Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathyscache

just about nature-wip

cathyscache
14 years ago

Hi ALL, I started a project today that has been rolling aorund in my head for ages!!! Thanks goodness it has stoppe rolling!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!! I am making this as a Christmas gift for my oldest son and his sweet woman. They just bought a house and it's not really together yet. They love nature but are sort of minimalist. No clutter, no fuss. There will b a creek of blue and grey glass and I think the background will be mirror. Their living room is long butnot very wide so I thought the mirror with give it a more open feel. Anyway that's te plan, fo course we all know that could change. I'm calling it "JUST About NATURE"

Later ALL, Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: WIP-JUST About NATURE

Comments (34)

• addiesue
    14 years ago

Cathy...that is going to be beautiful!! I love the mirror idea and think a mirror in any room makes it look bigger. I love all of your projects too especially the birdbath...it looks so perfect and the leaves look so uniform that I thought they were whole peices of tessa at first. I LOVE it! Looks like you've been putting that new saw to good use...lol.

Addiesue

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

After the grandkids went to bed I worked a little longer. Thanks ADDIESUE:::Actually I haven't cut anything since I hurt my neck with the saw. Most everthing in this one was already cut (except the tree tiles and I just took a hammer to those) I'm just nipping to fit. And all the mirror is already broke so I just have to nip those. Makes things go much faster when it already bagged and all U have to do is nip, glue and place. Later

Here is a link that might be useful: WIP

• texaswild
    14 years ago

You really work fast. This w/be a wonderful wall art. I love using mirror. It adds so much to mosaics.

• charmo
    14 years ago

Cathy, why am I not surprised??? This is going to be one beautiful present for your son and his wife. For sure the mirror is going to make their LR bigger and it will make this project really nice also. Can't wait to see it all done!

• solstice98
    14 years ago

What a great project! And I loved the finished pictures of the birdbath too. It turned out to be beautiful!

Here's a newbie question: what are you doing the new mosaic on? Is it wood or some type of fiber board? Can you do this on plywood or does it warp?

Kate

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey All. First time I've used mirror as background and I am lovin it!!! Here's today's work. I'm tired and the neck is a hurtin so not sure I'll get anymore done today. Maybe later but we'll see. But after the mirror on to the river. I plan to grout 4 differnt colors, so that's gonna take awhile but I think it will be worth the extra effort. ...SOLSTICE: I have used MDF. But because it's a large project my plan is to add more MDF w/construction adhisive to the back, 1 1/2 in larger than this piece and add the frame to that (mosiac) either tile or wood haven't made that decision yet.That decision w/be when I'm not tired!!!! Anyway that will strengthen the piece some and will probably add a couple of cross braces in the back. Later all thanks Charmo, Addisue-Slow.....

Here is a link that might be useful: WIP

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

Looking awesome Cathy! i love the mirror as background

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

I made a fish mirror for my son, your project reminds me of it!!! He too, likes the nature look! I put mine on cement board, used mirror and marbles for the background and Italian Porceline tile for the Salmon(Son Loves fishing!)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Thanks for the detail information. I'm learning so much from all of you!

Calamity - I love the quilted look to the background mirror on you salmon piece. Very cool!

Kate

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Calam what a gorgeous piece. Love it!!! Ifinished the mirroe last night and will start on the river today.

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well I finished it today and am ready to start grouting tomorrow. I'm doing 4 different colors of grout. Grey on the mirror, green on the tree, blue on the creek and black on the rocks and agates. I'll do some taping tonight and start grouting tomorrow.

Here is a link that might be useful: WIP-ready to grout

• addiesue
    14 years ago

I AM SO WIRED FULL OF ENERGY RIGHT NOW...YEAAAAHHHHH! This stuff is like speed for me! I can't get enough of it!! Cathy, I absolutely LOOOOOOVE that piece and can't wait to see it grouted. You said you are going to grout it with three different colors and that's something I don't have the courage to do myself so I'm anxiously waiting to see it...I'm sure it will be FABULUOS! I just grouted my latest wip and chewed all of my nails off trying to convince myself to do two colors of grouts but in the end went with black. I'll take it off tomorrow and I'm having pangs of remorse thinking I might have made a mistake. Yours however, I can see it as you explained it and I know it will be eye popping gorgeous!

Calamity....I JUST LOVE YOU, bless your heart! You always give us pictures and WE LOVE PICTURES! Your fish is awesome and absolutely masculine all the while full of class and style. What are the little round things in the corner of the mirror squares? I wanna do that!

You guys are AWESOME!

Addiesue

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Addiesue! You are so sweet!!! Those are small marbles, kind black and shiny like ammonite?

