Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momma_green

Bowling Ball!

Momma_Green
11 years ago

Hi guys! I'm a newbie. This site and all of ya'lls pics are such an inspiration! I recently started my first bowling ball and i have a question or 2. I'm using a broken mirror that i had and e 6000 glue to stick it on. Will that hold? I live in Arkansas so it is HOT!!!! When i get to the grouting part i'm unsure of how to do that part....any tips? Thank you. I plan on postin pics as soon as i get my darn camera working.:)

Comments (6)

• anneinva_2009
    11 years ago

I have heard that real mirror doesn't work because it eats away from behind. I use stained glass that has crinkled foil behind it so it looks like mirror. i get it at the stained glass store. I use GE II for windows and doors. It can be bought anywhere like home depot or walmart. I have made a bunch of bowling balls and this has worked for me. It is real tacky so it stays in place. sometimes it slides and i slide it back while working on it. I have had my ball for a few years and it is doing well. I take it indoors in the winter.

• wackyweeder
    11 years ago

Its actually the adhesive that can eat the mirror backing off and make it spotty. I personally like that effect-it looks antique. Solutions to that are to either seal the mirror with miror sealant before gluing or use proper adhesive. (Loctite silicone sealant and adhesive for example.)
    The e 6000-I used that once upon a time before I met silicone and it held up very well thru all kinds of weather so it will probably be fine. Next time-get silicone, its cheaper than e 6000 anyway.
    Grouting--I like to mix my grout dry-nice and thick, not runny. Dryer grout is easier to apply and clean. Smoosh it in all the spaces, wait a few minutes-and I mean a few, especially if its hot, and with a slightly damp spong or crumpled newspaper remove the extra. wait till it sets up a bit and clean it better. (so you dont remove it from the spaces). Its not hard and everyone kind of develops their own way to do it. Good luck!

• Momma_Green
    Original Author
    11 years ago

finished gluing the mirror on, now i have to grout it, i think next time i will put my mirror closer together. Any thoughts?

• Momma_Green
    Original Author
    11 years ago

another pic of my bb with the mirror glued on.

• barbfrizzell1955
    11 years ago

It is a matter of personal preference but I agree that the next one you do you should glue your pieces closer together so your grout lines aren't so big. However, as long as you haven't grouted it yet, and if you still have mirror left you could still add more pieces to fill in the areas between the mirror you already have glued down.

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

I feel that way too!!