFUL! I really love it! Wow a surprise grout! I'm excited to see!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Very Beautiful. It came out great!

Looking forward to your grout job!

Maria

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Holy DAWG SNOT!!
    That is gawgeous dahlin'!! You did a great job on it, and so fast, I envy that.
    I'm wondering about something though, why use grout at all if you want it to be clear? Perhaps the resin would be what you're thinking?

• ba1je
    16 years ago

i just love it. nice colors and i really like the abstract design....barb

• hrsg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Susan
    I am considering resin, but I'm not sure if it will work with the silicone already in place Not sure if that will affect the sealer appearance, or the set up of the resin? . If anyone knows I would love the hear.

Thank you all for the compliments! Very much appreciated!

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Wow, it's really beautiful Helen!!!! you are so fast I'm amazed and I can't wait to see what you end up doing for grout.

• texaswild
    16 years ago

You did a fabulous job on that one, girlie, and your speed is phenomenal. Wonderful work of art. Where w/you hang it?

• zone_envy
    16 years ago

Amazingly fast and amazingly beautiful. I can't believe how quickly you completed this! The clear grout or resin is something I'm definitely interested in hearing more about. I have a couple of GOG projects I want to do and they will be seen from both sides. Is there a good side/bad side after grouting? Hmmm, maybe I'll start a new thread for this.

Cindy

• hrsg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is a better photo of the mosaic.

I'm throwing around a few ideas, and need some advice ladies.
    paint the frame black?
    Grout in clear?
    grout in black or gray?

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Hmm, I used my paint shop program to try the black frame idea. I like it! makes the colors POP. I couldn't try different colors of grout, but I think I'd like dark charcoal. Your grout lines are going to be so small, I don't think you'd "lose" anything.
    {{!gwi}}

• hrsg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dang Susan! That looks great! You know, if I were not so lazy I would have thought of that, LOL!

After looking at this with the black frame I agree with you. I think the black grout is also going to be the way to go. My only concern with that would be the black tiles getting lost?

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Thats why I said charcoal, not quite black, but med gray.
    You did such a great job on this!
    Oh, you do still have my address on where to send it to don't you? LOL

• hrsg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL! Yep I sure do! Do you recognize some of the glass?

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Charcoal - LOVE that black frame.

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

The black frame is perfect! I also think charcoal grout. What a beautiful piece of art!!!

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

OMG Helen, when I first read this post you had just decided on your pattern, and now a few days later I see you are ready to grout it! You sure were speedy!!! I love the colors and agree with black for your frame.
    Can't wait to see it grouted!

Barb

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Love th black frame!!

With something that clear I'd put different colors behind it to get an idea of grout color

Maria

• hrsg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maria
    That is a good idea! ~: )

• hrsg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just finished!
    Close up of glass:

Whole Piece:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Wow, what a stunning, awesome piece!!

Maria

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

I just smiled a great big ol' smile when I saw your finished piece. As my son would say, "Cawabunga dude!" I would be glad to take this off your hands if you have no place to put it! (Aren't I generous?)

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

TRIPLE DAWG SNOT!!!
    That's the BOMB, Helen. You really did an excellent job on it. I LOVE the design. And let's see, it only took you 8 days? Wow, speedy too!
    Do you know where you're gonna put it yet?

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

WOW! It's absolutely gorgeous!!! Thanks for the close-up - wow - your placement is really perfect! Really a beautiful piece....and I can't believe how fast you completed it!!!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

GOOD GRIEF that's absolutely WONDERFUL. Need more words here, but I think you KNOW how spectacular an art piece that is. Truly a work of art - worthy of a gallery. Such precision is to dream about here - so neat and perfect. Congratulations on a great project. I know you're proud of this piece. Whatcha doin' next?

• hrsg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You ladies humble me! You have no idea how wonderful it is to have such great compliments come from such talented artists! Thank you so very much.

This will be hung in one of my dining room windows. And next I'm making an over the sink shelf for my newly painted/redecorated kitchen. This will be done with tiles.

• coppertop367
    16 years ago

That is just awesome!!!!! I really enjoyed looking at all the pics as it progressed. You did a great job!! Very talented person.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Just back in town and AWESOME is right.....everyone has used up all the words to describe how wonderful this piece is...old Piet what's his name has nothing on you Helen...WOW what a beauty.and you should be really really proud of it. Annie

• seaglassic
    16 years ago

I've watched this from the first line drawing and now to the finished piece.
    each time I see the picture, I've been trying to choose the one word that fits it..
    finally, I would say that what seems to fit it best for me, is TRANQUIL.
    it's peaceful and soothing..
    you should be so proud of it and enjoy it for years to come. and so will others who see it.

congratulations on your work.

Becky .(*_*).

• hrsg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Annie and Becky! Your comments and compliments mean a great deal, and push me on to another new mosaic. You also coppertop52! ~: )

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

It's tremendous Helen!, you must be so happy. It came out BEAUTIFULLY!

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

I LOVE the grout and am so glad you went with dark grout because I think it really pulled out the texture of the whole thing more! And the frame HAD to be black!!! Excellent job!!! Can we still have a pic of it in it's actual home space too??!!

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

Helen: What a BEAUTIFUL piece of art! SO glad you shared its progress with us.

• curbdiver1954
    16 years ago

Helen, your talent absolutely is amazing!! That is gorgeous - I instantly fell under the spell of yor perfect overlapping geometry!! I can only wish to be able to draw out something like that.....sigh!

Pat

• hrsg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you both for such wonderful compliments!

Pat you have plenty of ability. As we have all seen from your work!

• LinLee
    16 years ago

Hi hrsg,
    While perusing the "other" art site I came across
    your sister post of this gog. I don't remember ever seeing it grouted.
    How wonderful did THIS turn out!
    Thought it might like another viewing.;o)
    Linlee

• hrsg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, thank you so much Linlee! It is always nice to see someone appreciate a piece after the fact. And actually your flower glass on glass is what inspired me to do a big project. ~: )

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

I never saw it grouted either! WOW hrsg! That turned out
    awesome. Really a great art piece. Did you finish the shelf?
    got a pic?

Hazie

• hrsg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Uh oh! Hazie you clearly read the whole thread.

I actually have the shelf mosaiced, but have not grouted it. LOL! Got distracted by another idea I wanted to start on...Okay, I'll try to get it grouted...~: )

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

I remember this window...I loved the funkiness of it. So much like Frank Lloyd Wright but with a funky twist. I actually checked out some books on him and found I really like his style. He was quite before his time..Im glad this got brought back up cause I just love it!!!! Ive clipped it for ideas in the future!!!

• hrsg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, thank you chickee! I've never been clipped before. Or at least not that I know.

FLW was an amazing visionary. He was consistent through everything he did. You can spot his work easily.