Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question ?

Posted by louisiana_greetings (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 08 at 23:10

crash glass, would ya'll show me a pic or two using the crash glass, i'm curious how you use it, and what it looks like.
i can get gobs of it, but really don't know how i can apply it or make it look good. do you paint it, or maybe paint the surface under it for color?
bonnie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question ?

It's great stuff to work with Bonnie.
You can either paint the back of the glass(before you break it) or paint your substrate.
I have used Weldbond to secure, none of the pieces I have used it for were for outdoors.
The frog was done by a friend of mine that I taught for awhile. This is ungrouted. We also did one we painted spots on. The spots on this one are the painted glass.
We did some ceramic fruit!
It works well on candle hurricanes. You can barely see the colored pieces in it.
The final picture is of one of my favorite crosses.
It is also great to fill up large spaces between tesse stuff.
Hope this helps.
I think I may have to go find those buckets of glass I have!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o
RE: question ?

LA - I had to go waaaaaaaay back to find a couple of things I mosaiced w/TG. You can glue shiny foil, photos, leaves, whatever to your base, then glue the glass over it. As TX says, you can either paint the glass or the base also. I found Weldbond to be too slow to dry, so ended up using silicon. There are two boxes using Weldbond, and silicon. There's also a little mirror w/a red heart in the corner in my "mirror" album where I used gold glitter glue to adhere the pieces. Waaaay down in "My Queendom" album is a picture showing size of the glass pieces. Try to keep them from breaking into teensy pieces. It's very addictive to work with this stuff.
Crash glass items

o
Texasfern I love that cross too and have questions

did you paint the cross or the glass in this case? And it looks like you didn't use any grout? (I've always used grout but love the effect on your cross)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here