Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

paverpol sculpture

nicethyme
12 years ago

so on another forum, someone had posted a pic of a fabric sculpture she made in a class she took. and I just had to get this stuff, paverpol. Its a fabric hardener and it can be used on outdoor creations!!!!

I'm not exactly making a pretty woman with flowing skirts and fairy wings but you'll see.

you start by making a wire armature and then wrap it in foil to "thicken" it up

Comments (22)

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I continued until I got the shape I wanted

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

so then you wrap your sculpture in paverpol soaked strips of fabric

then, using mastic I have smoothed an area for a mosaic tee shirt (as well as her legs before painting) and added slippers

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Well of all things. Never heard of this, but it sure has wonderful qualities and the possibilities are endless - much easier to work with than the lath. Gotta do some research on this. Your first image is a perfect chicken. I'll say it again - wish I could get into your brain for inspiration and ideas. And what was your inspiration for this type of woman? This w/be interesting to watch for sure.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

can't say I'm aware of why I went with a "voluptious" body type. just being contrarian I suppose, seeing as most ppl make some slim tall figure with the proportions of a super model.

yes, everyone had thought it was a chicken in the beginning.. funny how it started off like that.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

She's definitely hot! Love those little slippers too. So you put the fabric right over the foil and tape?

That's a great product, I'll have to check it out. My next project plan is a salamander but I was concerned the lath wouldn't round the toes so this sounds perfect.

Is this paverpol at a place like Hobby Lobby or do you order it?

• klinger
    12 years ago

I thought you were making a chicken at first too, I've heard of this, someone locally was teaching a class, but I had to work the day of it, I think there's lots of possibilities with it. Don't know where to get it locally but seems to remember a website that sold supplies. I wonder if it's available under several different names.I look forward to seeing this finished.

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Lookin good....what an awesome sounding product you've got us all thinking about. I have one of those life size deer frames that you put in the yard at Christmas. The one I have is real heavy duty and I keep invisioning covering him in different shades of brown rocks. I didn't have the "braves" to put lathe and all on him. This sounds like something easier to handle. The best part for me the shape is already there!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This sounds like a good answer for you oldcrafty

I checked at Michaels and Jo anns and didn't find it so I ordered it online from Dharma trading, since I've been buying all the dyes and wax from them for our batik projects.
    Klinger, there's an aweful lot we could be doing with this stuff for sure!

My daughter is doing a tree sculpture for the national latin convention and we thought this would be perfect for her. so naturally I had to play with it too.

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Wow what an interesting product! And I can't wait to see your (dancing?) lady complete. How fun. I really liked starting my armature out with crushed newspaper, much like you did with foil. It just seemed easier to work with to get the shape I wanted.

Thanks so much for sharing this cool product!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was thinking last night this stuff could be used to harden and weatherproof shoes for substrates! oooo

Slow introduced me to polymer clay (so she's responsible for what I'm about to show you! lol)

• klinger
    12 years ago

Cool polymer face, this is gonna look great. Can the polymer stay outside all year?

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Oh, my word, girlie. You are the one that's amazing. That is the coolest sculpture I've ever seen. Did you form that head and hand by hand? Have never seen a mold like that. If so, you've come a loooooooong w/your clay skills. Man, that's GOOD!!! Re clay outside - mine didn't last but about a year. I made a small cross for the little church I made for a flowerbed. It just curled up and died.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

She looks so good, great face.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

yeah, I'm with Slow on that - I don't think polymer can hold up to UV.

Slow I did do it by hand... my 1st face ever... I had seen tutorials on sculpting faces so I tried to recall - most I think was about doing a center line and where the eyes should be... blah blah I have a bigger problem just getting something to look female as opposed to male LOL

• Imsunflwr1
    12 years ago

WoW!!! This is so cool! The possibilities are endless! You did an amazing job with the polymer clay. Can hardly wait to see more!

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Wow that is amazing sculpting! I would have thought you bought a mold or something.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

amazing. Can't wait to see it finished. thanks for introducing us to paverpol.
    Kathy

• texaswild
    12 years ago

You are just amazing!!! She is sooo cute. And just what is that HOT little number saying? Name?

• loribee2
    12 years ago

She is hysterical! Such attitude. You do beautiful work. So much personality, I think she would resonate with everyone who saw her.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you both, I have no ideas for why she's wagging her finger.. suggestions for a caption WELCOME!

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

She is so cute. Bet passerby's take a second look. Your work is amazing.
    So, did you put pavorpol on her housecoat and shorts also? The house coat looks stiff as if you did. Can hardly wait to see the cute caption suggestions you get.

Sponsored