Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flagtruck

Mosaicing on mesh Turtorial for Daisyme

flagtruck
15 years ago

I just posted a few pics of the purple pot I finished today and a few wip pics showing using the fibergalss mesh for the inset.

I plan to grout in purple...whatcha' think? Anybody have any ideas on what I should do to the rim on the pot?

I thought of masking the mosaic off after grouting and spraypainting it purple, then add some gems around the top. I am open to suggestions...I really am at a loss as to how to finish it off. I had the rest of it planned but not the top... Help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple pot. w/mosaic on mesh insert

Comments (21)

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Mornin flag. I like your pot. Like what you did with pattern. You say glue mesh to dry. Could you explain? Is it plain mesh with glue added or ?????? I think the purple around top with globs added would pop the vase.

kathy

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Beautiful. FLAG - what is the huge drum-like object on the right in the last picture on the page, and what are you going to do w/it?

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Katie - I glued the small tiles to mesh with Tacky Glue and let it dry, then used thinset to attach to it's spot on the pot. I didn't think I had enough of the Prism pattern to do the insert, so I traced my inset by laying a sheet of mesh (fiberglass mess) over the inset and a marker to mark it off. Then taped it down to a cardboard fabric bolt covered with freezer paper. Glued my tiles to the mesh let it dry awhile, pulled it up and trimmed the mesh and turned it over to dry, then adhered it to the pot.
    Slow- that drum shapped thing is my collapsible trash container for limbs etc. I don't think I will mosaic it.

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Beautiful! What a great idea to do the mesh insert.
    I have no idea what to do with the top, I am stuck finishing the violin. The idea I had may not work so I'm trying to come up with plan B.

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

It's beautiful! I have no suggestions for the top...but you'll come up with something amazing, I'm sure! Oh, and purple grout sounds awesome!....Had another thought, I really like purple and green together, what about a soft green color grout?

• curbdiver1954
    15 years ago

Love the color combination! Not much help on the grout color, I'm afraid....the green does sound interesting, tho.

Pat

• ladyronnie
    15 years ago

Love the pot! Carol, what was the advantage of doing the inset vs mosaicing directly to the pot?

>>>Slow- that drum shapped thing is my collapsible trash container for limbs etc. I don't think I will mosaic it.THIS made me laugh! I sure miss you guys, wish we could get together again!

• sereneseen
    15 years ago

flag,

I love you purple pot. With purple grout or even a pale green, I'm sure you planter will look absolutely great. I can't wait to see what you come up with for the top. One question, what's the brand of the purple grout, where did you get it at, and is it for exterior use?

Thanks,
    Veronica

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Oh, darn. I just wrote you a long response, and lost it. Well, here goes again! I had looked at your site last night and enjoyed what you showed. I think you told me that you drew your pattern on wax paper and then layed the mesh over it and then glued your pieces according to the pattern. Then you turned it over and pulled off the waxed paper. It's a great way to lay out patterns. I love it. Thank you!

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Veronica= This is the gal I get my purple grout from, I also got some dk periwinkle. I have used her grout before and it has held up very well outside. I also get a lot of gems from her. I imagine there are other places to get this stuff, but I really like Jeanne and she and her daughter work hard so I like to support them. Shipping is free w/$100 so what the hey? I like supporting the enterprising people trying to make a living.
    Her grout is like a dream, very smooth and easy to work with. I usually mix the grout with thinset, but will use this as it comes.

Here is a link that might be useful: purple grout

• texaswild
    15 years ago

FLAG: I don't understand why you pay shipping on heavy stuff like grout when the tile store here has all the colors.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

And oh, BTW - saw the pot in person yesterday as well as the newly installed urn. Needless to say I drooled all over the garden again, and came home w/new inspiration to get back to my grotto building.

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't pay shipping Slow, I usually have at least $100 worth of stuff from her. It is usually easier for me to just go ahead and order online as to have to wait until I come to town.
    I am glad you are inspired. I am grouting this am, got the blocks done.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Grouting?!?! Without me??? Oh Man, Love that site!!!

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I only grout without you Jane because you keep promising to help, but haven't seen you yet..
    Wish you were here..

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Flag, I love your new pot, especially love the purple, so this is really to die for. I have bought a bunch of stuff from mosaicyaks too and they are so friendly and the grout colors are great. In fact, i need to put an order in for their hand lotion, that works like invisible gloves, can't remember name, its something like that.

I find myself ordering more an more online, especially with gas prices, we live way out on the island, and its a long way to the closest Lowes or tile store, so I shop around for free shipping offers. Got four gallons of liquid admix that way from Ace one time and it was free shipping.

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mer- I know what you mean about free shipping,if I can't get, I don't order. I try to limit my driving too, it is about 20 miles one way to Texarkana, so when I go I have to have myself lined out and of course, go see Slow while I am up there. I may be going tomorrow for some saw blades and the rest of my list. I use the Invisible gloves too and love it. Jeanne always sends me some samples of it. I ration what I have in the pump bottle.
    I have another order coming from them Monday, can't wait.
    I love the purple and spent this afternoon nipping more Plum Fiesta plates to do the rim. I am using quite small pieces to go up the small curve and putting gems on the top. I will finish tomorrow after I get more saw blades as that Fiesta is hard to nip.

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Flag,

I use the new Fiesta every day for our dishes and just love playing around with the different colors. Haven't tried nipping any of it yet , I just love the work you have done with Fiesta and am just waiting for the right project.

Question. Where do you buy the mosaic mesh from?? And do you find it easier to mosaic curved or awkward substrates with it??

Keep those projects coming, love your work.

by the way, Joann's has free shipping on $25 purchase thru August 3

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I originally got mine from Kathy at Maryland Mosaics, since then I googles fiberglass mesh and have found quite a few suppliers that sell in rolls. I will try them when I start to do a large mosaic. Mermaid, I use the mesh when I am working with small pieces and don't want to work vertical but horizontal, then I can take the whole thing and thinset it up or onto the surface I made it for. I don't use this a lot, but have started using it more and more. I think it would be good for just about anything, stepping stones come to mind as you would only have to lift the stone once and thinset on your design, grout and seal and be done.
    I use fiesta for everyday dishes too and love them, my kitchen is full of Fiesta, I have tried to pull the colors outside with the metal chairs and my mosaics. They are such happy colors.

• Louisiana_greetings
    15 years ago

i like your pot, how bout red grout?
    what do you think about using the mesh for crash glass, put it on befor bopping it? maybe cut the mesh in shapes and glue to back of glass befor hand. there is some stuff that is used with stucco ( scrim) that is kinda sticky, it might work with this also. i have used it with the concrete projects.
    bonnie

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Not a bad idea about the mesh on crash glass.I have some I will try it on. I also have the sticky back I think that is what I will use.
    I am going to do a sample board to figure out the grout, I think I want purple, but lt green and red both sound good. I will do a sample of each and decide.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths