Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shrty411

Plant stand inspiredby Slow and Flag

shrty411
15 years ago

Inspired by the cinder block plant stands by Slowmedown and Flagtruck, I made this. I found the two butterflies just after I started. I wanted to use both, so I ended up with one red side. Needs some cleaning yet.

Comments (20)

• chickencollecter
    15 years ago

Beautiful.

Be Safe, Rach

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

WOW! Nice plant stand! Those butterflies are fabulous!

• katishooked
    15 years ago

This was such a neat idea. I adore it.

Kathy

• theeggshelllady
    15 years ago

Very pretty! I love the butterflies.

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

Pretty neat gal. I am glad you were inspired to do such a wonderful piece...I think everyone should do one...lol

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Maria,

I love your plant stands. So cool. Especially love that butterfly. My DH looked at me like I was CRAZY when I told him I wanted to mosaic all of our concrete blocks. LOL. I'll have to show him yours, Slow's and Flags and he will change his mind.

Any tips?? Did you use the plates to cover the holes?? Thinset and thinset for grout and glue??

• ladyronnie
    15 years ago

I really like the 3-D-ness of it! I still want to make some of these, just gotta getta round tuit!

• curbdiver1954
    15 years ago

How pretty! Looks so summer-y with the "flutter-bys"! They look wonderful with the plates you used.

DH thinks I'm nuts, too, mermaid...we've got some that've been laying in a back flowerbed for years and years that I want to tackle - one I get them dug out that is.

Pat

• texasfern
    15 years ago

What a great idea with the plates!
    Very nice.

• barbfrizzell1955
    15 years ago

Looks great Maria...I love those butterflies!

• Louisiana_greetings
    15 years ago

those are pretty neat. are the butterfies candy dishes. they might would work on top as a bird bath also, if they are deep enough.
    bonnie

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Well, SHRTY: You did a great job. Congrats. Very pretty. Aren't they fun, quick and easy??? - and so useful.

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

Wow!..........never thought of using a whole plate....un-broken! very cool idea!

• shrty411
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! Mermaid. I used thinset to "glue" them on, but I used sanded grout. I still have trouble using thinset. Flag,I think, said she covered the holes with tiles. I found plates that fit. I have the plant stand by my garage and I have this at the end of my driveway ( excuse the weeds), so I thought the whole plates would look good:

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Shrty,

Missed your cute garden!! How cool is that with all of the plates!! A true mosaicer driveway. LOL. So you used sanded grout, hmm.. I agree thinset and I are still not quiet ready for prime inside time yet.

• Louisiana_greetings
    15 years ago

that is a good idea with the plates in your flower bed, sometimes some of the plates are just too nice to break up. i really don't use plates too much cuz i like smooth surfaces , but i have learned new ways to use them here, from ya'll to where all the pieces can be used.
    bonnie

• trancegemini_wa
    15 years ago

oh this is great shrty! those butterflies are so pretty, what a great feature this is going to be in your garden!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

SHRTY: I LOVE that little vignette at the corner of your driveway. There's some pretty plates in there. Now, tell me exactly where you live. Have you heard about midnight requisitions?

• shrty411
    Original Author
    15 years ago

he,he, slow...you have to requesition some of those weeds. too!!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Got plenty of my own, thankyouverymuch. However, they, along w/some of my plants are dying from the heat and neglect. Predicted temp today is 104.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!