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ADDISUE: You are just too darn funny girl!!! First thank you and second where are YOUR pics?? We wanta see!!!!! Later

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Love it, CATH: The blue is really a statement, and of course, I LOVE mirror tiles. Anxious to see this in your grout colors.

• emtnest
    14 years ago

Cathy, yours is just lovely!!!
    Calamity, what did you do the diamond shape lines with? Love yours as well!!!

• texasfern
    14 years ago

Neato stuff this morning!
    You know me, I LOVE working with mirrors!
    That "quilted" look is great. I stashed that idea for later!
    This is the first I heard of your neck injury Cathy, hope it gets better soon. Great work, the kids are gonna love it.

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I sealed the rocks and agates and slate on tree last night and again this morning. And what a difference it makes. I love seeing all the colors in the rocks POP out!!!!! Started taping this morning so may be able to grout one color this evening. Gonna be a lot of taping.....Oh well will be worth I'm just sure!!!! Hey Tex, blew a disk...what a pain in the b-hind (neck) but it's healing, have good and bad days and nights but I refuse to let it get me down......not my first rodeo!!!! Later

Here is a link that might be useful: WIP-rocks & agates sealed

• texaswild
    14 years ago

What a huge difference the sealing makes. Already looks pretty enough to leave, but no, I'm a grout person. Really nice, CATH. Your next project looks interesting. You sure know how to tease us.

• addiesue
    14 years ago

Cathy...that is beautiful! What did you seal your rocks with? I wanna get some of that stuff.

Addiesue

• texasfern
    14 years ago

Wow! The difference is beautiful!
    I can envision your grout colors, it is going to be fantastic.

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

Cathy that is looking so good I love it.I love the way you use rocks.
    Calamity I love that fish love the way mirrows are.

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I grouted the green of the tree today and I can't wait til it's dry to know if it's the color I hope it will be...Was gonna do the tan/brown on the tree but didn't happen. I know my limiits and the green was all I could handle today. Had to lay down flat for awhile and just never got back @ it. But thers's always tomorrow (or tonight) or the the next day . Whatever. Oh I've learend to take it all in stride!!!!! LOL!!! Damn it's a buger getting old!!! When I was young I'd have fought this a lot harder!!! But when WE GET OLDER

Here is a link that might be useful: Green of Tree grouted_WIP

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

it looks FAB! the grout really pulled the greenery together nice

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Well, of COURSE, it looks great. Bless your heart. Take care of yourself. This is looking sooooooo good.

• artglass
    14 years ago

Cathy, your wall panel is really looking great. Complain all you like about the aches and limitations we start feeling this time in our life. Just when we have the time to act on some crazy idea and our body goes into working half time. Now, I am back to asking questions again. Wall panels are great but what weight do you estimate this one to be and how do you hang it?

• texasfern
    14 years ago

Good Lord Cathy, in the midst of all this, you are creating a wonderful piece!
    I think I would just lay around and whine, with cheese of course!
    Your are the bomb and this is a wonderful work.

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all, Going to try to grout some more today. Hopefully get the river and the tree, I've got to go town out of blk for the rocks.
    Art: It will be heavy, how heavy not sure because I'm still haven't decided how I'm going to do the frame. That's still bouncing around in my head!!!! I'll figure it out soon. It'll definetly take a BIG screw or nail to hold it!!!

• addiesue
    14 years ago

Cathy...what did you use to seal your rocks? I love the shine and now I have to try it for myself.

Addiesue

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi All, After my town trip yesterday, I was wiped out. Cooked dinner and went to bed, but got up early this morn and grouted the river. Probably do another color later tonight.
    ADDIESUE:I use Pro-finish (home-depot) or Minwax polyurethane.either works great and I'm sure there are many more brands ut there that would work just as well..I always seal the rocks and agates before grouting so clean up is easier. I give them another coat after grouting.

Here is a link that might be useful: River grouted

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Grouted today!!! Finished all of it!!!! Yee Haw!!!!
    Still needs some clean up tomorrow and sealed but I actually finished yeahh@@@@@!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Grouted

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Congratulations, girlie. It's wonderful. I KNOW you must be proud, and glad to be finished w/another project. You sure whip them out fast.

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Slow, Hubby's gonna help me make a custom frame. I have something in my head and hopefully we can come up with something that will work. But he's watching the race right now , so after the race we'll see what we can make work.

• addiesue
    14 years ago

WOO HOOOO! The second you know you are FINALLY finished is such a relief and a rush all at the same time, huh! It looks wonderful! I couldn't find a full pic tho just some close ups. Good luck on making the frame and let us see a full pic when you get it framed, k? Your kids are gonna love it! I was looking at the bark of the tree...are those rocks or tiles? They are so cool whatever they are. It gives the impression of real wood! Very nice job!

Addiesue

Sponsored