Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
downeastwaves

My first project...

downeastwaves
12 years ago

Hi Folks,

Just thought I'd post a pix of my first project. Kinda fun, think I will do some more. This is our house number on a tile using sea glass.

Leasa

Eastport, Maine

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (14)

• Imsunflwr1
    12 years ago

Wow! That's great... you did a wonderful job! I'd like to do one of those too one of these days! Thanks for posting and welcome to the group!

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Good Job! What are you thinking of doing next?

• texaswild
    12 years ago

What a nice little project for your first. Your sea glass looks very nice. I assume you sealed it w/some sort of coating to make it look so pretty. Welcome to the playground, and we'll be watching for more of your work.

• downeastwaves
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the comments and welcome!

I already started my third project--ran out of 527 and just read that I was to seal the wood before adhering the glass on my second project...more reading and a book would be a good idea.

The second one is a dragon, I'm just trying to get a hang of it, started a leaf, too.

I have a web page all done but the last pix of the number attached to the house. Lots of discussion on how to do it with hubby. think I've settled on mounting it to a cedar shingle with liquid nails, sealing up any cracks with silicone, painting that to match where it is being screwed to the house.

I was too much of a chicken to drill the tile to mount it directly.

The grout sealer is in a bottle with an applicator and I did give it a top coat of spray. All the brands and pix of the items I used are on the page, should get it posted by tomorrow if we go to the store today. (40 minute trip one way)

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Its lovely, what a good idea to use a tile. Sea glass is so perfect for a house number in Eastport.
    I think you are right not to drill now. Before mosaicing is the time to drill!
    Kathy

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

nice work! but I LOL when you said in your 1st post that you "think you will do some more" I said to myself, of course you will! and there you are on your 3rd project... Welcome to the addiction! lol

• downeastwaves
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We just got home and I liquid nailed the tile to the shingle. Now, after it dries I will paint it and attach it to the house, pix and post the page tomorrow.

In the mean time I have more 527 and on the dragon project I missed the glue on one piece of glass, so now that has to dry. I think I will give some different stuff I found in the barn a try on the third project, since it is not glued yet. I used that stuff to replace some tiles in the bathroom long time ago...shoulda checked to see it it was dried up or not before we went to Calais....LOL

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

That looks great!!

• opusmosaics
    12 years ago

Nice job. One of my first mosaic projects was also a house number sign for where I lived. I definitely encourage you to keep making mosaics too because it is such a wonderful craft and art form. For years I made lots of functional and decorative mosaics (picture frames, mirrors, flower pots) before moving on to make fine art mosaics. Whichever route you choose to take it can all be very gratifying.

Here is a link that might be useful: Opus Mosaics-Mosaic Tile Supplies for Any Project

• downeastwaves
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement!

The web page is done. The project is mounted to the house!

Here is a link that might be useful: First project

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

It looks wonderful.

My dh and I arrived on the ferry in Eastport once years ago. The customs guy was just watching everyone and waving us all through. There was a nice little downtown and some of the historic store fronts were being fixed up but weren't rented yet. This was more than 10 years ago. Maybe 15 years. How did things go with your downtown?

Kathy

• downeastwaves
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL The ferry is still there, but now there's a little building and they check you a little better. Downtown is doing GREAT! There are just 3 vacant stores downtown now! It is so nice to see it alive! We just got a bakery, Greek cafe, pet supply store and a coffee shop. LOVE IT! Maybe I will do up a page for downtown...

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Congratulations - you did a fabulous job on your first project. What's next? Yeah, I know - we're a hungry-for-more bunch.

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Sorry for chiming in late, I'm just catching up after an extended vacation. Your house number looks adorable! Great job with it! Looking forward to seeing more of your projects and welcome to the loop. You'll learn a lot from the wonderful people on the forum.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio