Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brendak_59

Plans For a Light Box

brendak_59
14 years ago

I am interested in GOG's and would like to know if anyone has any info on how I would go about building a light box. What kind of glass would you use to go on top and what is the best kind of light bulb?

Thanks

Comments (17)

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

When you say light box, do you mean you want to make a light box that will be a GOG? Like a shadow box? Or do you mean a light box that you can use to look at the glass colors to pick out(a tool, so to speak)

• wackyweeder
    14 years ago

I have seen people make their own in a variety of ways...the glass on top needs to be frosted underneath, you can use a frosting spray or buy a piece of frosted glass, it also needs to be able to bear the weight of what you are setting on it. even plexiglass would work fine if it was frosted. Most use flourescent light sources I think mainly to because of heat...delphi I believe sells a cheap light box that you simply insert a GE bright stick flourescent light into. The bottom and sides need to be reflective...bright white or foil to maximize your light output and prevent shadows . Someone on another forum made one from an old bathroom vanity they were replacing. It doesnt have to be fancy. Good luck with it!

• brendak_59
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the help. I didn't know the top glass needed to be frosted or that the sides and bottom needed to be reflective. Glad I asked before starting. I always learn alot on this forum. Thanks again.
    Brenda

• addiesue
    14 years ago

Brendak...I have two...where do you live? If you live anywhere near OKC I'll give you one of mine. Neither of mine have frosted glass or are reflective inside tho. They are just wooden boxes made out of 1x4s and a back. One has a plexiglass front and the other real glass. They both have normal light bulbs mounted across from each other inside. They both work fine but I use the plexiglass one the most just because I'm afraid I'll drop something on the glass one and shatter it...I'm pretty clumsy...:)

Addiesue

• brendak_59
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I live in Mississippi, 4 miles from the Alabama line. I think I am the only one from Ms on this forum.
    Brenda

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Hey, Slow lives in Texarcana, that's close to you isn't it? Anyhoo, I don't have frosted glass on my light box that I use to do actual stained glass on, I like super brightness of it. And now I am pondering about making my Chihuahua plaque as a shadowbox/lightbox now, and I won't be diffusing the light, I like the idea of using some christmas led lights in it...hmmm, maybe use some 1x3 and 1/4inch plywood...hmmm, now ya got me thinkin'!!! There is actually all kinds of lighting that could be used, if ya have a mind to go outside the box!lol! Oh, and my light box has florescent tube lighting in it, I use the "natural" light tubes(more like real sunlight)

• brendak_59
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was given a counter top with a hole cut for a sink and thought that would be a good place to put a light box. I'm still working on my craft building and trying to get everything set up temporarily to make something. I'm waiting on a set of kitchen cabinets that a friend is giving me as soon as her new cabinets are made.
    I still have time to figure out what to do about the box. Thanks for all the advice.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Ahhh, so it is for stained glass then!!! It doesn't have to be very deep, just deep enough to cover your light and a inch or so, and I'd say screw the box together so you can change bulbs when you need to. Hope you share pics of the making of this!!!

• addiesue
    14 years ago

What a great idea! That would be very handy to have and it's sunk in even with your countertop. Mine is such a hassle to use because both are heavy and I hate to give up counter space for it. I do use it a lot under my project. I put whatever I"m working on on saw horses usually and then put the light box on the floor under that. Sometimes it's helpful. We'd love to see it when you get it all done.

Addiesue

• wackyweeder
    14 years ago

Oh a countertop with a hole cut in it would be perfect! Just mount some lights under there and go for it! The reasona lot of boxes use flouro is beacuae they put out less heat than incandescents, but if you have lots of room under your light surface, thats less of a problem. Frosted glass keeps you from being distracted by whats under the glass is all...a sheet of paper taped to it would do the same thing. Let us see what you do!

• brendak_59
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Calamity. I'm glad you thought of screws for the box. I would have been in a pickle if my lights went out and had to tear my box apart to change the bulb.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Oh!!! What about putting one side with hinges so it could be opened, with a clasp of some kind to hold it closed!?! Kinda like a cabinet door?!

• brendak_59
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Calamity are you saying cover the box with maybe a piece of board to use as a work space when light box isn't being used?

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

That would be a good idea too, but I mean about the box part underneath, use hinges to attach it to the table top. Also a consideration to remember is to ask yourself what height you want your table, do you want it kitchen table height, or kitchen countertop height, as in how much bending over this will you want to do?! I also have my work table on wheels so I can move it around if I need to.
    Which I do surprisingly a lot..to sweep, just all kinds of reasons...but you may be using it as a stabalized bench against a wall?. Here is a pic when I was putting my Art Room together(too messy right now to show!lol) Different from what you are doing, lightbox is off to the side...I also have a bigger light box that I use so I can cut on one,(don't do the pattern cutting thing, I cut/trace), and one to set my project on, I like it that way, having 2 boxes, but that's me....I'm not doing any stained glass projects right now so have the other lightbox stored out in the shed. My Art room is about 11x20 and I have it Crammed with tesserae, stained glass, etc,so no room for 2 boxes till I reorganize!!!lol! It's kinda sad, but DH doesn't want the windows "cluttered" with stained glass, so the panels I wanted to do have been put on hold....

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• brendak_59
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the pic and ideas. You have given me alot to think about. I love your work space and work table. All I have for light now is a small lamp and that kitchen counter and a desk. I think I will see about putting the counter top on wheels. Hopefully I will get my ceiling and my light fixtures this weekend. I know I'm trying to move in way before my room is ready but I am having a hard time waiting. Seems no one wants to move as fast as I want them to. What is your table top made of?

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Oh Do I Hear Ya!!! I was practically frothing at the mouth to get into my room!!! I had to wait for the floor and just wanted to leave it bare concrete so I wouldn't have to wait!!!lol! I've just been talking to Klinger who is getting ready to move into her Studio(YIPEEE!!!) and we were just talking about all this, and I recommend a table on wheels and a hanging flourescent light(the cheap workshop kind) hanging right over the table, with the more like sun, bulbs, and the only thing I would change is that I bought a nice thick plywood for the surface, but didn't know there was different grades...thuse I have dips and grains running thru it so it isn't the greatest for cutting on as it isn't a level surface!!!grrrr, but as I do most of my cutting on the light box, it's okay. I cut right on top of the glass of the lightbox!!! No problem! Well, there is usually a pattern underneath it...I am SURE you can make do with a desk and a countertop, just get some shelves for your tesserae and such...I also found a sort of filing cabinet/shelf that I turned on it's side to place/store my glass in, works like a charm!!! I purposely put this near the window so as I pull out the glass from the shelves(cubbyholes), I can see thru the glass with the light from the window...I got a lot of my ideas from here, but we seem to be more about mosaics these days(faster and more forgiving!lol)Anyhoo, My Art Room is always evolving!!! I really liked the idea that Flag used for her Studio and had to copy it about using glass jars as a way to store my tesserae, and I built the narrow(1x4) shelves..Love em!!!(In this pic you can see the glass shelf, glass saw and grinder and lightbox, all handy to my table/w/the light above)Oh, plus I have 2 of those magnifying lights, one on the table and one on the glass saw/grinder table!) Handy lil devils!!! And on the rollng table I attached a powerbar to plug my solder iron and light and tumbler etc into....I just wanted to say that this post has inspired me so much, by chatting about all this, that I am CLEANING up my room!!!!lol!!! So I can get in there and enjoy it again!!!ha!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• texaswild
    14 years ago

CALAM!!!! You get yourself right back out there and work on that throne chair. I'm anxious to see that!!!!!

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz