Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deannad_gw

Where did the giant sunflower go?

deannad
12 years ago

Hi,

I've been fascinated with this forum in the last few months. I've been getting back into stained glass and have recently dabbled with a couple of mosaic workshops.

Someone here posted a giant mesh sunflower that they planned to mosaic and I am dying to see how it turned out. For some reason my searches aren't finding the right post and I don't remember the user name.

Can someone point me to the link? I'm hoping there are updated pictures! Thx!! You guys are amazing!

Comments (6)

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Hi, glad you decided to jump in!

I think you are looking for Lori's flower so I've provided the link to her blog post because all the info is in one place.

Look forward to seeing your work too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lori's flower post

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Welcome to the forum, DEANNAD. Hope to see some pictures of your work soon.

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Thanks for asking about the sunflower. This is where I start feeling guilty about posting pictures in-progress. I bounce from project to project all the time and leave people hanging! Sorry about that!

My sunflower project got stalled after I mortared it and discovered how very top-heavy it became. Here's a pic in it's current state:

Especially after adding tile and grout, this flower will be too heavy to simply stake into the ground as I'd originally planned. Not unless I want to bury it deeper than I'd planned. So I went on a search to find out how I would deal with that little snag. What I found was fairly heavy gauge green coated wire. My plan will be to get a second piece of rebar that I bury a solid 2 feet. I'll attach this rebar stem to that one by coiling my green wire around the two of them from bottom to top. I'm even hoping to add a couple green wire "leaves" in the process.

But unfortunately, that's where it sits. I'm in the process of trying to finish Mr. Sea, which is going to take me a couple months at least, given I can only usually work 1-2 days a week (blasted day job). But I do appreciate your asking about it. Knowing someone's interested is often the prompting that gets me off my duff and makes me finish a project! ;-D

Here is a link that might be useful: loribees garden blog

• deannad
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yay! That's the one. Thanks for the links. I love the butterflies too! I have seen Mr Sea in progress. That is an amazing project. I will check back to see your progress.

I just finished a leaded panel for my mom. As soon as I can corral some family member to help me I will get it outside and take some pictures.

Thanks everyone. This is a great forum!

• loribee2
    12 years ago

We would all love to see it!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Yes, I love to see pictures!
    I have just taken a stained glass class and want to make a window for my dh for his birthday at the end of August.
    Not sure I can pull it off as a newbie but I'm going to try.
    I usually mosaic.
    Kathy